Picked up this bad boy today

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, just do it! Make it look so good she can't tell any difference. Then if you don't like how it performs, just switch it back. It was an experiment.

Remember, often times forgiveness is easier to get then permission.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I already got caught :rolleyes: she came home as I was was holding the diesel up to the other motor comparing size :p She didn't like the way the kohler almost dies sometimes when the pump switches stages. Usually happens if the wedge is almost tight to the chunk of wood when you start to split it. So it's barely moving the cylinder and having to immediately jump to the other stage.

The Koehler is a 6hp. The diesel is a 4.5hp, but has more torque. If it checks out and does decent, I'll have to figure out a spot for a battery box and the key switch. The diesel has electric and pull start. The pull start is more technical to use then the gas. And is hell on your fingers even with starting your pull on the compression stroke with the compression release kicked in. And if you forget to spin it to the compression stroke before trying to start, well.... let's say that it hurts like hell :eek: And guaranteed, you'll only make that mistake once :eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Check the rpm's of both motors, the diesel might spin too slow to run the pump properly and effectively. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Check the rpm's of both motors, the diesel might spin too slow to run the pump properly and effectively. ;)
That's a good point :D I guess I need to call dirty hand and find out what the hydraulic pump is rated for. Went through the paper work and couldn't find the info. I had already thought of it for the diesel since it came out of a specialized piece of equipment and are usually governed back and set at a certain max rpm like a generator is. The diesel's hp is rated at 3600 rpm. The gas engine is rated at 3800, but seems to have the throttle backed off slightly.

The two stage pump is rated for 3600 rpm, so it may just be a matter of turning up the throttle on the diesel :)

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Talked to lamborde. They get a factory motor, that comes preset at 3600 rpm at full throttle. So it should be fine with the hydraulic pump. So I'll stop and get a battery for the motor after work. Found the keys for the key switch :D So after the engine swap, I'll drag it out back, hook the battery to it temporarily on the ground and give it a try on some big notty chunks that I saved for the test :D If it works out, I'll get a battery box, and figure out a mount for the key switch :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea 200 RPM is not enough to throw the game, I was thinking it spun at more of a range like the Kubota diesels and they about an average of 2500RPM. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yea 200 RPM is not enough to throw the game, I was thinking it spun at more of a range like the Kubota diesels and they about an average of 2500RPM. ;)
Full throttle will match the hydraulic pump, so it should be a good fit. If you look back at the serial tag off it, it show 3.3 kw (4.5hp)at 3600 rpm. Dealer lists the motor at 4.7 hp :D

I had the same concerns and was wondering if I was gonna have to pull the throttle plate off the side and hook a throttle cable to it to be able to reach the 3600 rpms. All my bigger stuff has the rpms turned down to 1800 under load, so I was figuring this one was set up the same. It was nice to here that the dealer left it at 3600 rpm :D Makes sense since it's air cooled, that they want to keep it spinning faster :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ok, got the Koehler pulled. Took about 5 minute. Pulled the coupler and swapped to the yanmar.

Now for the two "doh" moments :rolleyes: the first, which isn't a big deal. I need 4 m8 bolts to bolt the pump mount up. The ones on the Koehler are 5/16 bolts.

The more major issue is the regulator for charging system. It sticks out an inch too far :mad:

So it looks like I have two choices to get it to fit.

1: I disconnect the regulator, and wiring for the starter, and use as a pull start only.
I'm actually leaning towards this option, then I'm not out for a battery and battery box.

2: weld a plate to the bottom of the bracket for the engine and drill some new holes :rolleyes:

Course there's always option three, which is hooking the Koehler back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
D2cat, you da man!!!!! :D had me a head slapper moment when I saw your reply :eek:

The answer is yes

Just gotta drill two holes in the side of the engine mount and bolt it up :D

I'll have to bring home a thin piece of card board from work and make up a pattern for the mounting holes on the yanmar. Will have to drill two new holes, since the motor is slightly wider then the gas models. :rolleyes:

Here's what it will look like with the Yanmar installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Looks good.

Now can you find a picture of a can smasher attachment for a log splitter? I need a reason to fire my splitter up more often.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, diesel powered mini jeep for the grandkids? :D
I was wondering when this post would arrive :p:p I just have four holes to drill and the motor will be installed in the wood splitter. Gotta get a new key switch. :rolleyes: Someone stripped out the existing one. They're about $9 at O'Reilly's. And a battery box which will need mounting as well.

I'll still have the 6.5 hp koehler. In laws got a 12 hp gas at there place they offered me as well. Will probably come up with some sort of buggy for the kids between the two gas motors :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sawmill, dammit :p:p you started something here!!!! Buddy just called me. His kids which the youngest is 14 lost interst in there dune buggy go kart. two seater and an adult can stuff themselves in it. Offered it too me for next to nothing :rolleyes: He's throwing it on a trailer and dropping it off after ball practice. So.....I'm gonna have to do some more looking and thinking on this stuff :rolleyes: Will take me five minutes to put the koehler back in the wood splitter :rolleyes: I'm gonna end up getting in trouble :p:p

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Sawmill, dammit :p:p you started something here!!!!
I'm a little slow on the up-take, and I got excited - SAWMILL!! :p:p

I don't mean our friend sawmill, but a little sumpin' to slice up them nice butt logs!! No better friend for a splitter!!:p:p

Engine, clutch, pulleys, loop of blade, carriage.......hmmmm....:)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm a little slow on the up-take, and I got excited - SAWMILL!! :p:p

I don't mean our friend sawmill, but a little sumpin' to slice up them nice butt logs!! No better friend for a splitter!!:p:p

Engine, clutch, pulleys, loop of blade, carriage.......hmmmm....:)
That would be a little beyond my ability ;) And way beyond my ambition :p:p

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Sawmill, dammit :p:p you started something here!!!! Buddy just called me. His kids which the youngest is 14 lost interst in there dune buggy go kart. two seater and an adult can stuff themselves in it. Offered it too me for next to nothing :rolleyes: He's throwing it on a trailer and dropping it off after ball practice. So.....I'm gonna have to do some more looking and thinking on this stuff :rolleyes: Will take me five minutes to put the koehler back in the wood splitter :rolleyes: I'm gonna end up getting in trouble :p:p
Daren....just think how happy the grandkids will be. Just don't let them see it 'till you get it all done. They might even let you ride it. :D:D