The first b5100 Delorean

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks Aardvark,I got the bonnet almost finished I put 100mm holes in for the lights,my thinking was that that was a standard size.Guess when i go to buy lights I'll find out.I might take you up on that offer for a few pics of your B51.But for now I'm still waiting for it to stop raining here.In june alone 228mm of rain,thats 9 inches of rain in one month during the SUMMER WTF.July is heading the same way.If summer is going to be like this then Im lucky this thing is made out of stainless. http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-data.asp?Num=3904.

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
OK John. I tried to find the old thread where the 5100/6100 headlight issue was discussed but couldn't find anything useful, apart from people who had no luck finding a cheaper alternative to the Kubota item also tried LED spotlights and LED bulbs in original Kubota units. The bottom line is the dynamo only puts out a paltry 10 amps so don't go for anything that sucks more than 35 watts per bulb. Good luck.
And the rain is a big issue here in Brittany too, getting fed up with it bigtime.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Gee I haven't been around much lately because our shop is going flat out. I did find a little time today to check out a few threads and this was one of them that I was very pleased to see.

John your doing a fantastic job sir. I do a fair bit of fabrication work myself so I have a good understanding of what it takes to do what your doing.
I got so involved in reading up on the things you've done I missed my lunch but it was well worth it :D

You have the same rusting issues as we do here on the island of Newfoundland. On a quiet night you can hear a tractor rust around here :)
I just wanted to post and tell you that your doing a fantastic bit of work and I'll be following this thread from here on in.
Keep up the good work!

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Wildfire,I'm humbled that you you have enjoyed the post.Its because of you and the likes of you on this website that I have attempted this project.I was making so much progress up till monsoon season!!!!.Its depressing looking out at my stainless project turning greeen with mould.I have landed the bonnet up loosely on the frame.Needs plenty more work but its a start.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I do a fair bit of fabrication work myself so I have a good understanding of what it takes to do what your doing.

Well if that aint the understatement of the year,,,LMAO,,
Your doing a grand job on the little guy, tis a shame you dont have a shed to work in,, Keep it up!!!

Wildfire

Equipment
Wildfire,I'm humbled that you you have enjoyed the post.Its because of you and the likes of you on this website that I have attempted this project.I was making so much progress up till monsoon season!!!!.Its depressing looking out at my stainless project turning greeen with mould.I have landed the bonnet up loosely on the frame.Needs plenty more work but its a start.
Thank you John for your kind words. I know what you mean about the stainless turning green but at least it won't rust out. Maybe if you waxed it or clear coated it or just spray some light oil over it when it's parked. That would stop it from turning green ;)
Outstanding work sir. Tip my lid to you. I'll be watching.

Wildfire

Equipment
I do a fair bit of fabrication work myself so I have a good understanding of what it takes to do what your doing.

Well if that aint the understatement of the year,,,LMAO,,
I said I do it but I didn't say I was good at it lol :D
Here's a little news flash for ya. We are in talks right now to do something on tv in the shop. It's still in the very early stages but it might happen if its good for us and them. The producer seems optimistic. It will be for the Dscovery Channel. :cool:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
OUTSTANDING,,,now when Im watching TV I can say
<<<<<HEY I KNOW THAT GUY!!!!!>>>>>>:D

Wildfire

Equipment
OUTSTANDING,,,now when Im watching TV I can say
<<<<<HEY I KNOW THAT GUY!!!!!>>>>>>:D
Ah it's still eary yet. Just nice to know their interested. You'll have to come on upanne be a special quest. Now that would be fun.
A few years ago a friend of mine was getting his car serviced at a local car dealership. The guy behind the counter asked him if that was his buddy (me) that was in the magizene article he just finished reading. He replied, "sure is but I knew him before he became famous" :D

My prediction is I'm going to get up tomorrow morning, put on my boots and go out to the shop. Nothing more, nothing less ;)

Sorry for high jacking your thread John. I need my fix of more photos sir :)

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Alright boys,I'm back in the game again.Built a garage to house my little shiny tractor so there's no stopping me now.I have continued with my drive to spend as little as possible to get this thing back in the field.....Mean Jean gave me a great idea on how to replace my shot rear wheels,painted the front ones after a bit of remedial work.See pics below.I have fired up the engine,started after a few turns, very little smoke and no unwanted noise.great stuff!!!The one thing I did notice is that my clutch pedal doesnt seem to be doing anything.possibly seized,possibly hasn't worked in years I dont know.Looks like I'm splitting the engine and gearbox next to investigate the cause..Hopefully it isnt anything major.

Attachments

Last edited:

Battered Sav

Equipment
L2000DT (L225DT) Tiller, Slasher, Finishing mower, Ripper, grader/ripper, PHD.
Oct 1, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Great work John. I really enjoyed reading the thread and looking at the pics, well done.
Please keep the updates coming, looking forward to watching your progress.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks lads.I was hoping once I get this clutch back together that I would begin to rewire then rebuild.......just spotted that where the front axle is bolted on is completly corroded....barely hanging on:(.Continue strippin i guess.I'm going to know every bolt on this little beast.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well from one black hearted Irishman to another,,,I think your a bit nuts but damn I wish I could do stuff like that;)

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Skeets with your Irish roots you'll know the importance of having a "project" to try keep out of the pub.Only thing is I aimed to stay out for a month or two not a decade.:eek: