COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
Just to add to what fruitcakes was saying, you are correct that the virus itself is verrry small, however it is not exhaled by itself. The virus is in fluid on the surface of the lining of the nose mouth and lungs, and leaves in little droplets which are big enough to be caught in the mesh of a mask. The masks available to the public now, other than properly fitted N95s, even cloth masks, are adequate to greatly decrease the number of tiny droplets spread around the room when someone speaks, thus helping to protect the other occupants. The N95s when tightly fitted to the face of the wearer are designed to protect him or her from inhaled contaminants, but are a bugger to wear for any length of time. My friend a state veterinarian wears one to autopsy TB cows, and says the grooves in her face last many hours after removing the mask. But so far has not caught TB!
The virus isnt exhaled by healthy or asymptomatic people so what virus is the mask going to catch?

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I was in a credit union today refinancing my truck loan from 8% Ford to 2.5% CU.
I said to the manager in her office your door states masks must be worn. Ahead of me in the lobby there was three without masks. I know she said. But we cant ask anyone if they have a health condition and can't wear a mask, thats none of our business. And she said were Not the police. lol.
Lots of places are Not enforcing the mask 'law' here.
Our gracious Gov Mills (aka 'Blinky') has set up a Nazi Tip Line and Ratt'umOut web page to tattle on businesses Not pushing the Must Wear law.

Reactions: 1 user

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
I was in a credit union today refinancing my truck loan from 8% Ford to 2.5% CU.
I said to the manager in her office your door states masks must be worn. Ahead of me in the lobby there was three without masks. I know she said. But we cant ask anyone if they have a health condition and can't wear a mask, thats none of our business. And she said were Not the police. lol.
Lots of places are Not enforcing the mask 'law' here.
Our gracious Gov Mills (aka 'Blinky') has set up a Nazi Tip Line and Ratt'umOut web page to tattle on businesses Not pushing the Must Wear law.
My Son works for a retail chain store while awaiting bootcamp and a few employees where caught without masks. So a mask nazi customer ratted them out to the boss and posted up on facebook. The responses were overwhealmingly in favor of the workers who got ratted out and against the NAZI as it should be.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
The virus isnt exhaled by healthy or asymptomatic people so what virus is the mask going to catch?
If you can have/carry the virus for two weeks without even having a symptom, Exhaling and blowing and sneezing and puffing out the virus for days and days . Thats what virus you will not give to others by wearing a mask.
I used Flips Google: a'symp-to-mat'ic (a condition of carring and passing a virus while showing no symptoms)
The mask will stop the virus from passing from this type of carrier too.
Note: I only went to high school.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 4, 2018
Maine
If you can have/carry the virus for two weeks without even having a symptom, Exhaling and blowing and sneezing and puffing out the virus for days and days . Thats what virus you will not give to others by wearing a mask.
I used Flips Google: a'symp-to-mat'ic (a condition of carring and passing a virus while showing no symptoms)
The mask will stop the virus from passing from this type of carrier too.
Note: I only went to high school.
Look a few pages back, there are PHD folks specializing in this field who have been doing research on this subject using up to the minute data and the data coming back is that people without symptoms arent passing it on.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Not for C-19, but I always have worn a 3M N95 mask while sawmilling (18+ years) to keep from inhaling dust. That's 6+ hours each day.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Our governors mask mandate has the usual loop holes attached. For me the bottom line is I will and have from the get go.

I'd like to see it gone and it may be next winter if the vaccine is developed as I keep reading in the paper.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Just to add to what fruitcakes was saying, you are correct that the virus itself is verrry small, however it is not exhaled by itself. The virus is in fluid on the surface of the lining of the nose mouth and lungs, and leaves in little droplets which are big enough to be caught in the mesh of a mask. The masks available to the public now, other than properly fitted N95s, even cloth masks, are adequate to greatly decrease the number of tiny droplets spread around the room when someone speaks, thus helping to protect the other occupants. The N95s when tightly fitted to the face of the wearer are designed to protect him or her from inhaled contaminants, but are a bugger to wear for any length of time. My friend a state veterinarian wears one to autopsy TB cows, and says the grooves in her face last many hours after removing the mask. But so far has not caught TB!

I agree; but how many of the little bastards does it take to infect someone, or a whole room full.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I agree; but how many of the little bastards does it take to infect someone, or a whole room full.
That is scientifically the 64,000 dollar question that a number of groups are trying to figure out. Why do some people get mild cases and some people of similar age etc get really sick? Is it the number of virus particles encountered? Is it the size of droplets inhaled? Tiny droplets more like aerosols might be inhaled deeper into the lungs. It is important for this virus and others that are airborn like measles and flu to design ventilation systems to clean and filter the air better, so researchers are thinking about these questions.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I always have worn a 3M N95 mask while sawmilling (18+ years) to keep from inhaling dust. That's 6+ hours each day.
Wow, according to my BIL (and countless others) you must be dead. No one can wear a mask that long, you will die from breathing your own carbon dioxide.

Reactions: 1 users

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I'm more than pleased to see that the mods have let this thread carry on. Yes there is robust debate and even a bit of name calling a while back, but this is the only forum I'm aware of where I can see honestly held beliefs provided and defended, and some real information from "ground zero". Myself, I tend to like "OK go along with the official rules as I hope they have got good advice and know best at least at on the currently available information" :cautious: but it has been illuminating reading of the alternative views and why the proponents defend it. This sort of debate is missing from the usual sources of information and helps me appreciate why people sincerely hold the contrasting opinions that they do.

And on the lighter side, the funniest remark wouild be from Flip about why he doesn't wear his Kimber 45 into the store.

So, to the mods (y) thank you.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Wow, according to my BIL (and countless others) you must be dead. No one can wear a mask that long, you will die from breathing your own carbon dioxide.

You will have to ask his wife about that...... :p

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That is scientifically the 64,000 dollar question that a number of groups are trying to figure out. Why do some people get mild cases and some people of similar age etc get really sick? Is it the number of virus particles encountered? Is it the size of droplets inhaled? Tiny droplets more like aerosols might be inhaled deeper into the lungs. It is important for this virus and others that are airborn like measles and flu to design ventilation systems to clean and filter the air better, so researchers are thinking about these questions.

My good friend Tom and I were discussing that very subject a few days ago. I won't fly anywhere and neither will he just because of the recycled atmosphere in an airplane. The ambient air in an aircraft is constantly recycled and 'purification' is questionable. If I were to go out west hunting this year (I'm not), I'd be driving, not flying. This year is a 'stay local' season for me. Other than hunting locally, no hunting trips planned.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
A lot of questions and not a lot of beyond a shadow of a doubt answers as of yet. To be fare it really hasn't been that long overall even though it doesn't seem that way. Plenty of very intelligent folks all over the world who are highly trained putting many hours in trying to get a grip on this virus. I don't believe there will be a break through anytime soon (hope I'm wrong) so best be prepared for the long haul.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
And on the lighter side, the funniest remark wouild be from Flip about why he doesn't wear his Kimber 45 into the store.

So, to the mods (y) thank you.
Just for clarification Flip "FORGOT" his loaded weapon (that he threatened to shoot someone with that is standing too close) in the car.

Leaving a loaded weapon in your un-attended car between the seats is not really "good gun practices", we actually call it negligent in our state. People will break a car window to steal change, a loaded gun would be a gimme.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Could ANYONE point out another time in history that we shut the country down for the Corona virus (It has been with us for centuries).

Could ANYONE point out another time in history that we shut the country down for ANY virus?

Anyone?

I'm just wondering how everyone has forgot how this has always been done in the past. Thousands of virus's, hundreds of years.

This current approach guarantees the virus will stay around a lot longer. Doesn't that bother anyone?

PS. Flip, I totally agree that you should wear a mask all the time. It could possibly catch all kinds of toxicity coming out.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just for clarification Flip "FORGOT" his loaded weapon (that he threatened to shoot someone with that is standing too close) in the car.

Leaving a loaded weapon in your un-attended car between the seats is not really "good gun practices", we actually call it negligent in our state. People will break a car window to steal change, a loaded gun would be a gimme.
It's good practice if you have a lock box that is hidden that it can be stored in.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
For sure.
But what about tucked between the seat and console?
That's out of the question and not one of my practices. Door console or between the seats is a no go. Both of my vehicles have an locking console out of view. So if I have to store it, it's locked in there for a quick trip inside somewhere.

If it's for the day, then it's stored back at the room in a safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.