Site locking up again

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The problem I've had in the past with the site locking up after loading one or two pages is back, but far worse than it was before. After getting on the site (normal) and loading the first page, (normal) the site locks up, requiring multiple reloads, (only works sometimes) forced reloads, or quitting the browser completely. I have cleared my caches & reset the browser (Safari on an IMac) multiple times, with no effect. It has gotten to the point where the site is virtually unusable. Help!

I should also mention that this is the only site I have trouble with- all others operate flawlessly.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
The problem I've had in the past with the site locking up after loading one or two pages is back, but far worse than it was before. After getting on the site (normal) and loading the first page, (normal) the site locks up, requiring multiple reloads, (only works sometimes) forced reloads, or quitting the browser completely. I have cleared my caches & reset the browser (Safari on an IMac) multiple times, with no effect. It has gotten to the point where the site is virtually unusable. Help!

I should also mention that this is the only site I have trouble with- all others operate flawlessly.
Got a laptop of internet usable phone? If so go to a local McDonalds to see if the same problem exist for you there. That might help you determine if it is your ISP and not OTT. Think I got this right; ISP's at times blocks certain ranges of IP addresses due to high load of spam from somewhere in that range. Then they slowly return some of the range to discover more specifically where the spam is coming from. While this is happening one can't reach certain websites while other sites work fine cause they are not in the range they blocked.

In the mean time.... anyone else having such an issue?

Last edited:

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
Lil Foot, Coach may be on to something. I have been home sick for past three days and I have been on this site a lot. I too was using iMac and safari. I am on a reliable DSL connection. I have not had any issues.

Can you tell us a little about your ISP / provider and speed of connection?

Assuming you are on some sort of high speed connection can you unplug your modem for 2 minutes and then power up again. This will allow your modem to grab a new IP address. I know that on occasion I will see problems with numerous sites and rebooting the modem has solved it.

While we don't know details of your home network I wonder if you might have multiple devices sharing your network and there is an internal network IP conflict.

Still reaching but if you are connecting to your modem via Wifi are,there other there other devices that could be interfering. I had an old cordless telephone that could bring down my network.

I know you said it was just this site so that is troubling and thus my admission to reaching. At one point I owned a wireless ISP so I have dabbled in this kind of stuff and it can be infuriating trying to figure out what is going on.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
OK, you both may be on to something. I'm doing this from my tablet using my provider (cox) and everything seems normal. The IMac is the only device on the home modem, so I will reset the modem when I get home later today. Fingers crossed.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You guys are the man! (or men) Resetting the modem did it! I can peruse the site with a smile on my face instead of thinking dark thoughts about blowing away my computer with a shotgun.
Thanks for saving my sanity.:D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lil Foot, isn't it refreshing when things can be fixed so easily!

Remember, was it 20 years ago, when it was declared computers would save time, paper and our lives!!! I don't know about any of it.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You guys are the man! (or men) Resetting the modem did it! I can peruse the site with a smile on my face instead of thinking dark thoughts about blowing away my computer with a shotgun.
Thanks for saving my sanity.:D
But it is fun to take the ol puter out back and blow the snot out of it :p:D had an old lap top that I got fed up and did that too :cool: It was actually quite refreshing :p:p

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, resetting the modem lasted almost exactly 24hrs., then the problem came back. Next I will be contacting my provider about upgrading the modem.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
The usual scenario is after I open the main forum page, (which often opens normally) I click on one of the subforums and the page begins to load - previous screen "blanks out", new page header & sometimes side ads appear, address bar changes to new page address, then progress bar & everything else stops dead.
If I hit reload, maybe one time in 10 it will load page, usually just repeats the attempt described above. This continues until I get P.O.ed and give up or I unplug & reset the modem. Then the site seems normal for maybe 4 to 24 hours.
At any time while this is happening, I can stop the "locked up" OT page, click on another site & everything works normally- this is the only site I or my wife ever have trouble with.
Pretty frustrating.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
The usual scenario is after I open the main forum page, (which often opens normally) I click on one of the subforums and the page begins to load - previous screen "blanks out", new page header & sometimes side ads appear, address bar changes to new page address, then progress bar & everything else stops dead.
If I hit reload, maybe one time in 10 it will load page, usually just repeats the attempt described above. This continues until I get P.O.ed and give up or I unplug & reset the modem. Then the site seems normal for maybe 4 to 24 hours.
At any time while this is happening, I can stop the "locked up" OT page, click on another site & everything works normally- this is the only site I or my wife ever have trouble with.
Pretty frustrating.
To further diagnose. Try reaching the site thru a proxy such as

http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

Also try it normally with all your add block software turned off. Same but thru anonymouse. Let us know your findings.

Honestly though I was not thinking of your modem being a problem. I was thinking that your service provider may keep blocking a range of IP Addresses that includes the one belonging to OTT. If above diagnosis test don't lead us to a solution; I'd call your Internet Service Provider and give them the IP address to here ( 192.145.236.127 ) to see if it's in a range they keep blocking due to high spam issue somewhere in that range.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Ad blocking on or off seems to make no difference. When accessing through the proxy site you suggested, the problem goes away, but the site loads noticeably slower, but does not "lock up".

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
Coach that IP points to a blank page at inmotion hosting. I would be suggesting a DNS flush but as this is the only site with the apparent problem and it is not consistent it seems unlikely. If OTT was getting blocked due to black hole listing for spam then it would be all the time.

The fact that modem reboot helps for a while seems to point to a modem problem. LF mentioned the site name appears in the address bar so we can assume DNS is resolving correctly. The one thing that just popped in my head is I wonder if the ISP is blocking this site when a certain ad pops up or a certain volume of ads pop up. I am stumped.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I am blocked from the site error 406 when a particular Dodge Ram ad is running on the top banner. I don't see the ads at all but Adblocker blocks only through wifi from my cable connection. When that ad runs and I am turfed off I can access the forum via Verizon and see it. As soon as it goes off I can go back to wifi. Didn't occur to me it was possibly the cable company. The message says to contact the site manager if you think you are being blocked in error, and I assumed it meant the forum moderators.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
sheepfarmer, I got that same site error 406 message, and to contact site manager a few days ago. I just went on to something else and when I came back ( a couple of hrs) I got right on. Don't know what the problem is/was. That happens to me every few months.

I use FF, adblocker, windows7, DSL

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I had the same problem 2 nights ago with both my I-Mac and my Windows 7 laptop. A couple hours later they worked.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well, I spoke to my ISP, and they vehemently deny blocking any IP addresses for any reason, at any time; they swear my modem is working perfectly, and insist that the problem is on the site I'm trying to access. They cannot explain why I can access through the anonymous website, or why I can access after a modem reset. (even if only for a short time)
Crap.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Well, I spoke to my ISP, and they vehemently deny blocking any IP addresses for any reason, at any time; they swear my modem is working perfectly, and insist that the problem is on the site I'm trying to access. They cannot explain why I can access through the anonymous website, or why I can access after a modem reset. (even if only for a short time)
Crap.
hmm..... what is your IP address? Maybe OTT's server is blocking you sometimes for same reasons I described earlier (your in a IP range that they seem to be getting hammered with spam from?)

Am sending link to this thread to Admin.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I reset the modem & flushed all cookies, history, & website data, then reset my browser, with no positive effect- I immediately did it a second time, and things seem to be working now, we'll see for how long.

Well, that lasted about an hour.

Last edited: