COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm sure Sheep knows but... Today our Governor, Gretchen Whitmer issued another EO, this time for masks.

In essence, all residents and those visiting the state will wear a mask in all retail establishments, restaurants, barber shops, bars, health clubs, any retail store. Non compliance will result in a civil infraction and a 500 dollar fine or both.

I would have made it a grand and 10 days in the slammer.

No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service. Didn't say anything about pants however. :rolleyes:

Retail establishments can refuse service or entry.

Kind of figured that was coming down the pike in as much as the Covid cases and deaths are growing, but not in Metro Detroit, but in outlying counties like our rural one. 3 new ones yesterday, 1 the day before an 3 deaths, one was a 40 year old LEO.

Detroiters wear masks. They learned the hard way.

No issue with me, I always wear a mask when going into ANY retail establishment. More for the other person than me. Hell, I might be Covid positive.

I'm sure all the no maskers will be screaming.

Interestingly, Michigan polls show an overwhelming support for her EO's.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Since when is “GOOGLE” an authority on virus? Or anything else. Google is NOT a primary source..it is a SEARCH ENGINE and can find junk just as easily as fact.

Quit Goggle years ago. I use DuckDuckGo. They don't track me for 'analytic' purposes. Goggle blows.

Reactions: 1 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just saw our numbers for today's newest cases. The majority of the new cases are from the ages of 18 to 24yo age group. So in other words it's the young party crowd. I wonder if it's all those covid parties. 🤔🤔🤔

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I read Flip's post that stated, " Retail establishments can refuse service or entry."

It reminded me of the situation a year or so ago when the business refused to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple and lost in a lawsuit. I guess the covid-19 virus gives the business more leeway to refuse service without legal ramifications!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've had about enough of this thread and members in this thread getting nasty with other members for believing or not believing there side of the spin.

Either it cleans up and gets polite or it will be permanently (with no future variations of the subject) closed!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have all the nasty commenters on ignore so I don't have to subject myself to reading any of it. Simple solution.

My very good friend in Maine sent me a message just a little while ago.. I understand the Governor of Maine invoked the mandatory mask order as well for any retail establishment with more than 20 employees.

He told me that he was at Lowes in Bangor yesterday to pick up some building supplies (he's building a screen porch on the back of his home south of Bangor and while at Lowes some guy cam in with no mask on. The clerk told him he wasn't allowed in the store without a mask on and he told the clerk to get ***ked that he was coming in anyway...

My friend told me that within a couple minutes the Bangor PD was there, cuffed the clown and hauled him away, told him to keep his mouth shut and told him he had no respect for others.

I don't know what the consequences are in Maine, but I do know what they are here in Michigan.

Not an issue with my wife and I. We have been wearing our masks right along. it's become a reflex action to grab a mask out of the box when going out to any store.

I guess in Maine, as well as Michigan, non compliance with the Governor's orders nets you grief.

While I may not agree with a Governor's EO's, at the same time, voluntary compliance don't work.

Just like in school, when you disobeyed a command, you got punished.

I'll leave it at that.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Just saw our numbers for today's newest cases. The majority of the new cases are from the ages of 18 to 24yo age group. So in other words it's the young party crowd. I wonder if it's all those covid parties. 🤔🤔🤔

Don't know Darren but I do know I don't want to 'test the depth of the water' either. My personal view is, a lot of the 'push back' on masks originates with Trump and his blatant no mask thing. I did read however that the President of Basil was also a non mask wearing person and now he has Covid and last picture I saw of him, he was wearing a mask. Kind of putting the cart before the horse but at least he realized that being Covid positive he can spread it to innocent, uninfected people, so he's wearing a mask. I hope he survives, I don't want to see anyone succumb to it. One death from Covid is one death too many.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I have all the nasty commenters on ignore so I don't have to subject myself to reading any of it. Simple solution.
Actually the only nasty commenters in here are you and a couple others who have wished death, illness and financial ruin on other members all because we dont see it your way.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well I wish the fix was simple but as we all know it's not. It means making huge sacrifices which many of us are not good at myself included. Even if the numbers are exaggerated there is still a huge problem no matter how you look at it. Maybe short term pain like many of the health care professionals are suggesting like shutting things down, social distancing, wearing masks and gloves and above all a little common sense we may be able to put a dent in this thing. Seems easy enough however as I found out, not so much. We have been spoiled over the years and the thought of giving things up that we enjoy so much, well is painful to say the least but how long do we want to drag this out and at what cost?
Keep well all of you, I wish all of you the best.

Reactions: 2 users

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Actual scientific data show the mask(s) are virtually worthless. Mask (N95) is the best; the rest are the virtually worthless kinds. CV 19 is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry small.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
It would be a lot easier to deal with if we could get accurate information. This goes beyond unqualified people making announcements based on either bad or no information. The CDC and WHO don't agree. Doctors disagree on the particulars of transmission. Doctors disagree on the treatments. The media is having a field day parroting anything anyone says.

The original cry was "Flatten The Curve!". The purpose was to ensure that not everyone would get sick at the same time. It was not about stopping Covid altogether. That could be the only attainable goal. I am not a proponent of getting everyone sick. It could be that a vaccine comes along that will ease things. Whether the vaccine will be effective against the reported mutations or not, who knows?

Wifey and I have always been germ conscious, and now we keep a spray bottle of hand sanitizer in the truck so we can disinfect after going to the store for necessities. We do wear masks in stores and avoid trips and gatherings as best we can. The masks are inconvenient and uncomfortable - but not as inconvenient and uncomfortable as getting Covid.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Now , here in Tx we have a wear a mask order from the Governor that has several loop holes. Add into the mix lots of Sheriffs have allready said they refuse to enforce because of some legal wording about no detaining a non compliant person. The Sheriffs say it will lead to " civil rights " lawsuits. :eek::eek:

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Actual scientific data show the mask(s) are virtually worthless. Mask (N95) is the best; the rest are the virtually worthless kinds. CV 19 is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry small.
I have not contributed to this thread till now but I feel some folks maybe not be aware that:

1- The mask is not to protect you from Covid, but to lessen the spread of the virus from you if you are infected.
2-It is the aerosolized virus that spews out with every breath that fills the air.
The mask just helps cut down the spread.
3- If everyone wore a mask, spread would be greatly reduced and the virus more manageable for the long run.
4- This is even more important if you were to be indoors for a period of time with other people.
Your risk of inhaling enough virus to actually sicken you, increases with time and density of virus, which in an enclosed area continues to increase.
5- You sit in a bar or restaurant or classroom for an hours , observe social distancing, the space continually filling with aerosolized virus with no masks being worn the amount of virus exhaled and inhaled is unchecked.
Masks would certainly lessen the spread.
What else can we do:unsure:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Now , here in Tx we have a wear a mask order from the Governor that has several loop holes. Add into the mix lots of Sheriffs have allready said they refuse to enforce because of some legal wording about no detaining a non compliant person. The Sheriffs say it will lead to " civil rights " lawsuits. :eek::eek:

It appears the every mask EO has 'loopholes' if people want to explore them. I don't. Mask order or not, I still wear one when out in public, and like Fruitcakesa posted, it's really not for me but for your benefit.

I believe with what happened in Maine yesterday, the guy was arrested because there was a sign plainly stating Lowes position outside and the guy got aggressive with the store manager and verbally assaulted him so they detained the guy. I bet if the guy had not gotten nasty, the incident would have been different. The guy would have been barred entry and left but it didn't play that way. The guy got mouthy and then paid the price for insolence.

Voluntary mask compliance is always a whole lot better than forced but it's appearing the forced is the only real way of achieving compliance. Left to a person's own discretion, it's not happening. That, in itself don't say much for the society we live in today does it?

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
I have not contributed to this thread till now but I feel some folks maybe not be aware that:

What else can we do:unsure:
Lots. For example make those who are most at risk stay home. MANDATORY. Also if they do need to go out into public wear a hazmat suit and decontaminate that suit once back home. Would only be temprorary until a vaccine is created.
This isnt any more ridiculous than having non sick people wear masks. and it would PRESERVE freedoms.

There are experts in the field who say that non sick people or asymptomatic people ARE NOT spreading the virus. therefore masking up an asymptomatic person is useless.

Its useless mechanically but it makes scared people feel better and thats why its being done.

Irrational emotional responses to things are never good, just look at all the gun grabs every time a nutjob goes on a shooting spree, look at the riots caused by a bad cop doing his job wrong and now history is being erased because of it......Unchecked emotions.

Most people around my area do not believe this crap and are all done with the hype. Sure there are folks that are unsure but for the most part people are fed up.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
It appears the every mask EO has 'loopholes' if people want to explore them. I don't. Mask order or not, I still wear one when out in public, and like Fruitcakesa posted, it's really not for me but for your benefit.

I believe with what happened in Maine yesterday, the guy was arrested because there was a sign plainly stating Lowes position outside and the guy got aggressive with the store manager and verbally assaulted him so they detained the guy. I bet if the guy had not gotten nasty, the incident would have been different. The guy would have been barred entry and left but it didn't play that way. The guy got mouthy and then paid the price for insolence.

Voluntary mask compliance is always a whole lot better than forced but it's appearing the forced is the only real way of achieving compliance. Left to a person's own discretion, it's not happening. That, in itself don't say much for the society we live in today does it?
Vermont continues to be voluntary and prior to the recent exodus from the south , had fairly high compiance and lessening infection rates.
But since as Vermont opens it's doors, due to increasing influx of people, the number of cases are slowly rising again.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Just to add to what fruitcakes was saying, you are correct that the virus itself is verrry small, however it is not exhaled by itself. The virus is in fluid on the surface of the lining of the nose mouth and lungs, and leaves in little droplets which are big enough to be caught in the mesh of a mask. The masks available to the public now, other than properly fitted N95s, even cloth masks, are adequate to greatly decrease the number of tiny droplets spread around the room when someone speaks, thus helping to protect the other occupants. The N95s when tightly fitted to the face of the wearer are designed to protect him or her from inhaled contaminants, but are a bugger to wear for any length of time. My friend a state veterinarian wears one to autopsy TB cows, and says the grooves in her face last many hours after removing the mask. But so far has not caught TB!

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.