Delco Remy Starter Restoration - - 1953 Minneapolis Moline, and many others.....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Some lithium grease on the shaft. Got some new bushings for both ends.

Used the new Bendix from Steiner.

Was a bear to pull the brushes out. A hoop of 16/3 Romex worked well.

God, I hope it works....

9B8B3641-7696-4505-A19F-C92102354590.jpeg

99660444-F58F-40B2-9A05-F6F5BC4DC52B.jpeg
5AEBC25A-A41A-4131-AA9F-5045FF2A44DF.jpeg
B1A3E9B1-E1A8-4C2D-A2B4-07EDDDCED768.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Are you going to bench test it?
Intended to, but the new Bendix came with a WARNING about spinning it before installation (in the tractor?) and voiding warranty.

I posted a picture of the warning at post #17.

A buddy says no sweat...don't worry about it. I'm a little gun-shy though...

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I hauled the hour over to my folks to see if I could get the tractor back in working order.

Against my better judgment, I put the starter back in without bench testing it. I was very apprehensive about the two nosecone mounting holes, whether I screwed it up, etc., etc. I’m pushing 60 and still worried about disappointing the Old Man.....

Worked like a charm.....😎

I made my Dad happy again today......he’ll likely tell my grandfather about it on his next visit to the cemetery......

He still wants it gone ( at my house), but he doesn’t want it gone.....for an old former farmer it represents your heritage.....I know many here can relate.

You can see the restored starter between the loader boom and hydraulic cylinder.

57476780-8062-4FEA-9221-A99F376CC9D0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Well done, I like a happy ending!

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
RCW, there was never a doubt that starter wouldn't perform like new again!! :LOL:
What's next on the agenda?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
RCW, there was never a doubt that starter wouldn't perform like new again!! :LOL:
Dad wants the tractor out of his backyard, but he doesn’t......

Just today he asked about when my hauler was coming, and also said it’s not hurting anything where it sits...

I haven’t pushed hauling it here, because he does like it in his backyard. That’s until something goes awry. A couple years ago there was a governor problem.

I will silently leave it there until he makes demands. I offered to pay rent for it’s storage today.

I will follow his lead for a while......if a problem pops up, I can get over there and fix it. He still has it to play with....

To him, it’s my tractor/my problem. I’m fine with that arrangement, as long as he wants to have it there.

As much as he complains about it when there’s a problem, my mother has often said the day that tractor leaves his backyard will be a very bad day for him.....that tractor has been with him for 60+ years.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I neglected to extend my sincere thanks for all your help....

Thank you....my Dad doesn’t know it, but he thanks you too....😎

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I made my Dad happy again today......he’ll likely tell my grandfather about it on his next visit to the cemetery......

He still wants it gone ( at my house), but he doesn’t want it gone.....for an old former farmer it represents your heritage.....I know many here can relate.
You're exactly right on the "heritage" sentiment. My dad and uncles were exactly the same! All their farm equipment, whether outdated or just broken down, went into the farming boneyard and just sat there. Other neighbors would try to buy parts from them but no way would they sell anything off them. At family reunions they'd all stroll through that collection and tell stories. After dad had passed away I was at a family gathering and had to laugh when his cousin told me, "You're dad was the smartest man I knew..... but he was sure no mechanic!" :ROFLMAO: He was spot on with his statement. Too funny! I wouldn't doubt some of that equipment just needed servicing, fuel lines bled, or a simple part replaced.

A few years later my uncles sister wanted to hire a salvage dealer to come and clean up all the scrap metal. My uncle agreed but no way could they touch any of the farm equipment!! Too many memories.

I neglected to extend my sincere thanks for all your help....
Thank you....my Dad doesn’t know it, but he thanks you too....😎
RCW, not a problem. But other than encouragement I'm not sure if it was much help. :) Nice job on the problem solving and reconditioning! If you have a small air compressor I think you'd be surprised how much use you'd get out of that spot blaster I mentioned in that other post. It sure makes cleaning those hard to reach areas and small parts easy. Especially once you get that MM back to your place.
Regards,
david

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m not going to bore everyone with the saga of this over the last 3 or 4 years, but the old Minneapolis Moline came to my house today.

Young neighbor dairy farmer taps my woods for maple, and tractor hauling was a good barter for the sap.

D68BC467-A1F4-48C8-8133-6E8F43E6EBCE.jpeg

F5F17E4D-7C24-4480-9B87-1F5A0C31186E.jpeg

Last edited:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Nice looking tractor. I’m it was hard for both you and your father.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Fantastic tractor! Bitter sweet for your dad I bet.
Nice looking tractor. I’m it was hard for both you and your father.
Well, betting BAP can relate to a "30-foot" tractor....a tractor that looks great from 30 feet...It's still in MUCH better shape than when we used it everyday up until the mid-1970's.

You both got that right!

Dad was actually pretty good about it.

He got to asking questions and telling stories to the young man hauling it....how many you milking? Holsteins? Butterfat? What's a cwt go for for now? Were you born yet for the '66 blizzard?....That tractor plowed the State Road (we hauled milk cans for farmers back then).....

I think that one-sided conversation distracted him enough.

Now, with him a long-time retiree, he has nothing to do but keep after "sonny-boy" to make sure I'm keeping good care of his/my tractor. Unfortunately, while retirement-eligible myself, "sonny-boy" still has to work 45 hours a week, 51+ weeks a year.

I'm sure I'll hear from him regularly...which is okay.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It is hard to explain about these old tractors getting under your skin, but I covet my neighbor's old Oliver that he hauls hay wagons with. It has a draw bar controlled by hydraulics, and it is just a cool tractor. I don't need it, I have no place to store it, I lack the expertise to keep it running...but I like the old thing. Always afraid he is going to have to sell off his farm, his wife is in a nursing home, and someone will not appreciate that tractor.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Well, betting BAP can relate to a "30-foot" tractor....a tractor that looks great from 30 feet...It's still in MUCH better shape than when we used it everyday up until the mid-1970's.

You both got that right!

Dad was actually pretty good about it.

He got to asking questions and telling stories to the young man hauling it....how many you milking? Holsteins? Butterfat? What's a cwt go for for now? Were you born yet for the '66 blizzard?....That tractor plowed the State Road (we hauled milk cans for farmers back then).....

I think that one-sided conversation distracted him enough.

Now, with him a long-time retiree, he has nothing to do but keep after "sonny-boy" to make sure I'm keeping good care of his/my tractor. Unfortunately, while retirement-eligible myself, "sonny-boy" still has to work 45 hours a week, 51+ weeks a year.

I'm sure I'll hear from him regularly...which is okay.
RCW, glad your dad's tractor made it to its new "family caretaker's" home. I had to laugh cuz as you described your dad's reaction and conversation I saw my dad and uncles doing the exact same thing! LOL They're all passed away now for many years but lots of good memories of their farming years and bragging about their equipment to each other. By the way, that's a good looking Moline!! Much better than a "30 Footer"!! :) And you're right.....don't let that sit outside!!
david

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
It is hard to explain about these old tractors getting under your skin, but I covet my neighbor's old Oliver that he hauls hay wagons with. It has a draw bar controlled by hydraulics, and it is just a cool tractor. I don't need it, I have no place to store it, I lack the expertise to keep it running...but I like the old thing. Always afraid he is going to have to sell off his farm, his wife is in a nursing home, and someone will not appreciate that tractor.
sheepfarmer, your Oliver story reminded me of our long ago neighbor that ran Olivers. The others jokingly called Olivers the "Poor Man's John Deere". And he'd reply that his shade of green paint was much less expensive than theirs! And worked just as hard out in the field.

A former coworker of mine has a nice little Oliver Super 55 in extremely nice shape. I think it had belonged to his uncle. Asked if he'd part with it, his answer was "no way". I asked him to let me know if he ever changes his mind. What a nice little tractor.

sheepfarmer, if you get the chance to acquire that Oliver, go for it! You can always find a home for it after you've enjoyed it.....even if for a very short while.
david

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
sheepfarmer, your Oliver story reminded me of our long ago neighbor that ran Olivers. The others jokingly called Olivers the "Poor Man's John Deere". And he'd reply that his shade of green paint was much less expensive than theirs! And worked just as hard out in the field.

A former coworker of mine has a nice little Oliver Super 55 in extremely nice shape. I think it had belonged to his uncle. Asked if he'd part with it, his answer was "no way". I asked him to let me know if he ever changes his mind. What a nice little tractor.

sheepfarmer, if you get the chance to acquire that Oliver, go for it! You can always find a home for it after you've enjoyed it.....even if for a very short while.
david

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Here it is, I photographed that drawbar for another thread a while back. Haven't figured out why the new picture adding feature asks you if you want full size or thumbnail and then post it twice.
35386874-B379-4512-BADD-2673E8389735.jpeg
35386874-B379-4512-BADD-2673E8389735.jpeg
AE77BBDD-12D9-4442-BABE-D1006F7C12A5.jpeg
AE77BBDD-12D9-4442-BABE-D1006F7C12A5.jpeg