The first b5100 Delorean

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks lad's.Its a healthy mix of time and lunacy.

On an aside has anyone used www.tractorclutchzone.com to buy clutch parts?.I can get clutch and pressure plate for around 200 dollars that's less than half the price it is here(Ireland).The only oversea's company that will post to Ireland.Can anyone tell me a different/better source to get clutch parts?

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Thanks lad's.Its a healthy mix of time and lunacy.

On an aside has anyone used www.tractorclutchzone.com to buy clutch parts?.I can get clutch and pressure plate for around 200 dollars that's less than half the price it is here(Ireland).The only oversea's company that will post to Ireland.Can anyone tell me a different/better source to get clutch parts?
shame shame...... all these "atta boys" and "great job" but when you ask for help...... they all disappear.:D All I can do for ya though is bump the thread back to the top.;)

Last edited:

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey John,

All I can say is WOW, man I have done some stuff, but I am totally impressed with your Craftsmanship!!!!

That is going to be one awesome tractor when you are done with it.

Best Regards

Paul

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Hi guys,Thanks for the comments.My clutch is en route...posted it to a friend of mine in new jersey.She is just after sending it on its way to Ireland..:).Havent got up to much on it lately.I want to finish the clutch before I do any more.

Dave thanks for spotting those lights for me...are they 5 1/4" lights on the B5100?When I made my bonnet it I only drilled the holes 4".At the time I was thinking that that might have been an easier size light to source.:mad:

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
I have just measured the lights on mine and they are 5" measuring across the widest part of the metal ring. The glass part that pokes through the orange panel measures about 4.75" at the front. So your holes are a tad too small but may be possible to enlarge them to suit the lights. If these go for a sensible price it would be nice to keep it looking original. :)

barncat

Equipment
L3200HST4X4,66"detach FEL,60"BB,SplitFire30"3pt,KKII,48"Forks
Oct 23, 2012
Indian Springs, AL
So impressed. Great read and awesome pictures. I'm not sure if I'm more amazed at the metal work or that the engine cranked right up...This is real entertainment!

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
So I uploaded a few pics of progress in the last 2 posts.....I must fully weld up my work to date so if there are any pointers to watchout for tell me quick cos hopefully tonight I'll have it finished.

Now I need some advice please.

In the 2nd last pic you can see the splined shaft attached to the flywheel/pulley on the front of the tractor.How do I get this off.I have tried using rust/freeing agents and lubricants.I have heated it with a propane gas torch and gave it a few moderate thumps with the hammer but no budge.I'm afraid of damaging (a) the alumimium casing on the pulley housing and (b)the casing on the engine.Chop and use a puller on the remaining shaft is the obvious one but I really would like to keep the shaft intact.Please help anyone

Attachments

Last edited:

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
no i was hoping that too.its pushed on to the splined shaft and secured by the bolts on the pulley housing so it cant come loose.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I'm stumped for the moment.... maybe some close up pics would help?

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Ive had another look.Still looks like the spline must be pulled off the shaft ..no pin or point of separation on the shaft.Maybe removing the pulley will show me more options.

Attachments

Rob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6000DT / B7100DP /B8200DT/L225/Globe PTO Chipper/Lewis Backhoe/huxley TR66
Nov 22, 2009
Leafy England....
To be really honest, i think you are going to struggle with this one my friend.
There must have been some sort of split pin or similar fixing to keep the shafts together, otherwise they would just come apart, and even if you had a tapered shaft and key there would still need to be some thing to secure it on the shaft.
I have seen three other similar setups on B5100's etc, all of them had a hole through the shafts and then a roll pin or lynch pin through it, but there are prob numerous fittings out there.

I would say you would be better off cutting it off with an angle grinder, rather than keep on getting to heavy handed with it, you stand a very good chance of doing more damage to the end of the crankshaft etc and possible the bearing if you keep on wacking it and heating it up ( been there and done it:( )
Judgeing by your earlier pics with the level of corosion on the tractor, its going to be allmost rusted together and beyond separation.

On another note, judging by the level of corosion on those two shafts, it is very likely that the front pulley will also be rusted beyond repair to the end of the crankshaft, i hope it is not, but all that see air and water does not take any prisoners on this sort of kit.

good luck with it, and i hope you get it sorted, i'd just cut it of now and save any further problems and damage to other parts.

rob

Last edited:

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks rob...as i feared so.
I really dont think there was a split pin in this one.I have filed around where the splined shaft and collar join together and there is nothing, not a pin/ dowl /grub screw etc.Which makes sense to as it can't back off when assembled due to the bolts on the aluminium block holding the front pulley.I have stuck in a photo of it prior to dis-assembly.

Non the less you are right, I think its grinder time.I might redesign it so I can have a split shaft arrangement like you have talked about.Would make changing the belt on the front so much easier.

Attachments

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Wow. I have to agree with Rob- I think that is rusted to an immovable lump. If it were me, and I wanted to attempt to save the shaft, I would use an angle grinder with cutoff wheel to split the outer shaft, parallel with the splines, 180 degrees apart. With a little care, you should be able to split it without hurting the inner spline. (might have to use a Dremel up close to the crank pulley)
With it split, you should be able to use a combination of penetrating oil, heat, tapping & wiggling to get it loose. Then you might be able to weld a collar on the split shaft to reuse it if necessary. Did this 20+ yrs ago on an old logging truck PTO, and I think it is still in service.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Out of curiosity, what was that pulley setup for? Is that an electric clutch behind the big pulley?