Anyone here own a boat, or know a lot about boats?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
So, so true.
There are YouTube channels dedicated to covering all of the crazy stuff that happens at boat launches. One particular channel I watch occasionally is at Haulover Inlet in Florida. Amazing boats, some amazing women, and utter craziness getting in and out of that inlet.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Spare prop and composite prop wrench (and waterproof grease for prop)
Can you tell me if my thinking is skewed on this. The boat I bought has a very nice stainless steel propeller that appears to be in perfect condition. These propellers cost $700 to $900 it seems. Since the idea of having a spare propeller is to get the boat back to shore if something catastrophic happens, does it make sense to buy an aluminum propeller as a back up? Aluminum propellers are in the $220 price range.

If I were to damage the expensive propeller and get back to shore with a cheap one, I'd end up having to buy a new expensive propeller and would still need a spare. It makes sense to me to have something cheap as the spare. Does that make sense?

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Yes, cheap spare is the way to go. If you prefer storing extra $$, just tape a few hundred dollar bills to the spare when you tuck it away. Personally, I don't carry a spare at all. If you check it before each outing, the chances of it falling off is pert near zero. Hitting a submerged log or such is much more likely and will damage the prop but very unlikely remove it. You can limp home (idle) with a damaged prop without hurting anything. If you hit something hard enough to knock the prop off, the spare will most likely not go back on anyway, you've got bigger problems.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
yes, cheap spare. they make some that are actually composite. Only necessary if:

1) you run offshore (or very large lake)
2) you like to switch props based on usage (speed vs pulling)
3) you're a bubblehead and like to run aground (skeg usually takes the brunt of it)
4) yes, you can likely limp home on a mangled prop however, your day at the lake is over.

I had an extra alum 3 blade (also very light weight) that I carried on board (with a complete hub kit). The SS high-five prop I had covered both speed and pulling...easily.

Edit: I too have found myself watching that haul over channel on youtube (especially in winter months). Those guys are friggin nutz.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
@Freeheeler & @dirtydeed, thanks very much. I've learned a lot from this thread and really appreciate all of the information. (y)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
observe others. It's proven to be some of the best "free" entertainment I have ever seen. Enjoy. ;)

The only reason I ever go to the lake on any holiday weekend, is to watch the inexperienced try to make things happen. And of course watching the sheriff arrest and/or ticket the drunks and there are so many of those that there's not enough deputies to handle them all. Hence the reason you won't find me on the water on holiday weekends, period. I don't appreciate them while on the water. Not at all and there is no place I can go on that lake to get away from em. I can tie up to a barely submerged tree in an area where there are thousands more trees lurking just below the surface (and a bunch above as well) and it never fails some moron will try to water ski back there, or a wakeboard boat will halfheartedly try to ride the wake back there. A few years ago a jet ski came through there at about 60mph and hit one of those trees and capsized. Threw the operator about a hundred yards, he got hurt pretty good on that deal. I had to motor over there and assist righting the ski so he could get back to the ramp and go to the hospital. Left arm was definitely broken.

It is holiday weekends when you see a TON of idiots all in one place.

Look up "credit card captain"....and enjoy the show.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I picked up the boat this afternoon. The old F250 had no trouble pulling the load 65 miles back home. I should be able to get to the 300 hour engine service this long weekend. The rest of the order I placed will be here mid next week so I'm thinking a maiden voyage is less than 10 days away!

17.jpg

18.jpg
(y)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I picked up the boat this afternoon. The old F250 had no trouble pulling the load 65 miles back home. I should be able to get to the 300 hour engine service this long weekend. The rest of the order I placed will be here mid next week so I'm thinking a maiden voyage is less than 10 days away!

View attachment 103474

View attachment 103475 (y)
You really need to get a shop / storage shed built!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You really need to get a shop / storage shed built!
Tell me about it. I've started on a 30'x25' and once that's done I'll make something bigger. I certainly feel the pressure.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Will work, trade for guns! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
This morning I measured the height of the boat on the trailer and it's around 11ft. Looks like I'll be needing a 12' tall roll up door at some point. I found a brand new 10'x10' roll up door on Craigslist last year but that's slated for the 30'x25' shed.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Beautiful Robalo!

regarding spare prop, I would not bother. Spending $100 for SeaTow and/or BoatUS tow insurance per year is a lot safer and more effective.

The chances of successfully changing a prop while the boat is in the water are slim. Plus you will need a prop wrench with already tight storage space on a boat that small. If you drop any tool, or the thrust washer you are SOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
regarding spare prop, I would not bother. Spending $100 for SeaTow and/or BoatUS tow insurance per year is a lot safer and more effective.
I'm pretty sure that's not an option up here, your best bet is someone nice a friendly comes along and tow's you in.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
they have coverage for lakes, dont know specific geographic details, ymmv

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
IMO, I did carry a used prop I purchased from the dealer that sold me the boat. I also had a prop puller, extra cotter pins, spare washer and spare prop nuts (I had a V-drive inboard). My reasoning was if I am a long way from home and spending several days camping, why let a dinged prop ruin the entire weekend.

Also props do come off without hitting anything. I served in the Coast Guard at a few search and rescue stations and have towed in several boats that lost propellers.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
even if you spin the hub you should still be able to limp home, by design. Props normally dont just fall off (not saying it doesnt happen though, ive even heard of it locally as well)... that being said, im more interested in carrying an extra fuel water separator, extra fuel filter, strap wrench, fuses, some extra oil, ect... where there is a fairly good chance of something like contaminated fuel ect.

prop is pretty far down the list, just isnt worth sacrificing the storage room, the personal risk, for the very slim probability of occurrence. To cover all bases, add 5 feet and second engine : )

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

Also props do come off without hitting anything. I served in the Coast Guard at a few search and rescue stations and have towed in several boats that lost propellers.
That's likely from human error. I've had carb problems, fuel pump problems, ECU and injector problems. Electronics, electrical, and water in the fuel....99 problems but a prop ain't one.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

View attachment 103474

View attachment 103475 (y)
Beautiful Robalo!

The chances of successfully changing a prop while the boat is in the water are slim. Plus you will need a prop wrench with already tight storage space on a boat that small. If you drop any tool, or the thrust washer you are SOL.

I have had to untangle ropes from lobster pots offshore (from this boat) and it's downright hazardous, wasnt even that rough out. Additionally, if the water temp is less than 65° going to add more complications.

Have AirChair, will travel................for a "pull" !! :ROFLMAO:
Retirement Air Chair.JPG

Not ready to trade it in for a rocking chair anytime soon!!
David

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
My reasoning was if I am a long way from home and spending several days camping, why let a dinged prop ruin the entire weekend.
That was precisely my point. If you're a day-laker, then don't carry a spare.

One additional prop item I would add...is a decent prop lock if you over-night somewhere. SS props ain't cheap.