Open faced tractor shed project

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Ken, that looks just super! Will you hang a rain gutter across the front opening and down one side?

Reactions: 1 user

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken, that looks just super! Will you hang a rain gutter across the front opening and down one side?
I will be having a gutter put on the back side for sure as I plan on collecting rain water into a IBC tote. I have one with a 8 x 8 metal roof on a different part of the property that I use to collect water and find it to be useful. When I calculated out the surface area of the back half of the roof I think a inch of rain will translate to about 340 gallons of water.

I have not decided on the front side yet. A added on overhang might be in the future plans in a year or so. For now I will put up with rain and snow cascading off the front side! :).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Nice build Ken. I'm sure you're excited to see it almost done.

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Nice build Ken. I'm surveying you're excited to see it almost done.
Thanks!
Yes , I am excited to get both tractors under roof and out of the sun and rain. It will also be nice to consolidate some implements and get them under roof also.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Very nice indeed! I like the colors you chose too.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Spent the morning and early afternoon with my son touching up the grade in the tractor shed. Its now ready for the limestone. Not sure exactly when that will be as I need to get it delivered, then rent a plate compactor and a extra hand. Pulled the implements and tractors in to try out the fit. All good I think. There is plenty of room for me get on all sides of the tractors with my wheelchair and plenty of depth. Overall real pleased with the building at this point.

DSC00788.JPG
DSC00792.JPG
DSC00799.JPG
DSC00802.JPG

Reactions: 5 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I had my 6 yards of 3/8 with fines limestone delivered this morning. I was a bit worried about the driver making it up to the shed as we had 2 inches of rain since yesterday afternoon. Hopefully I will get it spread and leveled this weekend.

I wanted to say a few words about the builder I hired to put this shed up.
He took NO money up front, no written contract. I was really on the fence about doing business this way. The deal was struck with a simple handshake. He worked quickly with good workmanship, used good materials.
Delivered EXACTLY the building that was discussed with NO surprises. Even came in $40 dollars less than his initial quote.

IMG_7010.JPG
IMG_7012.JPG
IMG_7015.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
Ken you have a nice building there. Glad to hear you had a contractor that did what he said he would do on a hand shake deal. I had a roofer for my house last year that was like that. He give me a estimate I looked it over and said I will get my check book out of the house and give you a down payment. He said no we will settle up when we are finished and your happy with the job. It all went well and I have sold several jobs for him over the last year.

Reactions: 3 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
A good friend of mine had access to a plate compactor which he brought up yesterday afternoon. After doing a bit of leveling work with the bucket and hand rake he compacted the limestone. Wow, what a difference for me. Plenty solid now that my tires on my chair do not dig in. Like rolling on a dance floor! lol.

My next step is getting one of the seamless gutter installers in the area to call me back! I think they are ramped up again doing installations of new housing and doing gutters for the storage building business. My town has a population of under 6K and it amazes me how many storage business there are.
I am wanting to divert water from the roof gutter into a 4 inch flexible buried drain pipe. Any recommendations as to the downspout diverter, such as brand and style that would make the transition to the 4 inch?

DSC01067.JPG
DSC01086.JPG
DSC01094.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
A good friend of mine had access to a plate compactor which he brought up yesterday afternoon. After doing a bit of leveling work with the bucket and hand rake he compacted the limestone. Wow, what a difference for me. Plenty solid now that my tires on my chair do not dig in. Like rolling on a dance floor! lol.

My next step is getting one of the seamless gutter installers in the area to call me back! I think they are ramped up again doing installations of new housing and doing gutters for the storage building business. My town has a population of under 6K and it amazes me how many storage business there are.
I am wanting to divert water from the roof gutter into a 4 inch flexible buried drain pipe. Any recommendations as to the downspout diverter, such as brand and style that would make the transition to the 4 inch?

View attachment 63182 View attachment 63183 View attachment 63184
That turned out great!! And I'd drive over for a barn dance and party!! :D

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@ken erickson, that is one nice shed, so nice in fact that "shed" hardly seems appropriate. It looks so much bigger than I thought it would be and I'd love something like that. Congratulations on getting this done.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
@ken erickson, that is one nice shed, so nice in fact that "shed" hardly seems appropriate. It looks so much bigger than I thought it would be and I'd love something like that. Congratulations on getting this done.
Thank you so much for the kind words! This turned out to be one of my more enjoyable contracted projects. I feel very fortunate to have been put in contact with the builder I chose for the job.

I have received a quote and scheduled the gutter guy. That should happen in a week and half or so. Just going with a back gutter for now. I MAY decide to add an additional open lean- to type roof extension in a year or two.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I MAY decide to add an additional open lean- to type roof extension in a year or two.
I think that's a great idea and definitely something that will improve the functionality of the barn. It'll look good too.