COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
It's actually frightening what's happening in this country in the name of "HEALTH"
Fauci with his connection to China; China with it's control of WHO. CDC is VERY SKETCHY IMO.
This Virus is airborne and if one was to actually try to protect against catching the infection, one should be wearing a RESPIRATOR MASK and a full FACE SHIELD. Even then you're still at the mercy of the Virus. Never before in history has this country been shut down until now. I've got 10 bucks that says it will wilt into the ether come November the 4th, when we will once again concentrate on the Flu (which WILL kill far more people).

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Could ANYONE point out another time in history that we shut the country down for the Corona virus (It has been with us for centuries).

Could ANYONE point out another time in history that we shut the country down for ANY virus?

Anyone?

I'm just wondering how everyone has forgot how this has always been done in the past. Thousands of virus's, hundreds of years.

This current approach guarantees the virus will stay around a lot longer. Doesn't that bother anyone?

PS. Flip, I totally agree that you should wear a mask all the time. It could possibly catch all kinds of toxicity coming out.
I am not a medical historian, and I imagine you could research it too, but I was interested. My first answer was that if you go back more than 100 years or so, you'll find the examples where peoples sacrificed virgins etc to propitiate the angry gods for sending a plague to the population.

As far as shutdowns, we did not have a whole country shutdown, so there are some comparable examples. The 1918 spanish flu pandemic included some quarantines, but worldwide some things were not closed due to the war. Even though viruses per se were not identified until the early 1900s, and couldn't be seen until the invention of the electron mocroscope around 1930, in 1918 they were pretty sure there was airborne spread from breathing and coughing.

The polio epidemic that pendoreille and I remember they were not sure how it was being spread at the time, and how many cases were asymptomatic! They just did see the large numbers of kids becoming paralyzed and shut down movie theaters and swimming pools to try to stop it. Keep in mind it was called infantile paralysis. It is largely gone from the US due to vaccination but is not gone elsewhere. It is transmitted by contaminated food and water, is incurable, and leaves lifetime deficits that can turn up many years later.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/polio/symptoms-causes/syc-20376512

When there is no cure and no vaccine, people in the last century have turned to social isolation, quarantines and yes, masks, whenever they thought a contagious bacterial or viral agent was involved. I'm sure someone can add more examples and what was attempted.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Is it that hard to say it has never been done in history?
Mostly because I am not sure what your point is. If you are inventing a hypothetical situation that no one can or would do, yup no one has done that. Not practical then, not practical now. Around the world shutdowns have been stay home except for essential services etc.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Mostly because I am not sure what your point is. If you are inventing a hypothetical situation that no one can or would do, yup no one has done that. Not practical then, not practical now. Around the world shutdowns have been stay home except for essential services etc.
My point is, we have never done this before in history. We have however dealt with the Corona family of virus's as well as thousands of others - successfully, and never in this way.

I would do what has always worked in the past, not "try something new" which obviously can only PROLONG the outbreak.

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Look up this doctor from Mn. and what is happening to him.
I didn't look up the fallout, but what he had to say was reasonable from my point of view. Easy for some of the folks to wilfully misinterpret though.

Two thoughts, I am still trying to sort out the counting of cases and deaths issue, and I am afraid it will differ from state to state. Michigan appears to try real hard to be accurate. There are separate sample id codes and patient id codes on the form which any reasonably bright computer would stop counting two and three separate tests as separate "cases". But I have a friend who is a research epidemiologist that I thought I'd ask.

Second is the person who made the video should know about the troll effect. Another friend who was in medical IT work and now has his own blog on other subjects explained all sorts of things to be wary of when posting on the internet. Basically the hijacking of someone else's postings for their own purposes. Includes posting of multiple links to redirect traffic to their sites.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Are people and scientists smarter and more informed today then in 1900 ?
I would certainly hope so. Back then it took weeks to travel across a few states. Now it takes hours.
But the argument someone is pushing "do excatly whats been done in the past outbreaks and it will simply pass"
So what is it thats been done in the past thats saved lives and and virus has passed ??

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
People have access to more technology today than they had in 1900. People are no smarter now than they were then. All you need to do is look around. Access to technology has replaced thinking. If you don't believe that just watch the person at the checkout try to make change. Watch the stores sell out of milk, eggs, toilet paper and bread when the next blizzard or virus is predicted.

EDIT TO ADD: We are sometimes astonished at some of the things our grandparents accepted as "fact". 100 years from now our grandchildren will be astonished at some of the things we believe are true.

Reactions: 1 users

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
In case anyone here cares, here is the covid times protocol for entry into bootcamp as a recruit. My son is shipping out end of august for the Navy.

2 weeks prior to ship date, must self quarantine in home and immediate family only. No friends, no work no leaving home.
On ship day get sent to a hotel with 3 other recruits near bootcamp to quarantine there for 2 weeks. Not allowed to leave the hotel. After those 2 weeks its off to bootcamp with 25% fewer people then usual.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Good luck to your son, the Military is never a bad option, IMO.
Not bad at all if anything will teach him more discipline which is a rarity these days. BTW out of 200 kids in his graduating class 2 went to military. Sad really.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
In case anyone here cares, here is the covid times protocol for entry into bootcamp as a recruit. My son is shipping out end of august for the Navy.

2 weeks prior to ship date, must self quarantine in home and immediate family only. No friends, no work no leaving home.
On ship day get sent to a hotel with 3 other recruits near bootcamp to quarantine there for 2 weeks. Not allowed to leave the hotel. After those 2 weeks its off to bootcamp with 25% fewer people then usual.
Thank your son for his upcoming service from me, too! Much respect!!

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
Masks will be mandatory here in my town tomorrow. The problem I have with masks is I think it ultimately could cause more harm than good. I watch everyone wearing them. They are constantly fiddling with them touching their face, nose and mouth area. So, they're touching things then constantly readjusting their masks. On top of that, most take off their mask when not in use and stick it in their pocket or some other place that could pick up surface particles. I watched an elderly lady the other day come into a restaurant. She was fiddling with the mask the whole time. She finally took it off when she sat down to eat. She placed the mask on the table, it then fell onto the floor. She picked up the mask, put it in her purse, only to put back on as she left.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Masks will be mandatory here in my town tomorrow. The problem I have with masks is I think it ultimately could cause more harm than good. I watch everyone wearing them. They are constantly fiddling with them touching their face, nose and mouth area. So, they're touching things then constantly readjusting their masks. On top of that, most take off their mask when not in use and stick it in their pocket or some other place that could pick up surface particles. I watched an elderly lady the other day come into a restaurant. She was fiddling with the mask the whole time. She finally took it off when she sat down to eat. She placed the mask on the table, it then fell onto the floor. She picked up the mask, put it in her purse, only to put back on as she left.
I'm pretty sure that's the new normal every where you go. I see the same thing while out and about. Witnessed the same thing when I was in Mississippi a couple weeks ago. And as it gets hotter, the more people will fight with them.

Saw a couple guys out riding bicycles the other day masked up. It was 95 and high humidity. How those to guys didn't drop of heat stroke is beyond me. I can't work in the heat in my shop while wearing a mask without it adding to my misery and kicking my butt faster. I couldnt imagine our riding a bike with the sun beating down on me breathing in that hot air.

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Courtesy of one of my Australian cousins. Nurses have a good sense of humor. 🙂
77F7460C-7AB5-4CD9-AF28-E6DFA42BD80C.jpeg

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I'm pretty sure that's the new normal every where you go. I see the same thing while out and about. Witnessed the same thing when I was in Mississippi a couple weeks ago. And as it gets hotter, the more people will fight with them.

Saw a couple guys out riding bicycles the other day masked up. It was 95 and high humidity. How those to guys didn't drop of heat stroke is beyond me. I can't work in the heat in my shop while wearing a mask without it adding to my misery and kicking my butt faster. I couldnt imagine our riding a bike with the sun beating down on me breathing in that hot air.

Same thing here. Wife said tonight that I guess we going “mandatory” masks here starting tomorrow. No way I could work in a mask.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Are people and scientists smarter and more informed today then in 1900 ?
I would certainly hope so. Back then it took weeks to travel across a few states. Now it takes hours.
But the argument someone is pushing "do excatly whats been done in the past outbreaks and it will simply pass"
So what is it thats been done in the past thats saved lives and and virus has passed ??
That is called a straw man argument. Since 1900? I said HUNDREDS of years. How about SARS in 2015? Bird Flu in 2016 and on and on. THOSANDS OF VIRUS'S over HUNDREDS of YEARS. You don't have to focus on the oldest ones.

You think they are smarter now? Hard to beleve when they can't even perform simple math anymore.

So they got smarter but forgot how to count?

In order to get a really big scary number,
We have changed what "fever" is,
We have changed admittance policies in hospitals,
We have changed testing procedures,
We have changed how they "count" the tests.

ALL FOR THIS VIRUS. in 2020. Not for any of the thousands that came before it.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
It is funny how they have the whole issue boiled down to a "mask" and how the gullible have fallen right in line. The mask will save the world - ROFLMAO.

The unwashed re-used mask the MAJORITY of people wear will help keep the virus alive. It is a nice MOIST, porous clingy material.

When I put on a face covering - it is to help the weak minded, not myself.
It is to keep from "triggering" someone like Flip.
It is to make someone that believes in a bunch of fake numbers feel better about themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.