B7001 4x4 not working

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Hello all. So glad I found this site! Im new here. I tried searching but no luck for the following;

I bought a used 1971 B7001 Kabota. I just got it the other day. Can someone tell me the procedure to put it in 4x4. We are in the middle of a blizzard and I wanted to push snow with it. It has crazy deep treads on the tires and I have chains. Although the chains just fall between the treads. lol I can't seem to do anything but get stuck and spin with it. I've tried both low and high. Anyone? Kabota for dummy?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Rascal, not familiar with your model tractor, but I'll try to give you an idea of what to look for. I am speaking in general terms, so you'll have to look at your tractor to see what to try.

Let's go through the levers. You have a PTO lever. It will be marked H-N-Low. It makes the rear splined PTO shaft turn. Only needed for tilling or attachments with a shaft to hook to it. Should be in N if not using rear attachment.

You have a Hi-Low range shift lever. This only changes speed of tractor.

You have a lever down at the heal of your right foot. You press down with your heal (WHEN TRACTOR IS STOPPED), the both rear tires spin at the same time. This doesn't allow you to turn, only for additional traction. When you let up on the lever, tractor should be able to turn again. If not go forward and backward a little and it should release.

You have another lever. It may be a round shaft with a bend at the top to allow you to push down or pull up. You will have to experiment, because I don't know your tractor. Try pulling it up. It will only move an inch or so. Or try pushing down.

If my description isn't like your tractor, determine what lever goes to what function, and you'll discover one for 4x4. It could be a lever, usually on the left side under your thigh, and it needs to be moved one way or the other.

Does you tractor have any decals, marks to give you an idea of what it does?

Good luck, stay warm.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello all. So glad I found this site! Im new here. I tried searching but no luck for the following;

I bought a used 1971 B7001 Kabota. I just got it the other day. Can someone tell me the procedure to put it in 4x4. We are in the middle of a blizzard and I wanted to push snow with it. It has crazy deep treads on the tires and I have chains. Although the chains just fall between the treads. lol I can't seem to do anything but get stuck and spin with it. I've tried both low and high. Anyone? Kabota for dummy?
Rascal,

Sit on your seat - right side, short little stubby lever - below your range select, you will have to reach down a bit, throw the lever towards the front, it should be horz when engaged in 4WD , lift the lever back more a less vertical when in 2WD.

engage the clutch and grind - sometimes a little forward or backward movement is needed to pop it in!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Crazy deep tread? little ambiguous. Tread depths range from Rice Tires (can be like 6+"? depth and few cleats/lugs of them all way down to Turf tires which can be 1/2? to 1"? depth and lots of lugs.

Good bit of info on this board about snow and best tires for it. Also about chains. Recent discussion on chains modified with 4"? square plates welded on to work with AG tires.

Then there is the various ways to slice (Sipe / Grove) the tires you have to make them work better w/out chains.

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks so much for the advice all. I did download a manual. The labels are worn off. (I have ordered new ones ). I didn't realize that there may be a pedal to drive both back wheels so I will check. I did push the lever on right all the way down. It only moves about an inch but seems the front wheels don't engage. I'll try moving tractor a bit to see if it will help. According to dealer, my tractor is almost identical to the B7100 and that's the manual that I downloaded for it.

I'm attaching a picture

Attachments

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
As described, it will be the lowest lever on your right side, on the side of the transmission case. Up is 2WD and down is 4WD, and it should move about 2 inches or so. If it hasn't been used in a long time, it could be stuck in place.

The lever at your left heel is the differential lock, and it should not be activated if the tires are spinning. Stop the tires from moving, push down on it with your heel, and if it doesn't go down, you may need to rotate a tire gently until the pin holes in the differential line up with the pins. Then, the lever will go down. If you attempt to engage it while the tires are spinning at a decent rate, you can shear those pins off.

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
As described, it will be the lowest lever on your right side, on the side of the transmission case. Up is 2WD and down is 4WD, and it should move about 2 inches or so. If it hasn't been used in a long time, it could be stuck in place.

The lever at your left heel is the differential lock, and it should not be activated if the tires are spinning. Stop the tires from moving, push down on it with your heel, and if it doesn't go down, you may need to rotate a tire gently until the pin holes in the differential line up with the pins. Then, the lever will go down. If you attempt to engage it while the tires are spinning at a decent rate, you can shear those pins off.
Lever does move and I can feel it wanting to engage but it won't go down any farther. I wonder if it needs to be pulled off and repositioned higher?
Good to know about not pushing down to engage two wheels. Thank you

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"Lever does move and I can feel it wanting to engage but it won't go down any farther"

continue to work the lever, as you are doing it - make sure the steering is straight and make sure the clutch is pushed down all the way. As said before - rock the tractor a little as you push-pull on the lever, it ought to go in, might just need a little effort!:)

Changnam 59

Equipment
New to the world of Orange
Dec 24, 2011
Pathumthanee, Thailand
Try this:

1. Ignore the diff lock for now.

2. Apply gentle but consistent downward pressure to the 2WD/4WD lever while operating the clutch. Normally you will find that the lever will drop into 4WD just as the clutch starts to bite.

Works for me on my B6000 4WD

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Try this:

1. Ignore the diff lock for now.

2. Apply gentle but consistent downward pressure to the 2WD/4WD lever while operating the clutch. Normally you will find that the lever will drop into 4WD just as the clutch starts to bite.

Works for me on my B6000 4WD
Thank you. Actually I did try that numerous times. It bumps like it wants to jump in but i cant push the lever down any further. I know what you mean though. I've owned tractors before and have a 5 speed vehicle.
Ive been corresponding with the fellow that I bought it from and he is putting me in touch with the mechanic that installed the plow and worked on tractor. Hopefully I will have some answers tomorrow.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Two things-
It sounds like a mechanical issue- it should engage, doing what has been suggested, unless something is wrong.

Second, the previous owner had to know that the 4WD wasn't engaging. It sounds like he might be putting the mechanic on the spot, so I wouldn't expect the mechanic to know what's going on- unless he has worked on it, and the owner isn't fessing up. Either way, if I were in your shoes, I would expect that there is a problem, and it is your problem, now. Anything else will be a plus.

workhorse

Jan 14, 2016
Alden, franklinville, boston
Not sure about your model, but my l295dt has a drop box under the tractor that has two drives in it, and has an L shaped arm that slides the drives back and forth/ in and out of 4wd. Mine was broke and was able to be welded. The part is no longer available. Regardless, if that's the problem or not, my shift lever has 2 recessed dimples. Theres a dimple for when your in 2wd and when your in 4wd. If you can get some help to see if you have something similar to know if its something internal or not. I would not get too crazy with the rock and wiggle technique !

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Thanks for all the help and advice. I checked the transmission fluid and found it is very low. I pursued that online to find out what type of fluid it takes only to discover all kinds of other information. This, after kicking myself every which way. I will get a chance to check things out today. I've been working so no time. I'm hoping I can get things resolved since we just came out of a blizzard and a good foot of snow on the ground. Will post update soon. Thanks again.

Update: so added about 1/2 quart of fluid and found out its milky. Not good. Not sure what the capacity is but will want to be changing fluid. Also noticed a slight clacking when in reverse and pedal /shifter jumping. Clacking doesn't do it every time I reverse.

I am confident that something happened in transport

How much fluid do I need. Won't be easy getting out with all the snow today

Last edited:

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Not sure about your model, but my l295dt has a drop box under the tractor that has two drives in it, and has an L shaped arm that slides the drives back and forth/ in and out of 4wd. Mine was broke and was able to be welded. The part is no longer available. Regardless, if that's the problem or not, my shift lever has 2 recessed dimples. Theres a dimple for when your in 2wd and when your in 4wd. If you can get some help to see if you have something similar to know if its something internal or not. I would not get too crazy with the rock and wiggle technique !
I have the same dimple on mine. It clicks in and out of the two spots there. There's a square hole in the bottom. Is that where your arm was?

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Hello. Still trying to get to the bottom of my 4x4 issue. I have found out that I have water in my transmission oil so I've drained it and will put fresh oil in over the weekend. I found a machined hole in the side of the transmission, left side near the floor. It has a hole about the size of a nickel with two threaded holes each side. Looks like 1/4" NC but may be metric. I've attached a picture. Does anyone know what goes there and does anyone have a picture they can share of theirs? Note, there is no loader on the tractor so it's not for oil feedback. Ideas?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If it's like the B7100, that looks like a hole for a shifter fork shaft.
but there is several that aren't used, and they are plugged on the inside.
Are you sure the hole is open all the way?
Give us a wider shot, it'll help determine its location.

Attachments

Rascal

Jan 10, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
If it's like the B7100, that looks like a hole for a shifter fork shaft.
but there is several that aren't used, and they are plugged on the inside.
Are you sure the hole is open all the way?
Give us a wider shot, it'll help determine its location.
Thank you. I can't get a better shot of the hole because the fender is too close. Ill try though. I did hold the camera and try to get a shot inside. It's poor. Looks like a spring.

What does the lever in this picture do?

Last edited: