Road traveling ,general FEL work

Indiapaleale

Equipment
2013 L3800 with 150 hours 524 FEL aftermarket Simms Cab kubota 64" snowblower
Nov 27, 2017
Canada Cape Breton
Hi I have an L3800 HST Iam new to the tractor world I do a few driveways close to my home (snow removal) finally starting to get the hang of that then I have to travel on the road to my father in law about 3 km away I did read in this forum about using two wheel drive on ashphalt my question is @ what rpm should I be driving at 1500 seems so slow and it sounds to me like its screaming @ 2500 i just don't want to damage anything what's a good RPM to use for traveling and general FEL work Thanks, Mike

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Yes you should run in 2wd on hard surfaces. I've always run wide open down the road. It's a tractor. It's built to run wide open. I haven't run an HST on a loader. On a gear tractor, I'd usually throttle back to push and throttle up to lift. With HST you could probably just leave the rpm's up.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Make sure your in high range for road travel and low or med range for FEL work.
High RPM's of the engine will (ADDED EDIT: NOT) harm the HST.

YES this post has been edited 2 weeks later for a missed word!
Hopefully adventure bob doesn't have a coronary over me missing a word and misinforming you all!

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
As far as on the road always run in 2wd.

RPM's, I never run over the rated pto speed. In my opinion that's where the tractor is made to work and is revved high enough for travel.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"High RPM's of the engine will harm the HST. "
I am now intrigued to the source of this belief.
I think what NIW is meaning (hope I am right) , is that if running on the road in lets say low, and heading down a steep hill, the tractor could over rev - this could happen in M or H range too.

The engine is rated at "X" rpm's - there is a stop on the injector pump to keep from over-revving - but if the engine is forced to move faster (heading down hill)......then problems will occur!;)

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
As far as on the road always run in 2wd.

RPM's, I never run over the rated pto speed. In my opinion that's where the tractor is made to work and is revved high enough for travel.

Ya what he said. Thats what I do also.

helomech

Apr 15, 2011
East Texas
I have driven my Mx-5100 45 minutes to the Kubota place on the hwy. Ran it wide open in 2wd. It is much slower than my old massey

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I think what NIW is meaning (hope I am right) , is that if running on the road in lets say low, and heading down a steep hill, the tractor could over rev - this could happen in M or H range too.

The engine is rated at "X" rpm's - there is a stop on the injector pump to keep from over-revving - but if the engine is forced to move faster (heading down hill)......then problems will occur!;)
That is an interesting point. On my tractor WOT is around 2600 rpm and PTO speed is something like 2426. If in autothrottle, the hst goes all the way up to 2600 as a matter of course. I wonder about putting the pedal to the metal? I wonder if the computer dials it back if the driver doesnt have enough sense to slow down?

grandwazoo

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5200 TLB, Kodiak box blade, wicked root grapple, EA pallet forks
Dec 12, 2017
Finger Lakes
Seems to me anything over 1500 doesn't gain you much speed. I just drove mine a bit over a mile down the road to the welder.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I figure it like this. The tractor is made to do work at the rated pto speed, engine rpms. The HST is made to operate from 0-full at any rpm. If you don't rev past the rated rpm you should cause no harm to the HST.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have driven my Mx-5100 45 minutes to the Kubota place on the hwy. Ran it wide open in 2wd. It is much slower than my old massey
It just feels slower because it is steering in a straight line and you are not afraid to use the brakes in case one grabs and pulls you into oncoming traffic or the ditch. :)

When I drove my Nuffield on the road for about 1:30 I always arrived very sweaty and jumpy.

Dave

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
Still no explanation as to the source of the statement. The HST is simply an engine driven variable piston hydro pump. The pedal simply varies the squash plate and thus pump output. If the pump exceeds maximum volume output it bypasses excess hydro fluid. There's no clutches, no parts that move in relation to engine speed, no parts that wear in relation to engine speed. Still intrigued as to the source of the concern.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
During the past 30 yrs of custom baling/farming my 3 tractors have been driven on highway at wide open throttle for a total of many miles with no apparent harm. My JD 4255 that I've owned since Feb '93 has over 11400 hrs on original pistons/liners. Tractor engines have governors to help prevent over-speeding. My Kubota M7040 also has been driven on blacktop several 100 miles at WOT.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
This thread is why I get so frustrated with forums... someone makes a vague and seemingly informed statement but when people have legitimate questions as to where the statement originates or the rationale... crickets.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
If BS is not called for accounting it gets propagated... As a community of tractor owner/operators looking to improve our knowledge we should question things. We should question everything openly and have logical debate. That's how the knowledge base grows. If we allow absurd things to be thrown out there, they get picked up and propagated. Next thing you know someone will tell us that a tractor should never be operated faster than a a man can run, cause they wont be able to breathe at those speeds.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If BS is not called for accounting it gets propagated... As a community of tractor owner/operators looking to improve our knowledge we should question things. We should question everything openly and have logical debate. That's how the knowledge base grows. If we allow absurd things to be thrown out there, they get picked up and propagated. Next thing you know someone will tell us that a tractor should never be operated faster than a a man can run, cause they wont be able to breathe at those speeds.
This thread is why I get so frustrated with forums... someone makes a vague and seemingly informed statement but when people have legitimate questions as to where the statement originates or the rationale... crickets.
THANK YOU very much for calling me out for such a simple issue! :rolleyes:

The word Not was missed in my typing, OOPS!!!!

It's called an accidental omission!

Funny how I didn't get a single PM over something so trivial as miss wording, but someone with 80 Posts might not make that mistake, but with 12555 Posts (as of this post) it's easy to do once in a while! :p

Now to make such a big deal out of a simple typo, that's a little absurd. :mad:

SO JUST TO CLARIFY!!!
YES you can run the motor at Full RPM's on your tractor without any ill effects to the HST!

Note: If there is any typo's on this post... Sorry, I'm only human...or least I was on the last visit to the doc!

Last edited: