Anyone here own a boat, or know a lot about boats?

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
I carry a spare and it has saved my hind parts. I often run the shallow bars down in coastal Carolina and found a section of rope at about 40mph that destroyed the hub on my SS prop. I climbed off the swim platform, put the aluminum spare on and proceeded the 12 miles back to the house we had rented. It left me in control of the situation. I have Boat US towing but a 15 minute fix vs waiting hrs for someone to find us and tow me back in was definitely the least favorable option. Small cost for options and peace of mind.
IMG_0025.JPG

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
were you standing or swimming while swapping this out?
Looking at the outboard on my boat, I don't see any way of changing the prop without getting wet if the boat is in the water. Maybe I could turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and hope that the prop is close enough to the ladder to help, but I see lots of opportunities to drop parts and tools. I suppose it'd be doable, but I doubt that it'd be easy.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I meant @Outnumbered, if he was standing on the bottom of the shallow area he mentioned.
I realize that, but your comments got me thinking about the practicality of changing the prop in the middle of a lake.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
i totally agree, swimming, i dont know how unless maybe perfectly still conditions. maybe a OTT test run is in order mcm 😁

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
i totally agree, swimming, i dont know how unless maybe perfectly still conditions. maybe a OTT test run is in order mcm 😁
I was a commercial diver/welder in a previous life and EVERYTHING is 10x harder underwater. :ROFLMAO: It's hard to apply torque to a fastener underwater unless you can wedge yourself up against something ... Newton's 3rd Law of Motion and all that.

Outnumbered

Equipment
Kubota L3901, FEL, BB1260, RCF2060, FDR2572, Titan Forks, Caryall, 5' Tiller
Oct 26, 2019
Moseley, VA
were you standing or swimming while swapping this out?
Hah, kind of a precarious position standing on the ladder (3 rungs down from the top) of my swim platform and hugging the lower unit of my motor which was turned hard towards the platform for access. I was drifting in about 8 ft of water when it I had to change it. Fortunately, it was 90 degrees and a water temp well into the 70's. The worst part was cutting the ball of 1/2' rope from around the prop. I always carry sharp knives!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I was a commercial diver/welder in a previous life and EVERYTHING is 10x harder underwater. :ROFLMAO: It's hard to apply torque to a fastener underwater unless you can wedge yourself up against something ... Newton's 3rd Law of Motion and all that.
This 👆 +1

I stopped carrying a spare prop years ago.

It would only be "maybe possible" for me to change a prop on an inland lake, where I would need it the least, unless I brought my dive gear.

Where I fish, the surface temp today is a balmy 49 degrees, so I would probably have 4 or 5 minutes before hypothermia sets in.

I suppose that if it was a flat calm day, in mid July, on Lake Huron it would be possible....but I doubt I could do it.

A kicker motor was my solution which serves as a back up motor/prop and it used for fishing, and I have Boat US towing if all else fails.

IMG-20211115-WA0001[1].jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This 👆 +1

It would only be "maybe possible" for me to change a prop on an inland lake, where I would need it the least, unless I brought my dive gear.

Where I fish, the surface temp today is a balmy 49 degrees, so I would probably have 4 or 5 minutes before hypothermia sets in.

I suppose that if it was a flat calm day, in mid July, on Lake Huron it would be possible....but I doubt I could do it.

A kicker motor was my solution which serves as a back up motor/prop and it used for fishing, and I have Boat US towing if all else fails.

View attachment 103881
Nice boat! (y) Something along the lines of a small backup motor might be in my future at some point. I'm not going to do much this year other than get the boat kitted out with the essentials. I'll only be using it on inland lakes in MT, ID and WA this season so it's not like I'll be adrift on the ocean at any point. For the record, I have no intention of ever putting this boat in salt water!

I did receive all the gear that I ordered and will change out the water pump impeller and other water pump related serviceable parts today or tomorrow. I watched a YouTube video where the mechanic used pallet forks to support the lower unit during the service. So I'll get to use the MX while servicing the Yamaha. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
This 👆 +1

View attachment 103881
It's so cute how your son (?) is mimicking you in his stance. Or maybe you're mimicking him! :ROFLMAO:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
It's so cute how your son (?) is mimicking you in his stance. Or maybe you're mimicking him! :ROFLMAO:
Thanks, and your gonna like that boat.

That's my grandson.

I love those Yamaha motors too!!!!!

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I know nothing about boats but the Mrs. is after me to visit daughter in Santa Cruz, CA this summer.

Son in law has an ocean-going boat he fishes with out in Monterey Bay and the ocean. He’s quite a fisherman, and has my daughter fishing a lot too.

Boat looks nice but older. Guessing 25 feet or so???

After reading this, I hope he has a spare prop….. :oops:

Also, lots of Great White Sharks out there….gonna need a bigger boat….🦈🦈🦈

IMG_9860.jpeg

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Also, lots of Great White Sharks out there….gonna need a bigger boat….🦈🦈🦈
we usually start the season off with shark here, always found it to be the most boring...but a fun way to start the season and work out any kinks before the real season kicks off

here he is trying to eat the boat, not happy...

tuna is our jam.

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Cool - son in law fishes for much smaller fare that he can eat. I just don’t want to encounter a shark of any flavor, especially a big shark…..🦈

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
This 👆 +1

View attachment 103881
Love the shades on your "Chief Mechanic"!!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
1) inquire about the condition of the impeller (has it ever been changed?)
I removed the lower unit yesterday afternoon and set about replacing all of the water pump related parts. Everything looks great and the only minor issues I had were the bolt that screws into the anode and the Woodruff key. The threads in the anode look galled so I'll chase them out with a tap, and the Woodruff key was very tight in the keyway in the shaft.

I'm not sure what the powdery substance is on the water pump housing in the first image but it could be residue from some kind of polish used on the boat and engine. The previous owner was kind of fanatical about doing that sort of thing.

As I mentioned, the engine has 248 hours on it and I don't know if the impeller is original or not, but now I have peace of mind and know when it was changed last. From the looks of the internals, this boat was never in salt water.

housing.jpg

impeller_1.jpg

impeller_2.jpg

plate.jpg

housing_liner.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Here's another dumb question for all you boat guys. Are headlights on boats a thing? Yesterday afernoon I turned the battery power on so that I could raise the motor up a bit, and last night I noticed that a marker light was on, the one above the canopy. After playing around for a bit and making sure that everything worked, and it does, I realized that the boat has no headlights. There are some very cool "under counter" blue lights either side of the center console, the standard red and green lights on the bow and the one white light above the center console, but nothing to show the way.

I would think that a set of forward and rearward facing LEDs would be a good idea. What say you?

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Lots of boats have docking lights bow and stern connivance/task lighting. Headlights are most likely a violation of the regulations Coleregs so boat manufacturers don't install them. A nice bright handheld spotlight is what I used to carry onboard if I was going to be on the water after dark.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Lots of boats have docking lights bow and stern connivance/task lighting. Headlights are most likely a violation of the regulations Coleregs so boat manufacturers don't install them. A nice bright handheld spotlight is what I used to carry onboard if I was going to be on the water after dark.
Thanks for the link. I see that the boat's lighting complies with "The International Regulations for the Prevention of Collision at Sea (COLREGS) apply to all vessels upon the high seas and vessels on most waterways, bays, inlets, rivers connected to the sea."

Some limited research reveals that additional lighting is not a violation of any Coast Guard regulations unless it interferes with the navigation lights described in COLREGS. I have a DeWalt spotlight like this model but it's older and has a red light too. I use it regularly so perhaps I'll put that on the boat for now.

Running Lights.jpg