Open faced tractor shed project

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
dang ONLY $160 for the building permit ! That'd just cover the 13% TAXES I'd have to pay for the permit up here.
I got around that by building 9by12 sheds ( max without permit,plans, engstamp, etc...)

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
dang ONLY $160 for the building permit ! That'd just cover the 13% TAXES I'd have to pay for the permit up here.
I got around that by building 9by12 sheds ( max without permit,plans, engstamp, etc...)
Wow! What part of the country do you hail from?
Actually a bit of story as to the 160. I am not very happy about it but understand the reasoning.
My county's permit fee for what they call a accessory building the size of what I am putting up is $125. Because I have no other structure suitable for living they require I sign a affidavit that says I will not sleep, cook, or other activities considered living in this building. Even sleeping for a weekend is not allowed. The affidavit is then notarized and recorded along with my deed.
The additional expense is for the recording of this affidavit.
I know that the reason for this is to keep all of our properties values stable. The zoning office person told me I would be surprised how many people put up a building like mine and before you know it a family is living full time in the building.

On the plus side my permit was approved this morning which seemed pretty quick considering I was at the courthouse on Monday.

And a quick picture that represents a sizable portion of my retirement savings, considering the price of lumber! LOLOL
DSC00479.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
110 sq ft is our max before a permit as well. I thought about building 2 adjacent structures that were 1’ apart. Contractor buddy said I’d be pushing my luck if the Township ever stopped by. But at the same time. I’m on a first name basis with the manager lol

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ken, you'll have a nice building when done. I got a question, if you were out there working and your vehicle wouldn't start, say it's late in the evening. Would you have to call your county commissioner to get approval to stay there that night? :)

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken, you'll have a nice building when done. I got a question, if you were out there working and your vehicle wouldn't start, say it's late in the evening. Would you have to call your county commissioner to get approval to stay there that night? :)
I know right? Sometimes I wish I had a lawyer in the family and deep pockets to fight things like this. Personally I wonder if this rule crosses the line into abuse of power! But heh, what do I know.

Last edited:

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
110 sq ft is our max before a permit as well. I thought about building 2 adjacent structures that were 1’ apart. Contractor buddy said I’d be pushing my luck if the Township ever stopped by. But at the same time. I’m on a first name basis with the manager lol
Young and single, I bought my first house in town with a cobbled together detached 2 stall garage made from 2 single garages. Flat roof on one, gable on the other half. I wanted a workshop on one end so went to get a permit to add on. The plan was also to tear off the existing roof and put a new gabled roof and siding over everything to clean up its appearance. The building limit at the time was 1000 sq. ft. for a detached garage with no exceptions. My addition would make the total sq footage add up to 1096 sq ft. Asked how they measured the 1000 sq ft, I was told the total enclosed area could not exceed that footage.

I modified my plan by showing a new OH door header moved 8 ft back with a 96 sq ft roofed overhang in front of the one stall. :LOL: That plan was accepted. I had the new header in place for a while just in case the inspector came around but the OH door on that side was never moved back. Eventually, the unused door header found a new location somewhere else and my neighbors were very happy with the cleaned up new look.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I wish that I was closer and you could have saved a hunk on your lumber and timbers.
I appreciate the thought! Its all good, just picked the wrong time to be building but the benefits of having my equipment undercover will be worth it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Ken, good to see it's going to be up soon. Your positive attitude is uplifting, knowing you have some physical challenges and just keep on going and don't bring up the "poor ole me" attitude.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Ken, good to see it's going to be up soon. Your positive attitude is uplifting, knowing you have some physical challenges and just keep on going and don't bring up the "poor ole me" attitude.
Thank you for those kind words!
44 years ago I decided that life had too much to offer to sit around and feel sorry for myself and the cards I dealt, (yes, dropping a vehicle on me, was my fault), I feel I have had ,so far, an exciting, interesting and worthwhile life.

This latest endeavor of restoring a terribly abused parcel of land, 56 acres of fallow Christmas tree plantation, back to more of a natural Oak/savanna has been very challenging for me but also so far has been very rewarding.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
When you posted about your tractor seat, and how to adapt it..... I think about that once in a while when I'm doing something and try to imagine overcoming the challenge. And I think of the material you will put in you building and how those narrow wheels can get around without sinking into the material. It requires, I'm sure, a whole new dimension in life. You seem to adapt to it well.

I have a friend who I've know for YEARS and he complains about everything every time I talk to him. He tells me of the weather changing because of his aches, his trip to the chiropractor, his cattle won't load into the trailer, and on and on. I sometimes tell him I have another call I need to get just to get off the phone!

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Popped in at the land quick yesterday and discovered the builder has set the posts. Not sure how fast things will progress from this point on. I think he mentioned early last week the trusses take a few weeks to be built and delivered.

Side note; I am picking up 1200 seedlings, 600 white spruce and 600 white pine, for a friend of mine that has land near the Wisconsin Dells this morning.
His tree planter guy will be meeting me about 9:30 am, should be interesting to watch them get planted.

DSC00492.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
this is awesome Ken, moving right along! great to see

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Turned out to be a wonderful day for a road trip and watching trees being planted.
I did find out that 1200 pine trees 100 per bundle fit in my older Jeep Cherokee with not much room to spare! :)
The tree planter fellows used a Kubota L4400 to pull the planter with the operation going very smoothly. I headed back home before the planting was completed.
I did swing by the tractor shed build on the way back home and was pleased to see more progress. My plan was that if the builder had been on site today I was going to get out of my Jeep with a level and check his work! lol. That plan was dashed as I picked up a blackberry thorn in one of my wheelchair tires at Petes land helping laying out end row markers, which left me with a flat.
All in all it was a great day, fresh air, catching up with my buddy and his land projects and watching the planting process.
DSC00508.JPG
DSC00507.JPG
DSC00511.JPG
DSC00518.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't get excited seeing houses being built but there's something really satisfying seeing pole barns, shops and garages going up. Looking forward to seeing how this shed turns out.

Reactions: 1 users

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I don't get excited seeing houses being built but there's something really satisfying seeing pole barns, shops and garages going up. Looking forward to seeing how this shed turns out.
Thanks for following along!
Not much to report except touched bases with the builder. As I thought he is in a holding pattern waiting on the trusses. The lumber company he is dealing with told him 2 to 3 week wait after locking in the prices. Coming up on week 3 monday.

ken erickson

Equipment
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
The trusses were delivered Thursday afternoon. Yesterday the builder finished the framing except for some minor details. Running some carriage bolts and adding some diagonal bracing in the trusses if I understood correctly. Today I picked out colors. He mentioned that the steel should arrive in 7 to 10 days. I must say this builder does not waste a lot of time if he has materials in front of him. :)
So far I am very pleased with the construction and my vision of what this would look like when completed.

A generic question for folks that have experience with this type construction . Does the steel add any structural integrity to the building or are all loads, wind or otherwise carried by the framing?
DSC0E0554.JPG

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A generic question for folks that have experience with this type construction . Does the steel add any structural integrity to the building or are all loads, wind or otherwise carried by the framing?
Looking good! I'm not a structural engineer but intuitively I would say that the steel panels provide very little in the way of structural integrity since they're so thin and can buckle easily. I would expect the panels to help in any loading that results in tension within the panel but I can't think of a typical situation where that would apply. There are arrows on sheets of OSB indicating proper orientation in order to provide structural support in the vertical direction but they're much thicker and can resist buckling.