Kubota B3350 Sold with Wrong Implement

gelliott

Jun 10, 2016
Port Angeles, WA
Purchased a B3350 Tractor from Pacific Tractor in Oregon. That was my first mistake. The second mistake was Pacific Tractor sold me a RCF2060 Rotary Cutter to go with that tractor. 12 months later I am starting to have problems with my RCF2060 Cutter. Excessive vibration, shear bolts breaking while engaging the PTO, etc. Reached out to the dealer and Spoke with Manager Don Nichols and was told the following......."I have sold 10 of these exact tractors with that same exact RCF2060 Rotary Cutter and I haven't had any customer complaints". To make matters worse, I opened my Kubota manual for the tractor and confirmed that the RCF2060 is not an implement designed to go on the B3350 Tractor. The B3350 tractor can only take up to a 48" Rotary Cutter in order to be covered under manufacturer warranty, PER KUBOTA CORP. Therefore when I went to my local Kubota Dealership in WA to get my tractor serviced with that RCF2060 Rotary Cutter I was told that my tractor was no longer under warranty because an incorrect implement was put on the back of the tractor by Pacific Tractor. I have been advised by Pacific Tractor to swap my 60" Cutter for the 48" Cutter so my Tractor would be covered under warranty. WHAT? I never wanted a 48" Cutter, I always wanted a 60" Cutter. They sold me the wrong tractor with the correct implement I wanted. So instead of Pacific Tractor fixing there major mistake I have decided to take them on through the legal system. Wish me luck!!!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So it only took you a year to figure out,, you only had a 4 foot mower not a 5 foot mower? If you have the order form and it says 60 inch cutter you got them by the nuts,, sort of ,,,

toxcrusadr

Equipment
L4600
Apr 18, 2016
Columbia MO
I don't have any experience fighting dealers and corporate on warranty issues, but it always seems to me the next step after talking with dealers is to elevate it to someone above the dealer level - like a regional Kubota manager. If you haven't done that it might be good to touch base at that level before proceeding to 'legal' action against the dealer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yep, what Toxcrusadr said. Always negotiate before you litigate. It's a whole lot cheaper and less stressful.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Negotiate as best as you can, sounds like the best strategy. Needless to say Kubota is probably a bit sensitive about the B3350's, so not to keen on taking them back unless necessary. Unfortunately you bear some responsibility for not reading the owner's manual and taking it back immediately to exchange for a suitable sized tractor, so not sure how you'd make out against corporate lawyers. It is a shame that your dealer screwed up, but it is not clear how Kubota will feel about it. Hopefully you will end up with the right sized tractor for your needs without too much fuss..

gelliott

Jun 10, 2016
Port Angeles, WA
I already tried the regional Kubota manager, not only in Oregon where the tractor was purchased but in WA as well. Neither of them wanted to fix the situation and said the issue is with the dealer not Kubota Corp. I advised them that the warranty is provided by Kubota Corp so it is there issue. Sheepfarmer you are correct. I guarantee both Kubota and the dealership want NO part of this B3350 coming back into there possession. The regen issues I have had are endless, and now this...

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I'm a little confused, is it the rotary cutter that is having a problem, or the tractor? If I read your post correctly, it is the rotary cutter and how does using a tractor too small cause damage to it? Didn't the rotary cutter come with its own warranty?

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
What page in the manual did you read that? I can pull one at work.

According to Land Pride that unit is designed for 20-65 HP. Also the 48" cutter won't cover your tracks!

Ok what is causing the vibration on the cutter? Bent blades, stump jumper have you inspected the underside of the unit?

The shear bolt problem could cured by by possible engaging the deck at a lower RPM. Another way to cure the shear bolt issue is going to a slip clutch.

Pat

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
gelliott,
Things are not adding up to your rant/complaint/legal roar.
I don't know what your problem really is, is it the mower or your tractor?
Did you try and get warranty work done and you were denied?
And if so, what work was it?

#1 I have never heard of a tractor warranty being void because of a three point implement being used or vise versa! That is a 60 in brush mower that is a Cat 1 hookup and is in the right PTO speed rating for the tractor and is also within it's HP range on both the tractor and the Mower.

#2 The B3350 can be equipped with both a 60" MMM and a 72" MMM so I don't think a 60" three point brush cutter mower is out of it's specs!

#3 A 48" brush mower is more compatible with a much smaller tractor! :confused:

Just as a personal note:
Bag the legal war party mongering, you'll get nowhere, either with Kubota Corp or with helpful members of this forum!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Lacking access to the owner's manual for a 3350, this is just guessing, but here is what I think. There is a table of implement sizes in the manual for mine that is preceded by this statement
"The KUBOTA Tractor has been thoroughly tested for proper performance with implements sold or approved by KUBOTA. Use with implements which are not sold or approved by KUBOTA and which exceed the maximum specifications listed below, or which are otherwise unfit for use with the KUBOTA Tractor may result in malfunctions or failure of the tractor, damage to other property and injury to the operator or others. [Any malfunctions or failures of the tractor resulting from use with improper implements are not covered by warranty]."

I take this to mean damage to the PTO or 3pt hitch might not be covered, but warranty work on the dpf should be still covered, since I can't see that that should be affected unless they think the OP is running the tractor too hot. As far as the vibrations etc Land Pride should stand behind their cutter unless it has been abused. I have no clue about their warranty. So as NIW pointed out, the devil is in the details... which problems are they refusing to fix?

gelliott

Jun 10, 2016
Port Angeles, WA
Facts:

Buy new tractor.

Comes with 2 year warranty.

Dealer in Oregon installed RCF2060 = 60" Rotary Cutter (Heavy Gauge Steel Extra Heavy)

Go to dealer in WA because I am having problems with the tractor and rotary cutter. (Doesn't even matter what the problems are because the warranty on the tractor was deemed void since the wrong implement was put on the tractor )

Denied Warranty on the Tractor and Rotary Cuttter because Rotary Cutter is way too heavy for that B3350. The manual states 48" max. Its a weight issue.

The Rotary Cutter might be rated for the B3350 Horsepower at the pto but it sure is not rated based on the WEIGHT of the actual Rotary Cutter.

What does that weight issue cause.........damage to the clutch and PTO.

make sense?

gelliott

Jun 10, 2016
Port Angeles, WA
Take a close look at the rear end of a B3350 and a L3301. The B3350 rear end is half the size of the L3301. The B3350 can't handle the same type of weight load as the L3301 which is rated for a 72" Rotary Cutter.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Facts:

Buy new tractor.

Comes with 2 year warranty.

Dealer in Oregon installed RCF2060 = 60" Rotary Cutter (Heavy Gauge Steel Extra Heavy)

Go to dealer in WA because I am having problems with the tractor and rotary cutter. (Doesn't even matter what the problems are because the warranty on the tractor was deemed void since the wrong implement was put on the tractor )

Denied Warranty on the Tractor and Rotary Cuttter because Rotary Cutter is way too heavy for that B3350. The manual states 48" max. Its a weight issue.

The Rotary Cutter might be rated for the B3350 Horsepower at the pto but it sure is not rated based on the WEIGHT of the actual Rotary Cutter.

make sense?
How does the weight issue affect the clutch and PTO? I don't see the correlation.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
My interest in this is that I am using a larger than recommended cutter: 48 instead of 42. No problems.

The weight specs on your RCF2060 is 620 lbs.

The recommended 48 in LP RCR1548 cutter is 424 lbs.

The B3350 hitch is rated at 1676 lbs 24 inches behind pins.

I don't understand how the weight is causing your cutter problems:
Excessive vibration, shear bolts breaking while engaging the PTO, etc.

Bruce

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

make sense?
It matters! Because you can break things from abuse / misuse, or to heavy of use, or overloading equipment, or malfunction.

Please, saying the original dealer installed the RCF2060 is not right, you don't "install" a three point implement you simply hook it up.
There is a huge difference between an installed Implement and a Hooked up Implement.

NO, doesn't make sense :confused:, weight and PTO clutch issue have no correlation.:confused:

Now if you say you broke the case from overloading it then I would say yes then that's an issue, or the three point won't lift it, yes that's a weight issue.

I'm betting they are not denying you the tractor warranty, I'm betting they are denying you to claim a PTO clutch failure Under warranty, HUGE difference.

gelliott

Jun 10, 2016
Port Angeles, WA
How does the weight issue affect the clutch and PTO? I don't see the correlation.
The B3350 tractor needs to be at 1400rpm per manual or engine will quit when engaging the PTO with the rotary cutter attached. Its like popping the clutch on your car at 4000rpm's. Not good for anything. So when that PTO gets engaged the shear bolt get destroyed immediately. It happened 2 times at the dealership in WA. Blades are balanced, no issues with the Cutter. Once that PTO is put in gear at 1400 rpm's everything shakes like crazy on the tractor. the manual says if you have a shaking problem lower the rpm to idle before engaging pto with cutter. You CANT do that because anything under 1350rpms shuts the tractor down.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The B3350 tractor needs to be at 1400rpm per manual or engine will quit when engaging the PTO with the rotary cutter attached. Its like popping the clutch on your car at 4000rpm's. Not good for anything. So when that PTO gets engaged the shear bolt get destroyed immediately. It happened 2 times at the dealership in WA. Blades are balanced, no issues with the Cutter. Once that PTO is put in gear at 1400 rpm's everything shakes like crazy on the tractor. the manual says if you have a shaking problem lower the rpm to idle before engaging pto with cutter. You CANT do that because anything under 1350rpms shuts the tractor down.
Keep answering posts, because the more you answer the better understanding we all get of the whole situation!

As you described it, it still has nothing to do with weight of the implement, what your describing is HP and RPM's required to run the implement is too low from your B3350, now that is not a tractor issue (will be now if you burned the clutch out) but an Implement issue!

Now my confusion lies in the RPM of the PTO, I have not ever had a tractor that requires a min RPM to engage the PTO????:confused:
Would like to hear from others with the B3350 to say that is the case with the RPM's.

gelliott

Jun 10, 2016
Port Angeles, WA
My interest in this is that I am using a larger than recommended cutter: 48 instead of 42. No problems.

The weight specs on your RCF2060 is 620 lbs.

The recommended 48 in LP RCR1548 cutter is 424 lbs.

The B3350 hitch is rated at 1676 lbs 24 inches behind pins.

I don't understand how the weight is causing your cutter problems:

Bruce
On Kubotas website......"The maximum weight allowed on the three point hitch of a B-Series tractor is 500 lbs. (227 kg)."........Therefore anything larger than 500 #'s voids the tractor warranty!

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This is turning out to be really interesting, and the differences in the design of the new tractors is surprising, meaning you can't extrapolate from one model to the next. I just got off my 3560 from mowing pastures with a flail mower, and to engage pto, I take rpm's all the way down to idle, engage pto, and then gradually increase throttle to 2426 rpm which gives 540 at the pto. I was curious after I read your post and looked in the manual to see if it mentioned a minimum rpm to engage in case I'd been doing it wrong, but no mention (phew!) . But the two engines are really different, so something else must be different in the design of transmission to pto, not to mention how computer is programmed if your engine stops as soon as you lower rpm with pto engaged. Please continue posts, we are learning a lot!