Anyone here own a boat, or know a lot about boats?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Not sure what your vision of the 'South' and its waterways and reservoirs is.

You'll certainly find muddy brown water some places....but also some of the most pristine waters in all of the US.

My home State (Texas) has some of the most beautiful rivers and lakes you'd ever want to see. And we are definitely in the 'South' (and happy for it).
No offense meant ... and I don't really think of Texas as being in "the South". I'm sure that will offend another group but it's not intentional.

I lived in Arkansas for two years and the all of the water was the color of mud. :LOL: I don't know much about the water in Texas but if you're happy with what you have then that's all that matters.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I live in the “Highland Lakes” area of Texas and I can vouch for the clarity of water in San Marcos R., and Lakes Travis, Buchannan, LBJ, Inks, etc.

Here’s a photo taken from the bottom-UP at Aquarina Spings/San Marcos of the Glass-Bottom Boats that provide tours of the very-deep, crystal-clear spring-fed river.

View attachment 102145
Wow! I'll have to look those places up. I had no idea Texas had such clean water.

For the record, many, many Texas folks have moved to Montana ... and I'm talking many!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Been watching too much swamp people 😂
Actually I watch a lot of letsdig18 on YouTube and he's in North Carolina. I haven't seen a clean bit of water yet. :ROFLMAO: I'm sure NC has some beautiful spots for boating but I just haven't seen them.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wow! I'll have to look those places up. I had no idea Texas had such clean water.

For the record, many, many Texas folks have moved to Montana ... and I'm talking many!
They’re trying to escape the Texas invasion of Californicators.

The lakes (man-made) around the Dallas/FtWorth area are all shallow and therefore kept stirred-up and muddy by the monied-big-boat-all-hat-no-cattle shysters up there….which gives Texas and Texas lakes a bad reputation…. Real Texans are friendly, welcoming, and fun-loving, and besides the clear-water/rock-bottom Highland Lakes of Central Texas, if you’d like to see some really good fishing come on down to Sam Rayburn, Toledo-Bend, Three-Rivers, Choke Canyon, and the Gulf Coast, especially from Port Aransas, Corpus Christi, Baffin Bay and down to Padre Island.

PS: if you like whiskey, you’ll appreciate the many distilleries of the fresh-water of central Texas limestone-acquifers.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My lakes deeper than your lake! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

But in all fairness your boats bigger than mine! ;)
Yeah, that Lake Pend Oreille is 1,000 ft deeper or more right? If that ever drains I wonder how many bodies they'll find at the bottom! :unsure:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas

'True' Texans and I imagine many Montanans would have much in common. A good 'blend' if you ask me.

Folks from Commiefornia have been moving to Texas (and other States) in droves the last 6-8 years.

I've met some very nice people from California...wanting only to escape the onerous conditions there and assimilate here in Texas. Each of those are welcome and we are happy to have them.

I have also met some that have moved here solely for financial gain and unfortunately have brought their political views with them....which will only serve to dilute what made our State a attractive place to live.

Austin (where I grew up and went to school) is now the San Francisco of Texas. Very sad to see what it has turned into.

But yes...Texas has no small number of beautiful lakes for boating and recreation and even more rivers and 'swimming holes'.

cw.jpg

dr1.jpg

SMr.jpg

hp.jpeg
clk.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Arizona

We know the feeling! :mad:
I just saw a news piece today that CA has been using Arizona as a dumping ground since 2018 and has dumped close to 750,000 tons of contaminated dirt in Arizona landfills. The state wants to think of itself as leading the country in environmental issues but there's a lot going on beneath the surface.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
'True' Texans and I imagine many Montanans would have much in common. A good 'blend' if you ask me.

Folks from Commiefornia have been moving to Texas (and other States) in droves the last 6-8 years.

I've met some very nice people from California...wanting only to escape the onerous conditions there and assimilate here in Texas. Each of those are welcome and we are happy to have them.

I have also met some that have moved here solely for financial gain and unfortunately have brought their political views with them....which will only serve to dilute what made our State a attractive place to live.

Austin (where I grew up and went to school) is now the San Francisco of Texas. Very sad to see what it has turned into.

But yes...Texas has no small number of beautiful lakes for boating and recreation and even more rivers and 'swimming holes'.

View attachment 102192
View attachment 102193
View attachment 102194
View attachment 102195 View attachment 102196
Wow! Beautiful spots for sure. Thanks for educating me on this and my apologies for any offense my flippant comments caused.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Naw really I do miss my boat, I spent many hours trolling lake Ontario and Eire for salmon and walleye. But there is one thing I have found out about bike and boats,, women always want to take their clothes off when they are on them

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Naw really I do miss my boat, I spent many hours trolling lake Ontario and Eire for salmon and walleye. But there is one thing I have found out about bike and boats,, women always want to take their clothes off when they are on them
I hate it when that happens! :rolleyes:

• Haha

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Used to go on Lake Michigan(Milwaukee & Door County) area when I was a kid, just beautiful and at that time it was not a tourist trap. I was still a kid when we got stuck in a storm with a failed engine. It was 24 foot waves in a 22 foot boat. Luckily had all the tarps with us and a great sump pump. Was able to land/crash on a beach and called a tow truck to load the boat. Got the engine fixed and sold it. Apparently scared the parents more than me(I thought it was a great roller coaster type ride). Just remember the 2 greatest days of a boat. The day you buy it and the day you sell it. Now I am 50 miles from the state of 10K lakes(Minnesota) and have a great trout stream(I don't fish but always people down there) that is 5 feet from the mail box(so want to throw any political mail right in the creek). Did dig this out of the pole shed(first time in daylight for 22 years). Grandpa bought it new in about 1970.
20220719_135032[1].jpg

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Skeets, you're always wining about boats. Last time you were all upset 'cause all your guns fell overboard! :(

• Haha

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
a lot of texans don't consider dallas part of texas-from what I'm told, by a texican. some of the worst trout fishing, is in arkansas in those muddy waters.

i know a place. Water is about 40 foot deep and when the sun is right overhead you can see the rocky bottom clear as day. Arkansas has some beautiful waters you just have to know where. Lake Conway isn't one of them although it's very popular for anglers. Even in the mud. I used to live there--caught many a snakehead. And snakes, turtles, mosquitoes, caught a duck once on a rod/reel. They introduced a few gators in there too to control the population of beavers and nutria. They multiplied and every year a few people spot them and get skeer't. I've run up on them before and they don't hurt nothing; just stare at you and then head back to the depths of the mud. One was about 11' long. My boat is 12' and that old gator was within a foot's length of the boat.