Open faced tractor shed project

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I had posted a few pictures as I cleared a spot for a small tractor shed in the "what did you do on your Kubota" thread a while back and a forum member suggested I do a project thread on the subject. Initially I responded that I would not do it as I am not the one doing the actual building as its beyond my physical capabilities and over all carpentry knowledge.
DSC00339.JPG

After rethinking and deciding that others might glean some useful knowledge about the process here goes!

I started the process by laying out rough corner flags for the area I needed to clear and level.

The next step was to use my L2501 with grapple and rip out the Scots pines, roots and all so as to not be a issue when the post holes were augered.
IMG_6695.JPG

I laid out level strings around the back and sides with a conventional line level to help guide me as I brought the surface to finish grade that the builder was comfortable working with.
DSC0E0402.JPG
DSC00417.JPG

This last Saturday involved me drawing up the site plan and building elevation drawing and filling out the paper work for the building permit from my county. This morning I went down to the courthouse and paid for the permit. Touched bases with the builder and he has ordered the trusses before they take another price increase. I certainly picked the worse time to put up a building. The shed is 24 foot deep , 27 wide with open face facing northeast. I have the option at a later time to hang doors and enclose the front face but that is to be determined.

This last screen shot is a 3d computer model including my color choices but with the exception that I am going with a asymmetrical gable roof. The main reason is I want to be able to collect rain water and it simplifies my collection system. I had thought about a single flat pitched roof but my builder mentioned there is only about a 100 dollars price difference between the two.

There will probably not be a update until the day the builder gets the batter boards and strings and the post hole locations marked.

Image 4-26-21 at 11.40 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That sure looks like some nice base material to work with for prepping your site! Will there be any need to haul in fill to build up the actual building's footprint any higher? Or just some drainage sloped around the outside? With the open front you might be able to sit underneath and watch the Oshkosh airshow from there? :LOL:

Reactions: 1 user

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Just wondering what you are going to do for a floor? If you go with concrete pour an apron in the front Also if the doors are in your future frame for them now as it will be cheaper to do now. Might include a man door framed on the side also.

Best of luck as you build. You inspire me to keep at it.

Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
That sure looks like some nice base material to work with for prepping your site! Will there be any need to haul in fill to build up the actual building's footprint any higher? Or just some drainage sloped around the outside? With the open front you might be able to sit underneath and watch the Oshkosh airshow from there? :LOL:
No need to bring in additional fill. I will be removing more pines from around the sides and "sloping" for drainage as you mentioned, good eye! I do plan on bringing in 3 to 4 inches of crushed limestone at a later date. I am a full time user of a wheelchair and find about 1/2 inch with fines works pretty well. I am open to suggestions on something that will lay tight . I do not care about the limestone dust as far as tracking it into my house etc. Pea gravel does not work as it never really forms a tight base.

LOL, its just a bit far for me to see real action at the EAA. Our local airport does handle some of the traffic for folks that do not want to fly into Oshkosh. Many many years ago I lived along Hwy 41 about 30 miles south of Oshkosh, saw many many planes flying overhead as I guess they follow the Hwy? I sure hope that the show goes on this summer as it was canceled last.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Just wondering what you are going to do for a floor? If you go with concrete pour an apron in the front Also if the doors are in your future frame for them now as it will be cheaper to do now. Might include a man door framed on the side also.

Best of luck as you build. You inspire me to keep at it.
Thank you for the kind comment!

I had thought about the door framing, my builder mentioned that framing for doors would not be a issue at a later date. As I am one that likes to pay up front and not carry debt I wanted to keep things in check for now. Lumber prices are a real shocker right now.

As mentioned in a previous post I will be bringing in some sort of gravel. Probably rent a plate compactor , I know my boys get bored and can use the exercise! lol,

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
No need to bring in additional fill. I will be removing more pines from around the sides and "sloping" for drainage as you mentioned, good eye! I do plan on bringing in 3 to 4 inches of crushed limestone at a later date. I am a full time user of a wheelchair and find about 1/2 inch with fines works pretty well. I am open to suggestions on something that will lay tight . I do not care about the limestone dust as far as tracking it into my house etc. Pea gravel does not work as it never really forms a tight base.

LOL, its just a bit far for me to see real action at the EAA. Our local airport does handle some of the traffic for folks that do not want to fly into Oshkosh. Many many years ago I lived along Hwy 41 about 30 miles south of Oshkosh, saw many many planes flying overhead as I guess they follow the Hwy? I sure hope that the show goes on this summer as it was canceled last.
Ken, that makes perfect sense! I also remember your posts on your tractor "seat lift". Your ingenuity and work arounds to get things done is inspirational to say the least! We have driven through Waupaca many times to take in the EAA airshow at Oshkosh. Was hoping to go last year. Am hoping to go this year if it does take place.

Looking forward to seeing your building plans take shape! That's a beautiful area you live in. I have relatives up in the Cumberland area and try to get out there at least a few times a year. Cheers!
Best regards,
David

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Whats the going price per square foot for a complete build on a shed like yours with ground leveling included ?
$13.95 a square foot . What this does NOT include was a building permit ,$160. Gravel for the floor. My labor , fuel and wear and tear on my tractor and equipment for the site prep. However, being a part of the construction process, spending time with my kids and friends and tractor seat time, PRICELESS ! 😀

Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ken, my experience with screenings is it's the least expensive thing in the quarry and when you put it down and get it damp and pack it, it is as hard as concrete. As you mentioned it tracks, but only until it gets wet a few times, driven over and sets up.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
$13.95 a square foot . What this does NOT include was a building permit ,$160. Gravel for the floor.
As always do as you feel is best. Concrete isn't cheap but I'd suggest giving it a good deal of thought, before using gravel for your floor. Limestone cost X, concrete cost Y, price the spread and calculate the benefits. You may be penny wise and dollar foolish. Once complete don't ever say "I wish I woulda"

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Received a call early this morning from the builder. He mentioned he was going to do a quick site survey and rough in some batter boards and string.
I met him, (my land is about a half hour drive from my house) , ironed out a few details etc.
I have no experience laying out buildings but have seen batter boards set up. I was a bit surprised to see that he used only one long board and two stakes running the board at roughly 45 degrees. I am familiar with 3 stakes, two shorter boards forming a 90 degree corner method. Comments welcome.

After the builder left I was able to get 2 hours of L2501 seat time in working on trails and consolidating brush piles. The trails are 100% passable in a vehicle but my goal is to have the trails passable in my manual wheelchair without expending a ton of energy. That means rocks, roots and deep divots need to be minimized. Of course elevation changes will remain.

DSC00450.JPG
DSC00451.JPG

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Received a call early this morning from the builder. He mentioned he was going to do a quick site survey and rough in some batter boards and string.
I met him, (my land is about a half hour drive from my house) , ironed out a few details etc.
I have no experience laying out buildings but have seen batter boards set up. I was a bit surprised to see that he used only one long board and two stakes running the board at roughly 45 degrees. I am familiar with 3 stakes, two shorter boards forming a 90 degree corner method. Comments welcome.

After the builder left I was able to get 2 hours of L2501 seat time in working on trails and consolidating brush piles. The trails are 100% passable in a vehicle but my goal is to have the trails passable in my manual wheelchair without expending a ton of energy. That means rocks, roots and deep divots need to be minimized. Of course elevation changes will remain.

View attachment 58970 View attachment 58971
I like his method. It makes stringing the line much quicker and is an indication he has been around the block before.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
It is premature for me to give it tons of thought but thought I would ask.
I will be putting down a crushed limestone floor over loamy sand base. 3 to 4 inches of 1/2 minus with fines.

Any thoughts as to using a vapor barrier between the sand and the gravel? Keeping in mind for the foreseeable future this shed has a open side.

Side note;
The first batch of materials arrived at the site yesterday with the builder telling me there is a slim chance the holes will be augered tomorrow.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Actually the gravel is a moisture barrier of sorts especially since it is "open side" giving plenty of ventilation. Turn the rocks over and they will be wet on the underside.

If you ever decide to have a concrete floor, add a moisture barrier before pouring.

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Actually the gravel is a vapor barrier of sorts especially since it is "open side" giving plenty of ventilation. Turn the rocks over and they will be wet on the underside.

If you ever decide to have a concrete floor, add a vapor barrier before pouring.
Thanks!

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Awesome! Want to come build me one? Super jealous. I need to get my butt in gear and build something similar on my property.