Anyone here own a boat, or know a lot about boats?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I've never owned a yamaha OB so, I don't know how easy they are to do...my experience has been only with mercury outboards and sterndrives.

while we're at it, does your boat come with all the required C.G. gear? a spare prop, and prop wrench are also good things to have on board with the necessary "safety" gear.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
while we're at it, does your boat come with all the required C.G. gear? a spare prop, and prop wrench are also good things to have on board with the necessary "safety" gear.
There's a fire extinguisher on board, but no life jackets, no throw-able life preservers (unless seat cushions count), no signaling device, no lines, and no fenders. A spare prop and prop wrench is an interesting point.

The prop is a very nice stainless steel model which is an upgrade over the standard aluminum version. The woman I've been dealing with told me that they swap out stainless props for aluminum props on their rental boats since there's less chance of damaging the drive in the motor if the blades shear hitting a solid object, which is more likely with aluminum.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I ordered hard copies of the factory service manual and owner's manual for the F150XB outboard, a Yamaha (factory) water pump repair kit shown below for $58, and a tube of Yamaha marine grease to put me over the minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping. I also used a $15 first time order discount so all in all, money well spent.

Early in the new year I'll most likely order the 300 hour service kit, or least put it together minus the water pump repair kit shown. I don't know the details or service history of the outboard, so for peace of mind I'd rather go through it and know that it's good. There have been some comments about using Yamalube oils and I hadn't appreciated how good that advice is. Outboards run at much higher rpm than most automotive engines so the old Mobile 1 or similar might not be as good a choice. :oops: Lots to learn for sure.

61a-w0078-a3-00.jpg

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I ordered hard copies of the factory service manual and owner's manual for the F150XB outboard, a Yamaha (factory) water pump repair kit shown below for $58, and a tube of Yamaha marine grease to put me over the minimum order amount to qualify for free shipping. I also used a $15 first time order discount so all in all, money well spent.

Early in the new year I'll most likely order the 300 hour service kit, or least put it together minus the water pump repair kit shown. I don't know the details or service history of the outboard, so for peace of mind I'd rather go through it and know that it's good. There have been some comments about using Yamalube oils and I hadn't appreciated how good that advice is. Outboards run at much higher rpm than most automotive engines so the old Mobile 1 or similar might not be as good a choice. :oops: Lots to learn for sure.

View attachment 93226
How about an update on this thread..?? I’m hoping to read all about it …and that dropping that lower unit to replace the impeller and getting the drive and shift-splined-shafts went Easy for you…??

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
How about an update on this thread..?? I’m hoping to read all about it …and that dropping that lower unit to replace the impeller and getting the drive and shift-splined-shafts went Easy for you…??
The only update on this thread is that a few months ago I ordered everything needed for the 300 hour service (oil for engine and lower unit, oil/fuel filters, thermostat, gaskets, etc.) but the boat is still in storage. I was going to pick it up this week, but a last minute work-related trip out of state next week set that plan back a bit.

I also need to pick up some items so that I'm in compliance with state and Federal law:

Items Required by Montana or Federal Law

• Wearable Life Jackets
  • Throwable PFD
  • Fire Extinguisher(s) (motorboats)
  • Backfire Flame Arrester (motorboats)
  • Ventilation System (motorboats)
  • Whistle or Horn
  • Navigational Lights
  • Registration Document
  • Boat Number, Permanent Decal and Validation Decals

I have the items shown in green, I don't need to worry about the items shown in black, and I need to pick up the items shown in red.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Happiest day in my life was seeing the tail lights of the trailer with the boat on it go down the road!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Sdatrucking

Equipment
B7100.
Aug 26, 2022
Tagalong3746
You know what b.o.a.t. Stands for Break Out Another Thousand maintenance can get costly owned many in my time best I ever owned was an old 16 ft fiberglass Larson only thing ever done was battery and plugs and fuel filter and 1 small fiberglass patch rocks are hard on em

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
BOAT: noun,,,,,, A hole in the water into which one throws money

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Me included, I think we covered most of the ground about boat ownership and costs late last year in mcmxi’s thread.

He owns it now. Hell, I’d like to at least like to see it on the water once before I chastise him further…. ;)

Looked like a nice boat.

I still think @dirtydeed had some great “decoration” on his though. Dirty - hope you didn’t send Mrs. Dirty away with the vessel as well?!?! :oops:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
i realize that many former-boat owners love re-telling the day they bought/sold their mistakes….but as for ME… I”ve NEVER regretted my boat ownership…EXCEPT the days I couldn’t go boating for some reason or other.

Like tractors, cars, trucks, and wives….they ALL require regular attention. If you do Your Part…they’ll do theirs. My boats were/are in great condition and I keep them that way…. So I was always Happy to Have them and enjoy them….No regrets here.

Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Invasive species sticker???
We have those here!
It looks like it's not needed in Montana since I'm a resident and the boat is registered here. I got a fishing license for 2023 and it includes a $2 fee for Aquatic Invasion Species Prevention. I'll have to check on what's required when I head to ID and WA. Thanks for bringing this up. (y)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
i realize that many former-boat owners love re-telling the day they bought/sold their mistakes….but as for ME… I”ve NEVER regretted my boat ownership…EXCEPT the days I couldn’t go boating for some reason or other.

Like tractors, cars, trucks, and wives….they ALL require regular attention. If you do Your Part…they’ll do theirs. My boats were/are in great condition and I keep them that way…. So I was always Happy to Have them and enjoy them….No regrets here.
Well said! (y) Everyone's ownership of anything, particularly boats, is unique to them so I don't pay any attention to the "best day was when I sold it" comments. If you've ever cruised around the lakes during our low humidity summers, or tied up to a dock to eat dinner at a nice restaurant on a lovely summer evening, or tied up the boat and stopped for breakfast in Bigfork, or looked down in 15ft of water and seen the bottom (a lot deeper in the mountain lakes) you'd understand the appeal of a boat up here.

This is me fishing with a friend a couple of summers ago at Glacier Lake. I had a couple of Irish Death's in an ice pack in my pack and it sure was nice after close to 14 miles of hiking. Notice the water and how clear it is. This ain't the South!!

39350.jpeg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I was just looking through some photos that I took one evening on Flathead Lake when some friends invited us out for dinner and a boat cruise. Yeah, I'm going to hate having a nice boat on the lake this summer. :ROFLMAO:

flathead_1.jpg

flathead_2.jpg

flathead_3.jpg

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
And then there's this .... July 4th, 2020 on Flathead Lake on the pontoon boat that I mentioned early on in the thread. There's still some snow on the mountains.

Yeah, boats suck! :ROFLMAO::giggle:

flathead_1.jpg

flathead_2.jpg

flathead_3.jpg

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My last boat was a 16' Lund , three down riggers , 50 HP Evinrude.
Then I started working alot. So I sold it.
But spent many hrs catching salmon, brook trout and lakers. Lots of good memories and more sunrises on the water then I can remember. Fishing with my dad are memories I'll cherish forever.
But the road of life has many turns. Once I retire I'll be beating the water with a fly again.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
. Notice the water and how clear it is. This ain't the South!
Not sure what your vision of the 'South' and its waterways and reservoirs is.

You'll certainly find muddy brown water some places....but also some of the most pristine waters in all of the US.

My home State (Texas) has some of the most beautiful rivers and lakes you'd ever want to see. And we are definitely in the 'South' (and happy for it).

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Not sure what your vision of the 'South' and its waterways and reservoirs is.

You'll certainly find muddy brown water some places....but also some of the most pristine waters in all of the US.

My home State (Texas) has some of the most beautiful rivers and lakes you'd ever want to see. And we are definitely in the 'South' (and happy for it).
Been watching too much swamp people 😂

• Haha

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I live in the “Highland Lakes” area of Texas and I can vouch for the clarity of water in San Marcos R., and Lakes Travis, Buchannan, LBJ, Inks, etc.

Here’s a photo taken from the bottom-UP at Aquarina Spings/San Marcos of the Glass-Bottom Boats that provide tours of the very-deep, crystal-clear spring-fed river.

IMG_1915.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users