Sometimes you just have to say it...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Too good to not copy and paste.

Dear #WalMart & #CVS, #HomeDepot and all other retail stores that almost exclusively utilizes self-checkout.

The last time I was there an employee was checking receipts at the exit and was stopping everyone. I didn't choose to participate in that nonsense, so I just skipped the exit line and walked out the door.
I heard her saying "Mam, Um Mam, as I kept walking and raised the receipt above my head, leaving the store. You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put cashiers back in place like it used to be.

I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. You want me to be a cashier with no training then that's your problem not mine.

Don’t audit me for a position you refuse to employ.

Signed, All of us

• Love
Reactions: 23 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Too good to not copy and paste.

Dear #WalMart & #CVS, #HomeDepot and all other retail stores that almost exclusively utilizes self-checkout.

The last time I was there an employee was checking receipts at the exit and was stopping everyone. I didn't choose to participate in that nonsense, so I just skipped the exit line and walked out the door.
I heard her saying "Mam, Um Mam, as I kept walking and raised the receipt above my head, leaving the store. You can either trust me to do self-checkout, or you can put cashiers back in place like it used to be.

I'm not interested in proving that I did your job for you. You want me to be a cashier with no training then that's your problem not mine.

Don’t audit me for a position you refuse to employ.

Signed, All of us
Doesn't sit well with me either. Had that discussion recently on another forum. Opinions varied.

If you care to read through all of it:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ok here at the local retailer they're all self-checkout now. But standing in front of the store, there are at least 8 associates that just stand there watching people check out. That's all they do. Stand there. If someone has a problem (and they often do), then they're supposed to help. Sometimes they check receipts.

This practice of just standing there for hours is not good. It's not good for the body, the brain, nothing. IMO if you can just stand there and do nothing, go to the house and don't come back. I refuse to work with lazy people. what a waste of resources, paying someone to just stand there. If they're gonna pay people to do that, put them back on the checkout where they actually EARN their salary; and they'll also get a little exercise, as well as interact with customers which IMO is very important.

Reactions: 1 user

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
So this person is high and mighty and thinks it is just so damn grand to give grief to an hourly employee that is just trying to get by. You don't like the way Walmart checks you , fine, shop elsewhere ! Leave the rank and file alone.

Back off my soap box.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
So this person is high and mighty and thinks it is just so damn grand to give grief to an hourly employee that is just trying to get by. You don't like the way Walmart checks you , fine, shop elsewhere ! Leave the rank and file alone.

Back off my soap box.
That was the sentiments of a few in my discussion. Though it wasn't about the hourly employee really....rather the store policy. Not about being 'high and mighty' in the least, but sticking to principles, something many people lack these days...IMO.

Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Perhaps if the rank and file hear enough grief they will have a discussion with those in charge to indicate some changes need to be made.

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Perhaps if the rank and file hear enough grief they will have a discussion with those in charge to indicate some changes need to be made.

I don't know how much 'influence' the hourly employees have (at least with Walmart) but I suspect it is little to none. Unfortunately they are the 'first point of contact' in some situations....as they are the poor saps charged with carrying out this ridiculous policy.

I shop often at our local store the fella there most often just waves me through now...with a knowing 'nod'.

Sometimes there is a female 'checker' and I just hand her my receipt and keep on walking with my basket. I expect she will figure it out too eventually. It is nothing against the employee....I fully understand they are doing as directed. But I refuse to comply with the store policy of wholesale checks for receipts when they have no reason for doing so.

IF they still employed 'theft prevention' personnel and observed someone leaving the store without paying...that would be different. I certainly support that. Instead they choose to treat everyone as a potential thief. Poor policy if you ask me.

I'm not arguing if that is their 'right'.... so those inclined to pipe up about that....save it.

They freely admit you are not legally bound to stop or show your receipt unless an associate/management has reasonable suspicion that you have stolen something. And I refuse to be treated like a thief (which I am not). Others are free to submit to any and all 'policies' asked of them.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I get both sides of it, but for me it’s not that big of a deal…

I prefer self a check out TBH, in my experience cashiers are often retirees that just like to talk (nothing wrong with that, but it’s not me) or younger folks that are pissed off that they have to get out of bed and work because life wasn’t what they were promised. I will gladly do it myself to avoid either one.

Walmart around here only stops you if something is not bagged. No big deal, we always just give the receipt to the kids to give the greeter anyways, teaching them honesty in my mind 🤷‍♂️. Kroger, Home Depot, lowes never been asked that I can remember.

Last edited:

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Ok here at the local retailer they're all self-checkout now. But standing in front of the store, there are at least 8 associates that just stand there watching people check out. That's all they do. Stand there. If someone has a problem (and they often do), then they're supposed to help. Sometimes they check receipts.

This practice of just standing there for hours is not good. It's not good for the body, the brain, nothing. IMO if you can just stand there and do nothing, go to the house and don't come back. I refuse to work with lazy people. what a waste of resources, paying someone to just stand there. If they're gonna pay people to do that, put them back on the checkout where they actually EARN their salary; and they'll also get a little exercise, as well as interact with customers which IMO is very important.
The problem is, so very few of them can actually count out change from a till. When they try, there's usually someone like ME that comes along and puts $7.11 down on the counter for a $6.61 bill. They melt. They start drooling. They try to give me the 11 cents back because they cannot comprehend that I just wanted 2 quarters back that are a lot more useful than a penny and a dime. Sometimes, I just PICK the cashier that I know is going to have that breakdown. Then, I give 'em 'the stare' when they short change me or try to give the dime and penny back so they don't have to think, and I REFUSE to tell 'em the answer is 50 cents.

I LOVE doing this in fast food places in the drive-thru. I've even been asked "Do you have a debit card instead?" MORONS.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
So I take it you're fine with people stealing from these businesses rather than have them take a simple check of the contents of your shopping cart? The losses from theft are not small change and are reflected in the prices of the goods you buy there. But I guess you're okay with that.
Also, when you enter their premises to shop, you are bound to abide by their policies and/or rules, or you can take your business elsewhere, just as restaurants can refuse to serve patrons who are improperly attired.
If you don't like being checked, shop elsewhere and quitcherbitchin'.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
So I take it you're fine with people stealing from these businesses rather than have them take a simple check of the contents of your shopping cart? The losses from theft are not small change and are reflected in the prices of the goods you buy there. But I guess you're okay with that.
Also, when you enter their premises to shop, you are bound to abide by their policies and/or rules, or you can take your business elsewhere, just as restaurants can refuse to serve patrons who are improperly attired.
If you don't like being checked, shop elsewhere and quitcherbitchin'.
IF this is addressed to me....you'll find all my replies and positions in the link I posted in reply #2. As well as the thoughts of others (both for and against).

The trouble with folks just 'going along' with any policy that comes down the pike (rather than try to change it) is that it produces a whole lot of 'sheeple'. We have far too many of those in this country now a days. Read the thread in the other forum and THEN come back here with any rebuttals you may have. Happy to entertain them.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sorry to hear that some folks abuse the privilege of doing their own groceries. I like to check my own because it is one set fewer of germy hands handling my food and I can bag it the way I like it. I have never been asked for a receipt at either Meijers or Krogers, where there is only one of two bays of self check machines, and plenty of lanes for regular checkout. But hearing about people getting charged for theft when they didn't makes me nervous. My other choice in grocery stores is a small market which doesn't offer self check, but is closer and routinely sends a kid out to put the groceries in your car for you. Guess where I prefer to go these days.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I ignore them too. If I am going to scan and pack my stuff then I'll check my own receipt too. No grief, I just leave the rank n file alone and we both go on about our day.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I have a friend who went to Walmart and purchased over $100 of food items and went thru the self check out, but didn't pay for the items. He took them to his truck and while still in town picking up feed realized he did not pay. He went back to the store and asked the person there to look on the tape of the machine he was at and tell him what he owed. The girl's reply was not to worry about it, it happens all the time. She would NOT look at the tape in the register or film to try to find the amount. He carried the bags back into the store and used the same register so if the manager looked on the camera they'd have evidence he'd been there and came back.

The gal who watches the self checkout told him it happens all the time. They just let it go!

i think lost by theft in Walmart's is in the neighborhood of 16% of sales.

• Wow

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I refuse to use the self check out. I want to see as many people employed in the store as possible, and for the store to flourish as a result of offering the checkout and bagging service. Home Depot has done away with all but one checkout counter. I don't shop there any longer. I prefer Lowes which honors our veterans with a 10% discount every day, 365 days a year, except for the holidays when the stores are closed.

Reactions: 2 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I saw this the other day:

I got kicked out of the Walmart break room today... They asked me what I was doing there... I said, "I'm on break what do you think? " They said "but you don't work here" I told them, "I just went through the self check out, clearly I do"

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
I refuse to use the self check out. I want to see as many people employed in the store as possible, and for the store to flourish as a result of offering the checkout and bagging service. Home Depot has done away with all but one checkout counter. I don't shop there any longer. I prefer Lowes which honors our veterans with a 10% discount every day, 365 days a year, except for the holidays when the stores are closed.
Just so you know, HD does too. But.... you have to have an account. They scan your phone when you pull up the app.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Just so you know, HD does too. But.... you have to have an account. They scan your phone when you pull up the app.

great ,will HD BUY me a phone ? I'm old enough to NOT have one....

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
i think lost by theft in Walmart's is in the neighborhood of 16% of sales.
I don't now if that figure is correct....but for arguments sake...let's say it is.

It begs the question: Why not hire and USE theft protection personnel (like they used to do) to man cameras and aggressively prosecute thieves.

Instead they choose to stop patrons with 'un-bagged' items and check receipts.

In most cases an un-bagged item is simply something too large to fit in a grocery bag. In no way does this necessarily translate to 'value'. A bag of Deer Corn won't fit in a bag. A case of paper towels won't either. Why would anyone 'assume' these items were not paid for?

A 'thief' will most often try to HIDE a stolen item, meaning it would be bagged or hidden on the their person anyway. Doesn't make sense to me....to check (basically suspect/accuse) every shopper in hopes of finding a few thieves. No other store/company I shop at does this. I am told that Sams Club 'can' do this (at their discretion) since you agree to it with your membership.

It IS Walmart's prerogative to institute any store policies they see fit (within the confines of the law). I am not arguing that. I AM arguing whether or not it is an effective tool for them and I question the veracity of those who summarily submit to 'checks'. Those who just 'go along, what does it hurt' folks.

Walmart can not legally detain you or require you to stop (under Shopkeepers Privilege law) unless they have Probable Cause to do so. So IF you choose to just 'go along' fine....that is your choice. Personally, I have better things to do.

Walmart...at their choosing can ban you from shopping at their store for failure to abide to store policies. In which case it would be criminal trespass if you were to return afterward. So far....that has not happened to me or anyone else I know and I don't expect it will.

In my case (living near a small college town) there isn't another place to shop that offers the same variety of goods. So that 'you are free shop elsewhere if you don't like it' quip isn't so easily put to practice. But moreover....there shouldn't be any need to do so. All the other stores in my community understand this and don't insult their customers.

jkrubi12

Equipment
B2601/LA435/QA54"/BH70/B8160box/BB1254/PFL1242/SGC0554/WC-68 Chipper
Sep 24, 2012
right coast
THX for that link T E T .... (y)

I guess I'm really getting old b/c I've 'succumbed' to the war-mart receipt checkers; the store I frequent actually post signs instructing exiting customers to have their receipts 'handy'. I routinely hold my receipt in my hand as I'm rolling out and if I get stopped, it's almost always short & sweet, albeit irksome. I attribute the policy as an effort to reduce blatant shoplifting, which I'm in favor of as I see it as reducing the overall cost to the rest of us. I've seen videos of shoplifters with huge carts of high-value items (including meats) who just load up, rush out, toss the goods in a vehicle & scoot. Peeps gotta be pretty desperate to do something like that; I actually feel some sorrow for a person who has resorted to such methods. :cry:

The thought of being accused of 'stealing' while operating a self-checkout is absolutely infuriating IMO. And the revelation of persons regularly 'missing' checking out & getting away with it is outrageous as well.

A local grocery store I frequent generally has only 3-4 cashiers working (they have approx 10-12 cashier lanes available) and the self-checkout is always so busy they have a 'checker' posted at the entrance to self-checkout directing customers to particular stations based on whether you are paying with card or cash. There's always a line of customers waiting for a 'station' at the self checkout. I've been shopping that store for 40 years. :oops: