looking for well pump advice. Updated!!!!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Runs With Scissors

Either you change your avatar to something more summer friendly or I'll have to boot you!

I shiver every time I see it!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Well done, my parents oldest well, has the "drop tubing" and it's been there for 30 years, they are in 20' sections and I only know this becuase they had the pump pulled when lightning hit the well casing and that was 15-20 years ago they put the same pipe back. That was a actual well driller so if they are using it and putting it back it must be good
The "drop tubing" may be "good", but no matter how you slice it, putting a pump in a 300' well without a safety rope is a BAD IDEA!

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
The "drop tubing" may be "good", but no matter how you slice it, putting a pump in a 300' well without a safety rope is a BAD IDEA!
Well that well is over 600' not sure if it has a "safety rope" or not (not really my problem) but in its 30 years it hasn't been an issue, I understand the whole "it's not an issue until it is" concept however my parents are pushing their 70's and they have a second well if something goes south in the first one they won't be without h20 the one I know has the drop tube is actually the "old well" and gets used for topping off the pool and when company uses too much h20 and depletes the newer well for a few days. Neither of them have a great recovery rate and both are what we would consider deeper then normal if the pump ever gets pulled again I'll be sure to suggest a safety rope if its not already in place but I like RWS's approach of not poking the bear in the meantime. The worse that happens is that old pump breaks off and has a permanent resting place in a 600' deep not super efficient well. As for the well at my place it's under 100' (so I'm told) and has no shortage if h20 in its 65 years of existence I only have a 30/50 p-switch but I can deal with the low pressure as opposed to putting in a bigger pump and or p-switch and also probably higher gauge wire only to find out I caused more issues then good.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Proper PVC drop tube is Schedule 80 or 120, tough stuff!
And it bows / bends without breaking!

Reactions: 1 users

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Proper PVC drop tube is Schedule 80 or 120, tough stuff!
And it bows / bends without breaking!
I can attest to the bending, I remember watching the pump rig pull the pump and the then 530 something' (the well has since been pounded to over 600' 'of pipe 20' at a time and not only being amazed at how long it took but also how flexible yet stable the stuff was

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
I would not put a rope on the pump.
I see lots of installations without a rope.
If the rope breaks and end up down the well it acts as a Chinese finger grabber.
The PVC drop pipe is very strong.
Even with 250 psi poly pipe and long barb fittings you can safely hang a pump at 500 feet.

Last edited:

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Just had my well pump replaced about a month ago. Have no idea how deep the well is, but the pump was 80 feet down on galvanized piping. The piping was in great shape and the pump was 47 years old. The galvanized piping was replaced with the drop tubing/PVC. The well guy pulling the old pump had a pretty cool motor driven contraption to pull the old piping/pump. One guy-----took maybe 3 hours to do the whole job including putting in a new pressure tank. The new pump doesn't use a control box and is wired directly to the pressure switch except for the main power.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My well is about 400 feet and I have a black poly pipe in the drop to the pump, and a plastic-coated stainless steel (made in the USA) is holding the pump so there is no strain on the black poly pipe. Been in there for 40 years, and I only had to pull it once about 38 years ago when the pump was hit by lightning. Today I am too old to do it again so I would leave it for the professionals. I went the extra mile and put a steel holding ring into the side of the casing, and also drilled a hole for a water-tight electrical connection box on the side of the casing. When the health department came to inspect the well and the installation, they said that it was the neatest installation that they have ever seen. Most well drillers back then did some very crude installations that barely passed inspection.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Runs With Scissors

Either you change your avatar to something more summer friendly or I'll have to boot you!

I shiver every time I see it!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Hahahahah....It's all about the proper gear man.

Since we got that Striker Ice gear, sweating has become a problem.

Me and the wife fished a "no shanty allowed" tournament for 6 hours in 40+ mph wind and wind chills at -35. We never even got a little chilly. (y) 🍺

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I would not put a rope on the pump.
I see lots of installations without a rope.
If the rope breaks and end up down the well it acts as a Chinese finger grabber.
The PVC drop pipe is very strong.
Even with 250 psi poly pipe and long barb fittings you can safely hang a pump at 500 feet.

Hmmmmm.........That is a very, very, interesting point/theory.

I could totally envision a scenario like that.

Definitely something to think about if I ever have to replace the pump.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am not sure that is a claim I would want to make.

Hahahah...... Fried, I actually am much happier in the cold vs. heat. I could never move to Florida or any place like that.

Give me a nice, sunny, 20-30 degree day and I'm outside having a blast.

Give me a sunny 85 degree day and I sweat like pig and am miserable.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
PVC must be a regional thing. Around here, home wells are put in with pumps on heavy duty black poly with heavy duty wire tape to it. Torque arrestors every so often. To pull the pump, grab the poly and start pulling and walk across the yard laying it out on the ground. Well companies and others that do it for a living have a small device that sits on top of the well casing with 3 wheels in a triangle shape. The poly is placed in between the wheels and the motor driving one of the wheels pulls the pump up. Used in reverse to put it down.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
PVC must be a regional thing. Around here, home wells are put in with pumps on heavy duty black poly with heavy duty wire tape to it. Torque arrestors every so often. To pull the pump, grab the poly and start pulling and walk across the yard laying it out on the ground. Well companies and others that do it for a living have a small device that sits on top of the well casing with 3 wheels in a triangle shape. The poly is placed in between the wheels and the motor driving one of the wheels pulls the pump up. Used in reverse to put it down.
Same thing around here. What does trouble me is when they run the torque arrestors right thru the wheels.... crunch... crunch, somehow they get away with it.

I have acid water that eats anything brass or copper so a poly rope needs to be attached at multiple point at the pump end as that attachment point may no longer be there after years. Yes, I am converting to stainless steel whenever possible.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hahahah...... Fried, I actually am much happier in the cold vs. heat. I could never move to Florida or any place like that.

Give me a nice, sunny, 20-30 degree day and I'm outside having a blast.

Give me a sunny 85 degree day and I sweat like pig and am miserable.
A "20-30 degree day" is just fine.
A 0- 20-30 degree day is not!
I lived in Minnesota for 20+ years.
BTDT !