Jobs everywhere, no workers.....

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
That's alright. I just tuck my hair up under my hat and go on in.
I don't like wearing a hat. I've reached a point (72) I don't give a sh#% if my current employer thinks unkindly about my shoulder length grey hair. I'm not cutting it. It's nice to have a good mailbox income so I don't have to have a job .

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Yeah, I don't actually have long hair. I did for a short period in highschool... Like MagicMan's sig says, I was young and dumb once. I may still be dumb, but at least I outgrew that part. It was not a good fit.

Square_Root_Pharms

Equipment
M5-111
Apr 21, 2021
Maine
I believe the condition is called "swamp butt".

And I am a survivor.
So glad I left Houston and relocated to Maine!

Forget trying to get any help for laborers up here! I was paying $30 an hour for unskilled labor help around the house basically that meant no shows as well now they're getting 40 an hour... This is unskilled labor around the house! I had a carpenter that would help out with small tasks who is now wanting 90 an hour. This is also a kid with low skills only a few years hands-on experience!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The wife and I decided to go to the Cracker Barrel for "breakfast" this evening. Nope, no workers so we went to the Waffle House, and again nope, no workers.

So we came home. I made the toast while the bacon was in the microwave, and she fried a few eggs. 😋

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The wife and I decided to go to the Cracker Barrel for "breakfast" this evening. Nope, no workers so we went to the Waffle House, and again nope, no workers.

So we came home. I made the toast while the bacon was in the microwave, and she fried a few eggs. 😋
Plenty of hungry college kids and teenagers here to fill the waitstaff positions at local restaraunts. Course we are buisiness as usual, full capacity seating.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Just went thru Popeyes tonight. Help Wanted $14 - 17 per hour to start.

My son just interviewed at a high end RV plant. Only $15 -17 to start. It does pay benefits but you supply your own mechanic tools. They charge $140/hour and pay $15-17 per hour for repairs.

Something is just not right. Fry chicken or build a 2.5 million dollar RV and make the same money.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
There was a Doctor about 50 years ago who came up with some ideas a lot of parents followed.
My mother named her hairbrush after that doctor.

I was considerably older before I understood the irony of the good doctor's backside meeting my backside.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
So are we supposed to be except with the free $$$ no one wants/needs to work.
The ones working most likely didn't qualify for free money. Arkansas is doing away with the extra money the first week of June.

I see lots of help wanted signs posted.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Yes, we are also phasing out the Fed $$$.

There are plenty of "Help Wanted" signs but not many "Wanting Help".

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Just went thru Popeyes tonight. Help Wanted $14 - 17 per hour to start.

My son just interviewed at a high end RV plant. Only $15 -17 to start. It does pay benefits but you supply your own mechanic tools. They charge $140/hour and pay $15-17 per hour for repairs.

Something is just not right. Fry chicken or build a 2.5 million dollar RV and make the same money.
The answer would be clear to me. I sure am glad there are people willing to work at fast food joints (when there ARE people willing to work, anyway), but I just could not cut it. I spent one new years night helping out in the clubhouse while I was working at a golf course and that's more food service than I've ever wanted to do. Working at an RV plant sounds pretty cool. I'd love to be an engineer designing them.

jkrez

Equipment
Gr2120, LX3310, bh77 hoe, 64 inch commercial snow blower, landpride pallet forks
Apr 16, 2021
Berks County PA
I work for a very large corporation with good benefits, solid pay and a safe environment. We can't get people to come in for scheduled interviews. Then once a person is hired they often don't show up for their first shift. It has also become very common for people to just walk out and not come back.
We used to be painting contractors. I have had people that I hired tell me that they make more on unemployment. I was waiting on one guy on his first day. He was late. I called and his S.O. told me he was still in bed. I told her to wake his lazy ass up he is supposed to be here for work. He got on the phone and said he is collecting max unemployment and was not going to take the job.
Two separate times I contacted The unemployment office and had to go to a hearing. Both lost and the one guy had to pay back 3 months of unemployment.
I told the hearing folks that if they would give employers a %of what they saved, more employers would do the same. Both times I lost a day of work.
The guy that owed the money back ended up in the same elevator as me. Glad it was in a government buil and he could not have a gun. The air was so thick it could be cut with a knife.

Reactions: 1 user

spittinfire

May 4, 2021
NC
We used to be painting contractors. I have had people that I hired tell me that they make more on unemployment. I was waiting on one guy on his first day. He was late. I called and his S.O. told me he was still in bed. I told her to wake his lazy ass up he is supposed to be here for work. He got on the phone and said he is collecting max unemployment and was not going to take the job.
Two separate times I contacted The unemployment office and had to go to a hearing. Both lost and the one guy had to pay back 3 months of unemployment.
I told the hearing folks that if they would give employers a %of what they saved, more employers would do the same. Both times I lost a day of work.
The guy that owed the money back ended up in the same elevator as me. Glad it was in a government buil and he could not have a gun. The air was so thick it could be cut with a knife.
I wish more people held them accountable like that. I'm all for helping someone get back on their feet or through a tough time but I have no patience for abusing the system like that.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My mother named her hairbrush after that doctor.

I was considerably older before I understood the irony of the good doctor's backside meeting my backside.
Torch, I was referring to Dr. Benjamin Spock's 1946 book declaring spanking a child did not good. Since his book has been practiced violence has sky-rocketed in our nation.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
We are living the fruits of what I predicted would happen back over a year ago when we started shutting down everything over covid. I remember in several conversations repeating the same thing - That shutting down everything would not help us with covid, it would just add a 2nd pain, that being the destruction of our economy and employment. That is largely what has happened now. Covid still rampaged across the country. I never understood, and still don't understand, why so many intelligent people thought that government mandated shutdowns were going to help anything. I don't even say that as a partisan or as someone just wanting to make a political statement - I legitimately want to understand the logic behind how a shutdown was supposed to do anything. They allowed certain stores and business's to remain open, as they were deemed critical. Things like grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. Lowes and other big box stores also stayed open, in the middle of government mandated lockdowns...So the virus was always going to linger, linger, linger through the lockdown among the people still going out, and as soon as lockdown lifts BOOM a resurge of cases as people holed up in their houses came out after months of isolation. When its all said and done, Covid would still be there, and we will have added massive economic struggles on top of it. It all seems very logical to me how this played out. Id be curious to know how many lives were actually saved by locking down everything. I would be open to seeing that data if there were a legitimate way to quantify it, I am not blinded by partisan politics where I cant look at data and acknowledge a flaw in my logic or position.

I work for the government, as Ive shared on these boards before, and I can say in my little corner of the job market, Ive not seen the employment issues. Then again - most of us in my corner never shut down. We worked right through the pandemic as I work in a capacity that is essential. All of my co workers and others we network with are all still in place. I have seen the impact of the employment issues however here in stores, restaurants, and fast food places. My wife also, who is a director of nursing in a medical facility is struggling massively with staffing problems - in particular with CNA's. To those who may not know, a CNA is the lowest peg on the medical tree. (CNA stands for certified nursing assistant) CNA's do most of the grub work in a medical facility. They answer the buzzers, they bring your food, they help you shower, they wipe your butt and clean you up. They often do a lot of the harder day to day work. They also make up the majority of the workforce on the nursing staff. It is becoming impossible right now to keep CNA's. They are all leaving and working for agencies now. The fast food place right next to my wife's nursing facility is offering higher wages than CNA's are currently paid in the building. wipe butts and take care of sick people, or just flip hamburgers and make more money? Or stay home and collect unemployment if you meet the requirements and make more than both of them. Its something my wife is trying to address but its a mess right now in healthcare, an absolute mess. I could not work in her industry.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Torch, I was referring to Dr. Benjamin Spock's 1946 book declaring spanking a child did not good. Since his book has been practiced violence has sky-rocketed in our nation.
Actually, the 1946 book he was somewhat supportive of spanking, writing ''I'm not particularly advocating spanking, but I think it is less poisonous than lengthy disapproval, because it clears the air, for parents and child.''

It was later on when he reversed his position. In the 1986 revision he wrote that spanking taught ''children that the larger, stronger person has the power to get his way whether or not he is in the right.'' and the ''American tradition of spanking'' might contribute to violence.

I somewhat agree. I used spanking as a last resort in cases were the child's actions placed, or would place, their life in jeapardy. 99% of the time I used non-corporal forms of punishment or, preferably, made them suffer the consequences of their own actions, ensuring that even a child could understand that it was their own actions that caused their misfortune. I believe that is the best way to teach personal responsibility.

But I also believe that parents should have the spanking option for that 1% when nothing else will drive the lesson home. I don't accept that spanking is automatically child abuse. I also think the effectiveness is greater when it is rarely applied. I know as a child that the teacher's strap black leather strap was just another inconvenience to be suffered. However, the principal had a red leather strap reputed to contain a strip of metal and reserved for the greatest of offenses. THAT was universally feared. ;-)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
We are living the fruits of what I predicted would happen back over a year ago when we started shutting down everything over covid. I remember in several conversations repeating the same thing - That shutting down everything would not help us with covid, it would just add a 2nd pain, that being the destruction of our economy and employment. That is largely what has happened now. Covid still rampaged across the country. I never understood, and still don't understand, why so many intelligent people thought that government mandated shutdowns were going to help anything. I don't even say that as a partisan or as someone just wanting to make a political statement - I legitimately want to understand the logic behind how a shutdown was supposed to do anything. They allowed certain stores and business's to remain open, as they were deemed critical. Things like grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. Lowes and other big box stores also stayed open, in the middle of government mandated lockdowns...So the virus was always going to linger, linger, linger through the lockdown among the people still going out, and as soon as lockdown lifts BOOM a resurge of cases as people holed up in their houses came out after months of isolation. When its all said and done, Covid would still be there, and we will have added massive economic struggles on top of it. It all seems very logical to me how this played out. Id be curious to know how many lives were actually saved by locking down everything. I would be open to seeing that data if there were a legitimate way to quantify it, I am not blinded by partisan politics where I cant look at data and acknowledge a flaw in my logic or position.

I work for the government, as Ive shared on these boards before, and I can say in my little corner of the job market, Ive not seen the employment issues. Then again - most of us in my corner never shut down. We worked right through the pandemic as I work in a capacity that is essential. All of my co workers and others we network with are all still in place. I have seen the impact of the employment issues however here in stores, restaurants, and fast food places. My wife also, who is a director of nursing in a medical facility is struggling massively with staffing problems - in particular with CNA's. To those who may not know, a CNA is the lowest peg on the medical tree. (CNA stands for certified nursing assistant) CNA's do most of the grub work in a medical facility. They answer the buzzers, they bring your food, they help you shower, they wipe your butt and clean you up. They often do a lot of the harder day to day work. They also make up the majority of the workforce on the nursing staff. It is becoming impossible right now to keep CNA's. They are all leaving and working for agencies now. The fast food place right next to my wife's nursing facility is offering higher wages than CNA's are currently paid in the building. wipe butts and take care of sick people, or just flip hamburgers and make more money? Or stay home and collect unemployment if you meet the requirements and make more than both of them. Its something my wife is trying to address but its a mess right now in healthcare, an absolute mess. I could not work in her industry.
Tornado, it is not the what, but the how the concept was implemented. Everything you say follows from poor and erratic implementation. Lockdown and masking worked fine in New Zealand, Australia, and Taiwan. They have had few deaths, little damage to the economy other than that lost to the tourist trade, and “essential workers” meaning nearly everyone kept on working. Schools reopened quickly. This country with a patchwork of rules and a subpopulation determined to do as they darn well pleased was bound to suffer both large numbers of deaths and a messed up economy. I grieve at the losses of life and the expenditure of money that could have been better spent on something else.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
... and a subpopulation determined to do as they darn well pleased
You mean us deplorables? Yeah we did what we damned well pleased and we also continued to work, raise our kids and even pay bills too. We didnt get sick and kept on keeping on dispite the obsticles put in the way by the anti freedom communist leaning elite subpopulation.

Reactions: 7 users