Jobs everywhere, no workers.....

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
We are living the fruits of what I predicted would happen back over a year ago when we started shutting down everything over covid. I remember in several conversations repeating the same thing - That shutting down everything would not help us with covid, it would just add a 2nd pain, that being the destruction of our economy and employment. That is largely what has happened now. Covid still rampaged across the country. I never understood, and still don't understand, why so many intelligent people thought that government mandated shutdowns were going to help anything. I don't even say that as a partisan or as someone just wanting to make a political statement - I legitimately want to understand the logic behind how a shutdown was supposed to do anything. They allowed certain stores and business's to remain open, as they were deemed critical. Things like grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. Lowes and other big box stores also stayed open, in the middle of government mandated lockdowns...So the virus was always going to linger, linger, linger through the lockdown among the people still going out, and as soon as lockdown lifts BOOM a resurge of cases as people holed up in their houses came out after months of isolation. When its all said and done, Covid would still be there, and we will have added massive economic struggles on top of it. It all seems very logical to me how this played out. Id be curious to know how many lives were actually saved by locking down everything. I would be open to seeing that data if there were a legitimate way to quantify it, I am not blinded by partisan politics where I cant look at data and acknowledge a flaw in my logic or position.

I work for the government, as Ive shared on these boards before, and I can say in my little corner of the job market, Ive not seen the employment issues. Then again - most of us in my corner never shut down. We worked right through the pandemic as I work in a capacity that is essential. All of my co workers and others we network with are all still in place. I have seen the impact of the employment issues however here in stores, restaurants, and fast food places. My wife also, who is a director of nursing in a medical facility is struggling massively with staffing problems - in particular with CNA's. To those who may not know, a CNA is the lowest peg on the medical tree. (CNA stands for certified nursing assistant) CNA's do most of the grub work in a medical facility. They answer the buzzers, they bring your food, they help you shower, they wipe your butt and clean you up. They often do a lot of the harder day to day work. They also make up the majority of the workforce on the nursing staff. It is becoming impossible right now to keep CNA's. They are all leaving and working for agencies now. The fast food place right next to my wife's nursing facility is offering higher wages than CNA's are currently paid in the building. wipe butts and take care of sick people, or just flip hamburgers and make more money? Or stay home and collect unemployment if you meet the requirements and make more than both of them. Its something my wife is trying to address but its a mess right now in healthcare, an absolute mess. I could not work in her industry.
I believe the entire thing was designed to drag it out. I said it over and over, we have never hidden from Covid before this and it has been around for hundreds of years. Or do they know something they are not telling us (like this version of Covid was designed to be worse).

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Tornado, it is not the what, but the how the concept was implemented. Everything you say follows from poor and erratic implementation. Lockdown and masking worked fine in New Zealand, Australia, and Taiwan. They have had few deaths, little damage to the economy other than that lost to the tourist trade, and “essential workers” meaning nearly everyone kept on working. Schools reopened quickly. This country with a patchwork of rules and a subpopulation determined to do as they darn well pleased was bound to suffer both large numbers of deaths and a messed up economy. I grieve at the losses of life and the expenditure of money that could have been better spent on something else.
It is easy to try to blame someone you don't agree with.

Unfortunately, the math and reality do not agree with you. The most locked down places in the country had the worst numbers. The least restrictive (neanderthals in Texas for instance) had better numbers.

Also comparing the USA (over 330 million people) to a country with a lower population than many of our states just shows how much of a stretch you have to go to.

And really, if you believe all the "covid" deaths as reported you are an easy target for bad information. I personally know of several cases with cooked numbers.

Reactions: 4 users

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
So glad I left Houston and relocated to Maine!

Forget trying to get any help for laborers up here! I was paying $30 an hour for unskilled labor help around the house basically that meant no shows as well now they're getting 40 an hour... This is unskilled labor around the house! I had a carpenter that would help out with small tasks who is now wanting 90 an hour. This is also a kid with low skills only a few years hands-on experience!
I'm old and still charging $25, haven't gone up.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
yup we didn't shut down much here either. Restaurants, bars were hit hard but the rest of us stayed at work for the most part.

Here is a question. Since those that receive unemployment covid benefits and eviction due to nonpayment halts and additional benefits for "children" among all the other stimuli decided it paid better to stay home and make more babies, what about this. How does anyone feel about stimulizing the working people? You know those of us who had to work through it?

In my business (2020 and prior 28 years of Kubota repair), we had to work all through it. We also had boats and side-by-side atv's and motorcycles. 2020 was a record year. For 7 months the company was profiting over a million a month, something that they've never done (ever) in the 27 years prior. We were busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest trying to keep up with consumer demands for both equipment AND repairs. But we were stimulated exactly the same as those that either chose to, or didn't have a choice to, sit at the house and make more babies and smoke more pot or whatever. What's your opinion on offering some kind of incentive for people to go back to work and not sit around collecting gubmint handouts?

The last quarter of 2020 I changed jobs. My boss and I over at the other place didn't see eye to eye and this opportunity came up. I couldn't not say no. Higher pay better bennies more time off if needed and my new boss and I are kinda the same in our beliefs, we get along great. Oh, and the stress level plummeted. So long Kubota (for now, I still stay up-to-date on the training even though the old boss tried to cut me out of the training stuff which he can't do per dealer agreement). PRetty sure the old boss said I couldn't handle it, but the truth is, it was a huge step leaving a 30 year job, one I didn't really want to do but as said he didn't leave me no choice. No raise in 7 years no bennie increases, nothing....no incentive to stay when the job markets are HOT. With that said, it could be thought of as a wake-up call for other employers, or dealer management that might be reading this. You have to take care of your customers, and your employees. If not, they're not coming back. Big issue with CAT too, among others. Deere comes to mind as well. The entire industry has employees leaving in droves because employees are tired.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Here is a question. Since those that receive unemployment covid benefits and eviction due to nonpayment halts and additional benefits for "children" among all the other stimuli What's your opinion on offering some kind of incentive for people to go back to work and not sit around collecting gubmint handouts?
My opinion is that the feral goobermint should follow the constitution and regulate interstate commerce and provide for the general defense. All of this other nonsense is simple enslaving the citizens.

Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
What's your opinion on offering some kind of incentive for people to go back to work and not sit around collecting gubmint handouts?
The "carrot" hasn't worked...It's time for the "stick". Instead of offering tax payer funded incentives to get off their lazy arses, how 'bout we remove the free paycheck and assistance for those that are able to work, yet refuse to do it?

enough already.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
The "carrot" hasn't worked...It's time for the "stick". Instead of offering tax payer funded incentives to get off their lazy arses, how 'bout we remove the free paycheck and assistance for those that are able to work, yet refuse to do it?

enough already.
You really need to get out some more and listen to these people. The government owes them the money. They are entitled to free money, free education, free phones, free ............. fill in the blank. And these GD politicians keep reinforcing it.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
You really need to get out some more and listen to these people. The government owes them the money. They are entitled to free money, free education, free phones, free ............. fill in the blank. And these GD politicians keep reinforcing it.
I keep hearing that businesses that can't afford to pay more shouldn't be in business anyway. So I guess only rich people and corporations should open businesses...

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Here’s a good one for you. My girlfriends 26 year old son hasn’t worked since sept 2019. Covid hit right before he was “supposed” to be going to work with the pipe fitters Union. They weren't calling anyone out at the time so he filed for unemployment, he had quit his last job. Started drawing unemployment over a year ago. His former employer disputes his unemployment claim, gets a call from unemployment office. Guy isn’t buying his story and he’s a bit of snowflake, so he tells the guy to go F myself. Brilliant!!! Gets a letter last week stating that he own $30,000. $3000 per month for 10 months.

Mom and dad came together to have a sometype of intervention with him. He wouldn’t answer the door, said he was sleeping, it was 11am.

Now he is pissed at everyone in his life, it’s not his fault of course. So he is holding his beautiful 9 month old daughter against his mom. Oh forgot to mention that part, he has a 9 month baby and has sat on his ass this whole time.

Needless to say I’m not a fan at all. Actually, at this point I wouldn’t p... on him if he was in fire.
Rant over. Lol.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I'm astounded how much has changed since I was a kid. I look back at all the jobs I had and am amazed that some of these kids (young adults actually) have never held down a job a day in their lives. I also grew up in a poor part of the state and just finding a job was very difficult. Now, places are begging for people to work. My, how times have changed.

A Whataburger recently opened up in our town here. Some coworkers and I decided to try it the other day for lunch. Everyone I saw working in there, at least at the counter and in the dining area was at least 65 years old and up! It took me a second to process that, then I realized they probably could not find anyone else younger to work. Truly sad times.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Tornado, it is not the what, but the how the concept was implemented. Everything you say follows from poor and erratic implementation. Lockdown and masking worked fine in New Zealand, Australia, and Taiwan. They have had few deaths, little damage to the economy other than that lost to the tourist trade, and “essential workers” meaning nearly everyone kept on working. Schools reopened quickly. This country with a patchwork of rules and a subpopulation determined to do as they darn well pleased was bound to suffer both large numbers of deaths and a messed up economy. I grieve at the losses of life and the expenditure of money that could have been better spent on something else.
Im really late following up on these posts, but I wanted to make one quick point here that I think is quite valid to your reply. You do make some good points here regarding these three island countries. One massive advantage all 3 countries you mention here have is that you essentially have to fly to get into them, so Its easy to control / lock down travel to and from those countries. Everyone essentially has to go through an airport. Couple that fact with another fact - that the United states is the world leader in travel both into and out of the country - ahead of the 3 countries you mention by many many times over. I think its impossible to compare new zealand to the united states for example, for these reasons. New zealand killed covid by essentially never allowing it to ever begin. I still contend that the way the US handled the lock downs was just never going to do anything aside from prolong the plague, and destroy our economy at the same time. You cant force people home, shut down all small business, btu then leave walmart and Lowes packed with people and expect it to do anything. It just made no logical sense at all.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Im really late following up on these posts, but I wanted to make one quick point here that I think is quite valid to your reply. You do make some good points here regarding these three island countries. One massive advantage all 3 countries you mention here have is that you essentially have to fly to get into them, so Its easy to control / lock down travel to and from those countries. Everyone essentially has to go through an airport. Couple that fact with another fact - that the United states is the world leader in travel both into and out of the country - ahead of the 3 countries you mention by many many times over. I think its impossible to compare new zealand to the united states for example, for these reasons. New zealand killed covid by essentially never allowing it to ever begin. I still contend that the way the US handled the lock downs was just never going to do anything aside from prolong the plague, and destroy our economy at the same time. You cant force people home, shut down all small business, btu then leave walmart and Lowes packed with people and expect it to do anything. It just made no logical sense at all.
My point in citing the 3 countries in which lockdown was successful as a concept, was that the concept can work. That was not to say that it would have been easy for the US. It wasn’t easy in Australia (where I have relatives). Australia at various times has closed borders between states and locked down parts of its big cities; people confined to quarantine in hotels because they had been abroad, broke rules and started flare ups in Melbourne. New restrictions on particular suburbs had to be put into effect, but the general philosophy was this is our best chance let’s get it done. I don’t know how extensive trade in and out of ports was disrupted.

I don’t disagree with you that allowing stores to admit lots of people, ostensibly because building and repair were essential, was a policy that was abused. In Michigan about half the population was opposed to masking and social distancing, so nothing short of closing the bars etc was going to work. We have come close to no hospital beds available once in the Lansing area and for some time during the first surge in Detroit. Lockdowns and restrictions and finally the vaccine have slowed that down. A friend died of Covid 2 days ago after attending bible study meetings held in peoples’ houses in spite of state guidelines. No masks, no vaccinations, they all got it, but only my friend has died.

As I said a subpopulation of folks have no common sense. Given the freedom to choose, the economic and health damage was far worse than it needed to be.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

enough already.
I don't disagree with you. However, the drawn line between able and refusing, and actually not able to is thin, and it's not perfectly drawn. Therein lies the problem.

I can guarantee you that if I could get assistance or a paycheck and didn't have to work, I wouldn't. Well, more specifically I'd probably go to work from home (freelance) and do a lot more fishing.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Just heard the unemployment rate in our county is only 3%. Last year when the shutdown hit really hard, it was 30%. Still nearly every business in the county has help wanted signs out in view, and some even have ads on roadside signs begging for help. From what I see and hear, wages in the RV industry are starting around $15-$20 an hour, with raises after a month or two of good attendance. Some offer additional benefits. Basically, anyone who wants to work can get a decent paying job if they just show up for work every day and are reasonably competent.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Just heard the unemployment rate in our county is only 3%. Last year when the shutdown hit really hard, it was 30%. Still nearly every business in the county has help wanted signs out in view, and some even have ads on roadside signs begging for help. From what I see and hear, wages in the RV industry are starting around $15-$20 an hour, with raises after a month or two of good attendance. Some offer additional benefits. Basically, anyone who wants to work can get a decent paying job if they just show up for work every day and are reasonably competent.
Statistics can lie or at least mislead. I'm pretty sure the government unemployment statistic is based on the number of people drawing unemployment benefits. If your benefits expire before you find a job, you're not counted as unemployed any more.
With all the recent freebies there's no telling how it's computed.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Waffle House is carry out only. There was no wait staff.