Electric Car in your future?

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
Why do you feel it is much cheaper to operate? How much has your electric bill increased and did you put in a dedicated charging circuit?
No oil changes to deal with, brakes will last longer with one pedal driving.
I did put in a dedicated charging 240 V station. I'm still trying to figure out the increase in electric bill due to the electric car.
Theoretically it should only be $35/month.

tradosaurus

Equipment
Kubota MX5400 HST, Land Pride RCR2660 , EA 60" Xtreme grapple, EA box blade
Mar 7, 2019
Texarkana, Tx, USA
Turning 82 this month, thankfully there ain't no way I'm EVER going to have ANYTHING to do with lectric cars, cept maybe seeing one stopped on the side of the road.
Your choice and your animosity toward the EV can only come from your inexperience with them. I don't have an EV to save the environment. I have it for the convenience.
EV's are like bidet's; once you have one you won't understand why didn't get one much sooner. ;)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I'm still trying to figure out the increase in electric bill due to the electric car.

You can access the battery's recharging unit to get the figures to determine your electric costs. There's a 'database' of every recharging..date/time/volts/amps/etc. There's also one in the actual battery 'computer'.
Once you have the numbers... kwh and time,simply multiply by your invoice amount/kWh 'rate' to get true cost. That way it includes all those nasty addons like line loss, storage fees, and taxes.

Code

Equipment
l3301, fel, lp boxblade, 12" lp auger, lp bush hog, z421 zt, lawnvac leaf vac
Dec 19, 2020
Central, Va
I wont until i can have a truck that can haul 4000lbs+ the same distance as a full size can now. our big issue is we travels mountains everywhere we go. not ideal for electric

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Your choice and your animosity toward the EV can only come from your inexperience with them. I don't have an EV to save the environment. I have it for the convenience.
EV's are like bidet's; once you have one you won't understand why didn't get one much sooner. ;)
Interesting analogy.
I am 82 years old, and have never had a desire for a bidet.
Still don't, ........and never will!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
California want 1 BILLION Federal Taxpayer bucks to restart one of THEIR nukes ! it seems their solar and wind gennys can't meet current demands let alone the terrawatts needed for THEIR new EVs........

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
you grind off the asphalt
lay down the induction coil + vehicle sensor
trench to nearest building with power
install charger/control box
connect and test
repave the roadway

doing a city block is easy and fast
doing ONE spot is just slower but not that hard....

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I did put in a dedicated charging 240 V station. I'm still trying to figure out the increase in electric bill due to the electric car.
They still need oil changes. They all have a gear box.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
That's easy. If you have an electric car and drive mostly on the highway you use 1kwh ever 3 to 4 miles of driving.
If you drive in the city mostly you are likely getting 4 to 6 miles per kwh.

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
They still need oil changes. They all have a gear box.
I think you know what he meant - no engine oil to replace at typical 5k intervals. Transmissions, axles (meant to say differentials), brake systems all still need to be serviced though - you are correct in that regard - but I am sure you are aware that these service schedules are significantly greater than 5k miles.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I think you know what he meant - no engine oil to replace at typical 5k intervals. Transmissions, axles, brake systems all still need to be serviced though - you are correct in that regard - but I am sure you are aware that these service schedules are significantly greater than 5k miles.
Yeah its more like 30 to 50 thousand miles.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I am wondering when the EVs will start to come with fire suppression systems as standard equipment. Considering the time that it takes to get an EV electrical fire under control, at what point are fire departments going to start back-charging the manufacturers for the expenses involved?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They do if it is convenient, but where it presents a danger to other structures or vehicles, they have no choice but to put them out or attempt to put the fire out. If it is close to an airport, they will call in the foam machine to smother the blaze.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
We have a leaf they catch on fire less than any other Nissan.
It appears that gasoline vehicles are much more likely to catch on fire than an electric car.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
gas fires are easy,simple and QUICK to get out, burning batteries is a hard, difficult and slow......
You can easily pour 20,000 gallons of fresh drinking water at a Tesla and it'll still keep burning ( as seen on youtube....)
Only a matter of time before you won't be able to park an EV in an attached garage, in underground parking or say within 50' of a building or other cars. Hopefully car insurance for them will increase to cover cleanup costs,etc.

Can you imagine the traffic jam on a busy highway when one decide to self ignite,locks doors, people can't get out ??

Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
not going to post pics but last week my friend who lives on the battered SW florida coast sent me a vid of several golf cars in big flames. Saltwater gets into the connections, they corrode, and away they went. Remember that area was under 20 feet of water for a little bit.

I know people call bull malarky on that, but it's true

one thing (of many) that folks don't understand is runaway amperage dump. Li-Ion and LIFePo batteries have a BMU, or battery management unit. The bmu is supposed to control the runaway amperage. Li-based batteries can make a TON of amperage, and the wiring can't handle it, so up in flames it goes. When they do go up in flames it's usually a failure of the bmu, in the case of those golf cars, corrosion within the "sealed" bmu caused the failure. I have seen this and it is real. And real scary.

My coworker is part time, but full time firefighter. Captain actually but whatever. They are currently training for EV fire suppression and the way he explained to me is that it takes up to 20 min for a truck to show up, and it takes a lot of suppression (more than the truck can handle) to get the fire out. Thus, the fire trucks are all gonna have to be upgraded at some point as ev's become more prevalent. Crashes are GOING to happen and there is no guarantee that these things are 100% safe from fire, same as gas cars aren't although we've had over 100 years to 'perfect' those, yet we have at most 10 years to 'perfect' lithium-based battery powered cars. They're already shoving it down our throats and a few people are buying them.

My other boss owns a car dealer. A while back he hollered at me and said jump in the truck we gotta go get a car (traded in, at customer's house). It was a 21 Tesla S. I drove it home. It's way overrated. The big screen is really distracting. It's quick and it's fast. Here's the deal though. The owner traded it in on a Ford Explorer ST I believe it was. I asked why, he said he bought the tesla to go back & forth to his kid's school, about 200 miles one way from where they live. They advertised that the tesla could do it without issue, BUT real world, it won't. He's got to stop and charge about 3/4 of the way there and charging stations are nonexistent. On that stretch of highway (and it's all freeway, 75mph max) there are 2 stations. One at 55 mi from here and the other about 109 as I remember. You pay for both of them and the KwH charge is about 200% higher than it is residential. I asked why it won't make it all the way, owner said that it's hilly. Hills cause more load. More load causes more drain on the battery. Marketing. They're gonna say "it'll go 300 miles on a charge" (or whatever they say) but what they don't say is that 300 miles is under ideal conditions which are somewhat rare. Some guys say they can get that and then some. Good for you. Not everyone can, because everyone's conditions are different and maybe they're hauling around 4 kids and 2 adults and tools or whatever in the trunks. Or groceries. Who knows. Loading causes more juice to be used just like a gas car but gas stations are everywhere; charging stations are not. Yet. Power companies can't handle high demand already so that means an upgrade is gonna have to happen which is going to cost EVERYONE not just EV owners. Y'all ready for that? And lastly, since gas cars pay for the roads that they tear up by fuel tax, an ev don't pay for gas thus no gas tax paid, and they're tearing up roads just as much if not more (because they weigh more-a lot more), the gov't is hitting them in different ways. Here, it's $200 to renew your tags every year plus I think they're also taxing them higher at the personal property level. On a gas car you pay what, $0.22/gal tax? And you can stretch that out over time. You pay more but not all at once. On EV, to renew your tags, you pay $200 plus renewal ($55 or whatever) and since EV's weigh more, they also have to pay more because of the vehicle weight as the state charges differently per vehicle weight. My little 93 Mustang costs $17.50 to renew tags every year. The truck, which weighs 3x (plus) more, $55.50. Just an example. Big changes coming and I hope y'all are ready for it.

some say ev is cheaper and if you put the pen to the paper and figure everything in, it's really not. Just because you ain't paying for gas or gas tax doesn't mean you're not getting hit somewhere else. Boss and I talked about this in depth a while back and the figures add up perfectly. EV does in fact cost more.

less maintenance? Maybe a LITTLE less. You ain't changing oil but there's other things. Tires won't last as long (weight), there is coolant to change periodically, there is transaxle fluid(s), etc etc. Just because you ain't got no engine don't mean there ain't no maintenance. It's just a different kind of maintenance.

and tesla? If your tesla is under warranty I understand (from the boss) that ONLY tesla can work on it. Once out of warranty, the local service center washes their hands of it and they don't ever want to see it again even if YOU (the owner) are willing to pay for repairs. So you're hung out to dry. He may be a little off on that and he admits to that but it's his impression from the tsla service center down the road. Tesla is a technology company that just happens to build cars, and from what I am hearing from the owners around this area, they're not happy about spending a LOT of money and then getting a product that is not quite up to car-manufacturing standards. But hey it's got cool tech.

There are so many challenges facing this whole ev thing that I ain't sure they can be resolved by the time the illustrious government wants them fully implemented.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Saw an article about a local very small school district getting 3 electric school buses.

The Village the school district is in has a municipal electric system.

Village will need to upgrade transformers and other components to accommodate charging 3 buses.

Also, the village’s system/supply contracts do not have freeboard to accommodate the new load.

All users of the system may end up paying for system improvements to implement “cost saving” measures….