Delco Remy Starter Restoration - - 1953 Minneapolis Moline, and many others.....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Some lithium grease on the shaft. Got some new bushings for both ends.

Used the new Bendix from Steiner.

Was a bear to pull the brushes out. A hoop of 16/3 Romex worked well.

God, I hope it works....

9B8B3641-7696-4505-A19F-C92102354590.jpeg

99660444-F58F-40B2-9A05-F6F5BC4DC52B.jpeg
5AEBC25A-A41A-4131-AA9F-5045FF2A44DF.jpeg
B1A3E9B1-E1A8-4C2D-A2B4-07EDDDCED768.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Are you going to bench test it?
Intended to, but the new Bendix came with a WARNING about spinning it before installation (in the tractor?) and voiding warranty.

I posted a picture of the warning at post #17.

A buddy says no sweat...don't worry about it. I'm a little gun-shy though...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I hauled the hour over to my folks to see if I could get the tractor back in working order.

Against my better judgment, I put the starter back in without bench testing it. I was very apprehensive about the two nosecone mounting holes, whether I screwed it up, etc., etc. I’m pushing 60 and still worried about disappointing the Old Man.....

Worked like a charm.....😎

I made my Dad happy again today......he’ll likely tell my grandfather about it on his next visit to the cemetery......

He still wants it gone ( at my house), but he doesn’t want it gone.....for an old former farmer it represents your heritage.....I know many here can relate.

You can see the restored starter between the loader boom and hydraulic cylinder.

57476780-8062-4FEA-9221-A99F376CC9D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
RCW, there was never a doubt that starter wouldn't perform like new again!! :LOL:
What's next on the agenda?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW, there was never a doubt that starter wouldn't perform like new again!! :LOL:
Dad wants the tractor out of his backyard, but he doesn’t......

Just today he asked about when my hauler was coming, and also said it’s not hurting anything where it sits...

I haven’t pushed hauling it here, because he does like it in his backyard. That’s until something goes awry. A couple years ago there was a governor problem.

I will silently leave it there until he makes demands. I offered to pay rent for it’s storage today.

I will follow his lead for a while......if a problem pops up, I can get over there and fix it. He still has it to play with....

To him, it’s my tractor/my problem. I’m fine with that arrangement, as long as he wants to have it there.

As much as he complains about it when there’s a problem, my mother has often said the day that tractor leaves his backyard will be a very bad day for him.....that tractor has been with him for 60+ years.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I neglected to extend my sincere thanks for all your help....

Thank you....my Dad doesn’t know it, but he thanks you too....😎

bird dogger

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I made my Dad happy again today......he’ll likely tell my grandfather about it on his next visit to the cemetery......

He still wants it gone ( at my house), but he doesn’t want it gone.....for an old former farmer it represents your heritage.....I know many here can relate.
You're exactly right on the "heritage" sentiment. My dad and uncles were exactly the same! All their farm equipment, whether outdated or just broken down, went into the farming boneyard and just sat there. Other neighbors would try to buy parts from them but no way would they sell anything off them. At family reunions they'd all stroll through that collection and tell stories. After dad had passed away I was at a family gathering and had to laugh when his cousin told me, "You're dad was the smartest man I knew..... but he was sure no mechanic!" :ROFLMAO: He was spot on with his statement. Too funny! I wouldn't doubt some of that equipment just needed servicing, fuel lines bled, or a simple part replaced.

A few years later my uncles sister wanted to hire a salvage dealer to come and clean up all the scrap metal. My uncle agreed but no way could they touch any of the farm equipment!! Too many memories.

I neglected to extend my sincere thanks for all your help....
Thank you....my Dad doesn’t know it, but he thanks you too....😎
RCW, not a problem. But other than encouragement I'm not sure if it was much help. :) Nice job on the problem solving and reconditioning! If you have a small air compressor I think you'd be surprised how much use you'd get out of that spot blaster I mentioned in that other post. It sure makes cleaning those hard to reach areas and small parts easy. Especially once you get that MM back to your place.
Regards,
david