Do you remember?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Where you were and what you were doing between 0800 and 1100?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Where you were and what you were doing between 0800 and 1100?
Yes I do !!!
I was working for a huge construction firm and by chance I was at the "shop" where dozens are large machines are serviced....

I happened to be replacing decking on a lowboy trailer and they peeps working for me kept breaking that magical size drill bit that is used to get the screws to hold the boards down.....

I would drive to the local hardware store to buy a few more bits and listen the "john boy and billy show" on the radio ..... and ol Johnboy said that reports are saying a "small plane hit the tower" ....

as I got back to the shop - everyone was around a small tv that was rarely on, it was unbelievable to watch the first one fall, surreal - as if you were watching a movie, BUT you knew it was no movie.

In 79 I got chance to ride up to the top of one of the towers and look out the glass windows.....
In 2015 I got a chance to look into the two "pools" and read the memorials.....

From a standpoint of new yorkers ....... they are a resilient bunch - hats off to all that worked to fix and to get that back to somewhat normal., and no - nothing will every be normal - hell I aint sure what normal really is!

But I remember that like it was ........ yesterday!

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I was in the midst of building my shop listening to "Imus in the Morning" radio show, when one of his cronies called in to say a plane had just hit the Trade Center.
We had no television so it was not till long after that I actually saw video of it.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
A Poem for 9/11 by Cheryl Sawyer.

Quoted from One+One Is One, Making Oneness a Way of Life, by Howard E. Caesar.

"As the soot and dirt and ash rained down, we became one color.

As we carried each other down the stairs of the burning building, we became one class.

As we lit candles of waiting and hope, we became one generation.

As the firefighters and police officers found their way into the inferno, we became one gender.

As we fell to our knees in prayer for strength, we became one faith.

As we whispered or shouted words of encouragement we spoke one language.

As we gave blood in lines a mile long, we became one body.

As we mourned together the great loss, we became one family.

As we cried tears of grief and loss, we became one soul.

As we retell with pride the sacrifice of heroes, we become one people.

We are one color,

one class,

one generation,

one gender,

one faith,

one language,

one body,

one family,

one soul,

one people,

We are the power of one.

We are united.

We are America." (WE ARE THE WORLD)

Reactions: 1 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I was running 7024 in a fab shop in Carnegie just off of I-79.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I was at work (large aerospace firm) in a research lab when someone stuck their head in and said a plane had hit one of the towers. Me and a couple others hoofed it over to the cafeteria, the only place in the plant with a TV.
We watched for a few minutes, and then saw the second plane hit. When I turned around, there must have been 500 people behind me, and I never heard them enter; everyone from janitors to VPs, and for once, management was not screaming for us to get back to work.
I remember thinking that the crowd was about evenly divided between people in complete stunned shock, those who were crying, and those of us who wanted to gear up and hit back. I don't think anything was accomplished that day in the company, but the next day, people worked harder than they had in years, with a renewed vigor & motivation. I remember the plant set new records shipping out new & replacement military gear in the following weeks.
Every time I think about it I still want to gear up and hit back.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I was actually sound asleep when it happened. I had gotten in to my Grandparents farm around 3am. Grandparents were in town for doctors appointments. Around 10:30 a lady who they boarded horses for had called on the phone and woke me up.

I answered, but when she asked me what i thought about what happened, I had know idea what she was talking about. I was also in a real fog after driving 20 hrs straight the day before and getting woken up from a sound sleep. So she told me to go turn on the TV.

So, I went down stairs and clicked on the TV and saw the replays of the events that happened that morning.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yep, never forget even though many people seem to have forgotten.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I'll never forget! I was working in a small shoe testing lab in Lynn, MA and heard on the radio about the plane hitting the tower. I ran into the office and the secretary turned on the TV we watched at lunch time and saw the second plane hit. We all sat in shock.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Delivering mail out of the little right hand drive toaster. When it came over the radio first thought was this can't be real followed by a deep sick feeling in my stomach.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
I was in my dorm in Camp Red Cloud, South Korea, asleep. I was woken up by QC, and put on a uniform, went to the armory to draw a rifle, and and reported to the front gate where I worked security with the Army (I was Air Force) for a bit. Then I drove a forklift for 3 days moving barriers to create a serpentine entrance to the post.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
I was in a small plane on route to Syncrude Oil Sands plant. When we landed on a grass strip several miles away the pilot turned and said we won't be going anywhere for a while. We had not heard the news and assumed he was joking given the remoteness of our location. It was only on the bus trip to the plant when they turned on the radio when we realized the awful truth. We have never been the same,

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was teaching a lab, and students were using computers and microscopes in teams of two. I couldn't figure out why some of them were using the computer to pick up news broadcasts instead of doing the lab exercise. I asked one where her lab partner went, and she said there was a plane crash in New York. I still didn't get it, but she said her lab partner had a boyfriend in New York and she was worried. Along about then both the towers were involved and I could see it wasn't just a "normal" plane crash.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Shame we have travel so far apart as a country. Shame so much has been forgotten by so many. 9/11 hurt deeply but our country really did become one. As a true southerner I cried for my brother and sister in New York, Penn and Pentagon.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Shame we have travel so far apart as a country. Shame so much has been forgotten by so many. 9/11 hurt deeply but our country really did become one. As a true southerner I cried for my brother and sister in New York, Penn and Pentagon.
I can promise you that you did not cry alone, it was a deep hurt for us as well your northern neighbors.