Stuck BX

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Have been very happy with my BX and with only 11 hours on the clock i managed to get it stuck in my fairly flat yard. :D

No 4WD nor diff-lock helped. Guess will go back to cutting my ditch crossways.

Called wife to the rescue and all was good. She told me that i'm probably the only one from all the neighbors that managed to get 4wd tractor stuck cutting grass.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Not having cleated tires is why 4wd was useless. Locking in the rear differential might have helped. Putting anything under the tires for traction would have worked.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Have been very happy with my BX and with only 11 hours on the clock i managed to get it stuck in my fairly flat yard. :D

Called wife to the rescue and all was good. She told me that i'm probably the only one from all the neighbors that managed to get 4wd tractor stuck cutting grass.

That is not really a fair "test" for the 4wd - ass end down in the ditch , front is not going to have any weight on it and the turfs to boot.

Ifn you had a bucket on the front or a hoe on the rear, true you might have still got stuck for a moment, but you would not had to call the wife!!! :D
Shoot a B or JD or any kind of configuration would still be stuck there!

That is the slick as eel sheeit mud there, been there done that with a many a riding mower, with nice shoes on.......you have to get out, pick the rear up, move it six inches then man up and do it again all the while getting mud ALL over you.....and then the wife bitchin' at you when you came inside.....I would rather have the wife pull me out !!!!:D:D:eek:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Don't feel to bad,, remember if you aint getting stuck once in a while you aint havin no fun,,:D Besides looking at all that standing water and as deep as the ditch is, Im not sure a mud bogger would have made it through,,lol

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Hell, my lawnmower would get stuck going across a flat yard. Would be going along and then it would just spin. Very embarrassing to have to get the wife on it while i pushed. At least you had a steep spot and an excuse :) mine was a wet yard and my fat a$$ :rolleyes:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Those slopes don't look too steep for running parallel to the ditch. Just don't get all the way down there. Now, if you had a set of chains for the rear tires, that would do the job better than the ribbed tires. Oh you mean you never have attached chains while stuck? It's time you learned that also.

Polishammer

Jul 22, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Hah, i don't think any type of tires would help in this case. Tried to back out as soon as the front dropped in, but it did not work either. Wet grass, on a hill with not enough weight and you end up walking. If you look at the pic, even 3 point hitch is on the ground.

Nevertheless, it was fun and i always have full recovery set on hand from my 4wheeling days so nothing gets stuck for long. :D

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Time to get a truck load or two of 2"-4" quarry spalls and get that ditch dealt with, not filled mind you, but a good layer at the bottom. The water will still flow and you won't get stuck again.

David

BXman98

Equipment
Kubota BX2370 MMM rear blade
Oct 20, 2014
St.Albans VT

If you decide to mow the way that you did when you got stuck again you might want to look into some front end weights for your tractor because when your tractor is in that position all of the weight is transferred to the back or middle of the tractor there for there is no weight put on the front tires your four wheel drive wont work unless if you have some sort of weight on the front end.

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA

Polishhammer,

These guys are all wrong. All you had to do was to put more blinker fluid in the front blinkers. You'd pull right out!

Burt

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Polishhammer,

These guys are all wrong. All you had to do was to put more blinker fluid in the front blinkers. You'd pull right out!

Burt
Wrong again!:eek:
Chrome plated muffler bearings is the way to go.:D

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
old lesson from my dad... always cross ditches diagonally! Your 4WD would've worked perfectly. Only 1 tire at a time is in the muck.

Thoughts for future crossings... :D

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
old lesson from my dad... always cross ditches diagonally! Your 4WD would've worked perfectly. Only 1 tire at a time is in the muck.

Or you end up with 2 wheels in the air and 2 on the ground di-anglely from each other.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Or you end up with 2 wheels in the air and 2 on the ground di-anglely from each other.
Possible if you come in at a sharp angle but even then, the other two wheels solidly on the ground should power you right out of it, however, you should be targeting an angle that lets each wheel negotiate the ditch bottom at a different time from the others.

If you talk to the rock crawler guys, they do their thing with this principle all the time!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just remember,,, way back in the day when we ran the power and gas lines in some what un streetable rides,, if ya wasn't getting stuck ya wasn't haven no fun :D

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Time to get a truck load or two of 2"-4" quarry spalls and get that ditch dealt with, not filled mind you, but a good layer at the bottom. The water will still flow and you won't get stuck again.

David
That's a really good idea.
Fill the bottom 6-8" with nice stone and you can cut that lawn parallel, diagonal, or upside down.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba

My dad crossed a ditch in his Ford truck straight on and sure as shit we were stuck. The second he realized it he muttered to himself.
"should have gone in diagonally"

That's a lesson I will always remember.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have driven my 80 power wagon diagonally across ditches that if i went any other way i would be stuck. But- a lift and 35" tires make it possible. The small machines with no suspension travel will suffer. Even four corners locked its iffy.
The french drain or filling with stone works very well. Only other way is a tow behind offset mower. My little lawn tractor gets stuck on the lawn on a cloudy day. It doesent take much soft ground to plug up the turf tires.

My advice- put a good winch on the front end.