Site locking up again

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I have issues with this site as well. Too many ads is my guess. Makes my laptop work pretty hard, fan kicks on high, etc. They think I need a John Deere or an Asian mail order bride for some reason. Nope.:D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Ok, the error 406 popped up in the middle of my forum reading at 1:21 pm est and I was turfed off. Again when I went to Verizon (no Adblocker) I could access the site again and the dread Dodge ad was in the top banner as well as the side panel. The one at the top that causes trouble has the Choose your Ram here on the right hand side.

New experiment, I went back to wi fi and turned Adblocker off, and lo and behold I could access site via wifi. Then the Dodge ad went off ending experiments. And I could access the site with Adblocker on again.

So that error 406 problem seems to be an interaction between Adblocker and that particular ad.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hello folks - sorry I'm a little late to the party here, just got back from a much needed vacation. Just catching up - sounds like this is a bad interaction between certain ads and AdBlocker, is that right? Does the type of browser have any impact on whether the site is displayed properly? What browser are folks using who are seeing this behavior? With this info I can go back to the folks that vend our advertisements and tell them to fix things, I just need a bit more info to go on.

Apologize for the bad reading experience here on OTT - we obviously want things to "work". We'll get there!

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
Mr K, it seems there may be multiple issues. One, which does not get mentioned as often is there are periods when the site is simply not reachable. As we connect from numerous time zones I have assumed it was simply scheduled maintenance. Over the past week I have noticed that it seems more frequent.

From what Lil Foot described, it is an entirely different issue which is solved short term by rebooting modem and grabbing new IP.

Sheep Farmer seems to have identified one ad that is causing a problem. I am guessing there is no single issue but I am guessing. To add to confusion other than the times site is not reachable I have no problems. I am using iOS and Safari or Tapatalk with Crystal ad blocker and occasionally IOS with Chrome. I never see ANY ads.

The only thing different (perhaps) is I am a lifetime paid member and perhaps my member settings are giving me a different experience.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes there are multiple ways the site can become inaccesssible on my system. I use an Android tablet with its own "Browser" and Adblocker. I don't think I ever saw the error 406 before I installed adblocker.

Besides the error406 message, there is another error message and the site is completely inaccessible by any means. I'll copy down the text the next time I see it.

And there is sometimes the standard internet message that says this site is inaccessible check your address and your internet connection etc.

I will turn on the Dell Latitude, Windows 7 the next time I see these to see if the error messages are the same for that system.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
OK, did you guys change something? I haven't been using the computer for a few days, (out of town & using tablet instead) now all of a sudden the site performance is flawless. Nothing was changed on my end, so I'm hoping you did something on your end, and this isn't just a fluke.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
OK, did you guys change something? I haven't been using the computer for a few days, (out of town & using tablet instead) now all of a sudden the site performance is flawless. Nothing was changed on my end, so I'm hoping you did something on your end, and this isn't just a fluke.
Same here- not one glitch since I signed off in frustration. Whew- I love OTT, and I didn't want to miss anything, but there for a while, it was a 98% chance that I couldn't get past the ads. Not now- flawless.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Kudo's to Mr. K (the Admin.) appear to be in order.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Never mind, it's doing it again. :mad: Now I sometimes get a message saying "Page failed to load":mad:

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Experienced problems 11-1-15,Sun. afternoon, I'm assuming this was again problems within the site:confused:

Ron

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mr K the error message this afternoon from 1 pm or so until? was "Internal Server Error 500, contact webmaster at orangetractors.com. etc

I got it on both the Android tablet and the Dell Latitude running Windows 7.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Was getting these messages this morning. 5:30am cst to 6:50 am cst. Not sure when the site came back up.

Was also getting an error 500 code using google Chrome this morning on my tablet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yup the ol' error 500 code - been seeing that a wee bit too much here lately.......this morning was one - 7ish EST

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Mr K regarding the error 406 and the ads, especially the Ram ad, I can understand your vendor would not be sympathetic to problems with Adblock and their ads. It is annoying in the sense that I use an adblocking program because when tney get fancy with their ads the pages take forever to load. I don't mind if they are there and might even glance at them if tney didn't do that. Maybe a compromise might be to ask the vendor to only use "small" ads. Alternatively what would it cost to have them remove the bloated ones that cause us to be blocked from the site? Thanks!

zapper

Equipment
B2650 Cab model, BX2370, pallet forks and dual remotes, box blade, rear blade,
Nov 9, 2014
DANVILLE
I am unable to navigate anywhere on the forum with out the syngenta ad popping up at top of screen and can not see anything else. Only way I found is repeatedly retrying to open the desired web page til the ad quits appearing. This has been happening to me for several weeks now. Only happens on orange tractor. How can I fix this ?

Rusty46

Equipment
B7500 HSD-R, LA 302, RCK60-24B, Woods RB-72, Millcreek 25, Harrow, Payne PF800,
I am unable to navigate anywhere on the forum with out the syngenta ad popping up at top of screen and can not see anything else. Only way I found is repeatedly retrying to open the desired web page til the ad quits appearing. This has been happening to me for several weeks now. Only happens on orange tractor. How can I fix this ?
I am experiencing same problem. I have been clicking on the "back" arrow at the top left of my screen, whenever the Syngenta ad appears. That takes me to the page I wanted. Hope it works for you, too!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have continued to have the problem of the site locking up as it tries to load pages, and judging by what others have said, decided it might be related to the ads on this site.
I upgraded my membership to "Lifetime", something I had been meaning to do anyway. (less ads)
Since the upgrade (7-10 days ago?) performance has been flawless!
At least until yesterday at about 5pm, (pacific time) when the problem returned with a vengeance. (high traffic time on the site?) Performance seems great again this morning, at 5:45am. The upgrade certainly helped, but apparently is not the perfect solution I thought it was.:(:mad:

By the way, do you folks need my address to mail my stickers? I don't remember if registering for the site required a home address or not...