Jobs everywhere, no workers.....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The closest I get to National News is "US Farm Report" on RFDTV.....

Just a few minutes ago they had a segment on this issue. In Kansas, a person on unemployment can draw $788/week.

Like others said, some states are discontinuing the federal $300 adder.

I think I heard Montana is doing that also, in favor of a bonus for those returning to work. I would only hope that is a one-time or short-term benefit.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'm quite aware of what many of these applicants are like, which makes it all the more perplexing that when presented with a Dean's List 4.0 college student who is a volunteer firefighter, whose professional references include the local fire chief and assistant chief, they don't even call him back for an interview.

And he doesn't do social media at all. Only reason he has facebook is for messenger.
My experience is years out of date, but I used to get maybe 50 applications for one student lab position, that pretty much all of them were qualified for. I'd try to interview all, but a lot of times what would influence my choice was the students that kept coming back to see if I'd picked someone and to say they were still interested. I figured if they were motivated enough to show up in person to bug me they really did want the job.

I don't know if that could translate to showing up at a big company and asking to speak to someone in the personnel office to "check" on your application?

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I broke down & went back to doing HVAC service work for a big outfit in the nearby big city. The money offered me to un-retire was just too good to turn down. Not as good as when I was the owner but no management problems either, just go fixit .
Such a shortage in this business they hired a dude back that was arrested in a company van doing drugs, and that won't fly with our state license enforcers. I found this out and have allready told the Big Kahuna I will not work with him period.
So ya'll know, I turned 72 last Tuesday . What am I doing working ?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I broke down & went back to doing HVAC service work for a big outfit in the nearby big city. The money offered me to un-retire was just too good to turn down. Not as good as when I was the owner but no management problems either, just go fixit .
Such a shortage in this business they hired a dude back that was arrested in a company van doing drugs, and that won't fly with our state license enforcers. I found this out and have allready told the Big Kahuna I will not work with him period.
So ya'll know, I turned 72 last Tuesday . What am I doing working ?
A valid question. :)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My experience is years out of date, but I used to get maybe 50 applications for one student lab position, that pretty much all of them were qualified for. I'd try to interview all, but a lot of times what would influence my choice was the students that kept coming back to see if I'd picked someone and to say they were still interested. I figured if they were motivated enough to show up in person to bug me they really did want the job.

I don't know if that could translate to showing up at a big company and asking to speak to someone in the personnel office to "check" on your application?
The corporation i work for, the application is online, with a skills test immediately following. Plus attach a resume.

You need to have something in that resume that distinguishes you from the other applicants since they run together.

You have to pass the skills test/ personality questions in order for your application to be viewed.

We have had a position posted for a CDL driver. In the past 4 weeks, they have only had 1 applicant, who is being interviewed this coming week.

Then you have to pass a back ground check, drug test, and squeaky clean drivers license.

Driving record effects the company safety rating which effects getting certain contracts or not. You will be fired for bad driving record, and some infractions are subject to immediate termination, or makes you uneligible for employment.

Background check is a must as well since you could be entering a government facility or nuclear plant.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: So ya'll know, I turned 72 last Tuesday . What am I doing working ?

well you ENJOY doing what you're doing, NO stress, and were brought up right

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I'm quite aware of what many of these applicants are like, which makes it all the more perplexing that when presented with a Dean's List 4.0 college student who is a volunteer firefighter, whose professional references include the local fire chief and assistant chief, they don't even call him back for an interview.

And he doesn't do social media at all. Only reason he has facebook is for messenger.
Man, I have no answer for that at all. That simply makes no sense that there was no return call. Is the company still in business???

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are several things that are different today than in the past. One of the things I learned when training anything: Make the right thing easy and the wrong thing difficult, and be consistent doing it, and make the correction immediately..

There was a Doctor about 50 years ago who came up with some ideas a lot of parents followed. Some of his methods are still used today because people have heard/read the information so many times they believe it's true.

Here is one that society changed, and the population (which also elects politicians) to make it today so parenting isn't parenting!

1620475297705.png

Reactions: 7 users

Steppenwolfe

Equipment
Kubota L3301, MX5100, RTV 1140, ZD331, KX-71, MX5400
Dec 22, 2020
Blue Ridge Mountains
When I was in High School I knew I HAD TO go to college if I was to get out of southern, white trash poverty.

When I got to college, I knew I HAD TO pay for it myself, 'cause no one else was.

When I graduated from college I knew I HAD TO add some skill sets to earn a good living.

When I had my first job I knew I HAD TO become self employed if I didn't want to be under someone else's thumb.

When I finally did start my own business at 23 I knew I HAD TO succeed if I was going to be able to feed my family.

Now... 40 years later... Wifey and I are in a good place, and I don't HAVE TO do anything... except get up every morning and keep at it like I have for the last 50 years of my life. Shoot, that's the EASY part...

Reactions: 2 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Man, I have no answer for that at all. That simply makes no sense that there was no return call. Is the company still in business???
You should see the people they ended up hiring instead...

No worries for him though, he has a job now and starts a paid internship in 3 weeks.

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I feel sorry for folks who live in climates with hot weather and they need a new AC this summer. We've been getting quotes for a new AC/furnace for a month. The components are not available at the suppliers. Offers to change brands, but they also don't have a complete system.

If that's the norm now what will it be when the weather breaks?
I just had a new 2.5 ton Trane AC system installed 2 weeks ago. My installer told me equipment was readily available now. He ordered it on a Thursday and it was in stock and delivered to him the following Tuesday.
I needed a complete change over because old system has Freon and not compatible with the new stuff.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Our Governor is ending Federal Unemployment Benefits because plenty of job opportunities are available.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yes.

It is hard to get excited knowing I am covering my SIL's rent (she has never worked a day in her life) while she sits at home and laughs at me for making it, instead of taking it.
I will raise you, two sister-in-laws and one brother-in-law that complain that the government should be giving them more while the wife and I go to work. Since the mother-in-law has passed, we don't get together anymore.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL

Where do those of us who worked through this whole thing sign up for a bonus?
Good question. Where's our reward for sticking it out, and being 'first-line responders' so the Company could keep collecting profits while sending us into harm's way with no hazardous duty pay or anything to compensate us for the risks we put ourselves in? In fact, their response was a crack-down and limitations on travel/living expenses because of the reduction in sales. That was our fault how? Our reward is paying for the government dole that has already spoiled two generations behind us. No one after the Boomers (my generation), or at least a very small percentage, has anything that resembles a work ethic or any interest in self-sufficiency. They can't manage money, and look at their parents and say "You owe me." This statement would probably have created some dental bills had I been bold enough to say it. Instead, ny response is a printed spreadsheet showing the costs for 18 years of room and board, education, clothing, medical benefits, etc, and "Well, let's sit down and work this out then, and square up the accounts." That'll shut 'em up REAL fast. I've done the same to other parents' kids that I heard say that to their parents. Mine only say it to me ONCE after age 18. Then rent is overdue.

See the second line of my sig. Add to that "No good deed will go unpunished." I keep hoping, though.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I just read that the state of SC will be discontinuing the expanded $300/wk benefit come June. Evidently, they can't find workers either. Good for them. I wish more states would follow their lead.
Alabama is stopping it come June 1, or so the rumors say. Gonna be a buncha crybabies out on the road distracted by their cell phones keeping up with facebook in the morning commute again. I rather enjoy the reduced traffic at the moment.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Possibly due to the quality/qualifications of those that do apply (in order to fulfill unemployment requirements)? My wife is the GM of a fairly large plumbing services company, so, she is the first to "screen" potential candidates that she posts ads for. You'd be amazed at what some of these "candidates" say and do on their applications...not to mention their social media footprint. They leave it all out there for anyone to see. It's quite astounding. :eek:

Perhaps, they should be teaching THAT in school...at a very early age...what you post on social media, can, and will be used against you...perhaps, forever. :oops:
I'll give you three guesses what WAS taught when my generation was in school, and any answer with Facebook or Twitter in it will be wrong. Vocational Agriculture and Shop classes were the cat's pajamas for finding out a skill that can be developed and built on to make one self-sufficient. Certainly made an impact on my career choices.