COVID-19 Stuff

Carry on with the political ranting, mud slinging, name calling, and insults, or close the thread.

• Leave it open

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Close the thread

Votes: 10 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR
Re: Is the sky falling?

As long as we can have a president who understands the need for a mostly
"self reliant" economy, we will fair well from this pandemic in the future.

Many more new jobs will be created with less bureaucracy.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa

Tornado,
Please stop!

Your ranting and I won't allow it, everyone has been civil on this thread and it will remain that way.

Have an opinion but do it with calm! ;)
I didn't realize I was being uncivil. Ill go edit my few replies and not participate in this discussion anymore. Carry on.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH

Tornado - The virus fatality or spread is irrelevant as far as changes going forward that I was talking about.

Restaurants and bars are closed. That is real and now. Supermarket shelves are empty in a lot of places. That is real and now.

If you watch some stations, the world is coming to an end and Trump is hand delivering death door to door. That is where a lot of the panic comes from. At the same time, if you were relying on a restaurant for dinner tonight, you are out of luck and that is real. If I had to rely on restaurants for my dinner I would be a little panicy right now too.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I didn't realize I was being uncivil. Ill go edit my few replies and not participate in this discussion anymore. Carry on.
Whatever you think is best for you.
I just asked you to calm down.
I didn't ask you to change your posts or your opinion or leave.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States

We haven't planted a garden in 20 years + here.
This year I plan on growing a few vegetables.
Our potatoes, snow peas, cabbage, mustard greens all up & doing great. We planted tomatoes, black eyed peas yesterday and planned on getting corn & beans today but got more rain early this morning.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

I envy you folks that are able to grow your own. Can barely grow grass here with nothing but rock and clay.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

It is easy to point fingers and blame after the fact, especially for me, but at this point all we can do is make the best of it. Some of us are lucky, we had depression era parents, and so planning ahead comes second nature. I thought this was a likely scenario 6 weeks ago, and have been stocking up whenever some staple or other appeared on sale. But in order to combat the mental health issues among the rest of the population maybe we can see what we can do to help out. People don't get crazy as long as they don't think they are hung out to dry or think they are going to starve. Here are some ideas, and I am betting many of you can come up with more.

Besides offering to bring groceries to your neighbors who are high risk and shouldn't make a run to the store, offer to bring back feed, trace mineral, or whatever if you are going to the elevator.

If you have expertise, offer to help feed, milk, whatever in case someone loses a helper or is sick.

Offer to take their truck to the service station for fuel. (Use disposable gloves on pump handles, be careful not to contaminate steering wheel afterwards.)

When you see evidence of a small business trying to make the best of it, use their services if you can. Two that I admired recently were the little restaurant that advertised on Facebook that they would have St Pats dinners available in an improvised drive through lane, corned beef and cabbage etc, 2 sizes, $11 and $14. If they weren't in Indiana I'd take them up on it.

Second one was a little theater, room only for about 50 people total, puts on great plays, has to close down a production, said ticket holders could get their money back, but could also have a password to view a video of the production on line. Or they would be grateful for donations to pay their employees. I donated, they are a great group of people.

A perfume making company in France is using their equipment to make hand sanitizer and giving it free to the hospitals.

If you have hourly employees that you have to furlough and that can't collect unemployment, consider spotting them a week or so's wages if you can afford it. If possible rearrange work so you have something for them to do after that. Some people won't qualify for any of the government rescue plans.

Just because there are a bunch of folks running around like headless chickens, does not mean we all have to. I vote for being prudent and being kind.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Some folks seem to think this pandemic is fabricated and the ideas of shutting things down is not necessary.

Here are a couple of thought from folks who have been where we hope we don't have to go.

I was communicating with a friend in Australia and his comment was they are asked to keep group size to under 500. He said, look what that has got us.

Here's part of an interview from an American playing professional basketball in Italy.

Here's a nice interview with an American who was playing professional basketball in Italy until coming home last week. He's seen their outbreak firsthand, and doesn't have good things to say:

The hospitals are at such a capacity all throughout Italy, but especially in the towns around me. If a young person such as myself came in with the virus, and an older person came in, say 65, or 70, at such a capacity they would only treat me. And they would tell the older person to go home. They were literally choosing who was going to get treatment because of the rates that elderly people are dying at, versus the rate of recovery for younger people.

Americans that haven***8217;t witnessed what I saw in Italy, and what you see going around on the internet, people think it***8217;s just the flu. Coronavirus travels so much faster than the flu. It***8217;s kind of an ignorance.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...italy-self-quarantine-coronavirus/5056346002/

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

I envy you folks that are able to grow your own. Can barely grow grass here with nothing but rock and clay.
I have never been to your part of the world but couldn't you do raised gardens? Since I got stuck in a wheelchair we got some blue barrels and cut them in half. A little gravel in the bottom along with some top soil and peat moss we will grow a few things.

Along with restocking the chicken house for meat and eggs.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Find someone who raises livestock, esp. cattle. They will have some Protein Tubs. Farmers buy the protein tubs to compliment their winter hay. When the tubs are empty they usually get stashed in the barn or wind blows then down to a low spot. They're perfect for a container garden. Oh, they come in various colors, red, black, yellow, green.:D

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Thanks guys, great advice, will give it a try when our long awaited spring shows up.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL

Thanks guys, great advice, will give it a try when our long awaited spring shows up.

You need to order your Burpee Catalog now and get your seeds started in the peat pots. This will give you a head start as I am sure your summers are short.

I also used some rain gutter mounted to a 6 foot chain link fence to grow things hydroponics style. The gutter was full of vermiculite. I mounted a 5 gallon bucket up high with a spout set to drip and set another bucket at the other end of the gutter to catch the run off. There was 3 pieces of gutter with switchbacks at the end to keep the water flowing. Added a little Miracle Grow and water to refill the bucket and repeat.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

I like straw bales myself for growing root crops like potatoes and yams and beets and radishes and so on. The rotting straw makes excellent fertilizer and the bales hold moisture in well too, plus in the fall you can till then in for compost. Positives all around. Excellent for potatoes as you can 'reach' in and pluck out the 'new potatoes without disturbing the plants.

jabloomf1230

Equipment
B 3200
Sep 28, 2014
Voorheesville, NY

Sometimes simple suggestions can be most helpful. I live on a decent sized piece of land on a dead end private road. My wife and I do have a vegetable garden, but we got tired of feeding the deer, rabbits, squirrels etc., so over the years we cut down its size and variety. We now only grow tomatoes, a few hills of squash and cukes and herbs (the legal ones). But due to the suggestions in this thread, I'm thinking of going back to a full garden and battling the wildlife. Thanks for the idea and encouragement.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada

to bearbait... 40yr+ ago, TV show, gardener in Maine(?),dang rocky NO soil..., she used small square bales(8) to form 'raisedbed'. Tossed all kitchen waste in,seaweed,fishguts,etc.into it.next year THAT became her garden plot.She also extended it by 6 bales in a 'U', so 2nd years compostables filled THAT 'plot. She had 2 rows,maybe 9 -10 'plots' long on the show. when 1st 'plot' rotted, that got tossed into 5,6 or 7..down the line...
yes it takes awhile,but manageable

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. Hard to think about right now after waking up to a fare amount of heavy white snow and with all that's going on in the world right now. On the other hand because of everything that's going on you have my wheels turning (boy do they need some lube) as I sure can't see things getting better any time soon. What's baffling me the most is when watching the news is seeing people in countries that were hit first with this virus almost everyone is wearing a mask when around other people however here in North America you only see the occasional person wearing one. It's almost as though we haven't learned much from others mistakes. Don't wait the government to tell you what to do to protect yourself. I will give them credit though for the many shut downs they are enforcing trying to stop the spread but it won't work if the individual won't do their part. Think of it as short term pain for a long term gain. Gonna be interesting to see how this all turns out.:(

KTuk4J

Equipment
B2650 Duetz Allis 6275 CAT D6 CAT 110B
Mar 2, 2020
NW OR

I'm posting this without exposing the officials within a state school district as it is an unofficial statement sent to a limited few.
I disagree with how it was conveyed.
Take is as hearsay however it was from a high up in district office that came out late yesterday.

They are discussing the fact which schools may not reopen until a vaccine becomes available. Somewhat like how they handle the measles. No child is allowed to attend unless they can prove immunization.
My understanding the vaccine is 1-1 1/2 years away.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa

Trump says US, Canada to close border to 'non-essential traffic' amid coronavirus

President Trump on Wednesday said the U.S. and Canada had agreed to close their border to most travel as the two countries seek to blunt the spread of the coronavirus.

"We will be, by mutual consent, temporarily closing our Northern Border with Canada to non-essential traffic. Trade will not be affected. Details to follow!" Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.