Losing interest in R14 tires...

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
:cry:

I have R4 tires on my B2910 and in mud they fill up and basically become slicks. I thought the R14 would be a great compromise.

Then I watched a Messicks video featuring R14 tires. And it looks like there is a lot less meat there than R4s, to the extent that my impression was they would wear out quicker than R1 tires (even if wear is not really a concern for the most part, not running on pavement).

So now I am thinking if I were to buy a new L2501 I would probably go with R4 tires. The 15" width might perform better than the 12.4" width R4 tires on my B2910 I suppose. And they just look more robust than the R14s...

Am I misguided in thinking this way?

Raymo853

Equipment
LX2610SU
Jun 26, 2019
Dorset, VA
I am hoping for something like a R114. Basically an R14 with taller knobs and a more open tread design but not as large and open as a R1.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Get R1 radials and be done with it.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Get R1 radials and be done with it.
I had originally thought R1 would be my choice, if I were to buy the new tractor. But then I like the idea of a wider tire, as there is more rubber and the price does not change. I think the R1s are about 12 inches wide, and the R4s and R14s are 15 inches wide.

On top of that, I thought about how much mud I really have to deal with, and it is not that much really (with hills, the water does not collect for long, except where springs come up :) ). So the R1 traction in mud is not really a great advantage at the end of the day.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have had all 4 tires spin at one point or another - that is with R4's - the muddy hillside was something I had no business going up. At that point R1's would have been better And turfs would have been a joke.
But for mostly grass and dirt work, I am happy with the R4's - I can see the advantage of turfs ON turf too.

I guess the best answer is - what are you going to be doing 90% of the time - and suffer through the other 10%

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
If you are not dealing with 'turf' mowing (yard with a finish mower, etc) the R1 or R4 may be the best option. I do think you are placing too much emphasis on width as opposed to traction. You can put a 25 inch wide tire on your tractor but if it has no traction, or collects mud until it became slick, you are going to be constantly stuck.

I watched a short video on the R14's a while ago and for me those may be what I get when I need replacements. I do a lot of 'everything' with my tractor but my main purpose is mowing about 12 acres of sometimes very wet, muddy field (front and back yard) with a bush hog and about 1.5 acres of actual yard around the house with a finish mower. If my ground by the house is not dry I will leave tracks with the R4s.

From what you have described I think the R1 may be the best option. But, as you and @85Hokie pointed out in the end, how much mud are you dealing with?

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have had all 4 tires spin at one point or another - that is with R4's - the muddy hillside was something I had no business going up. At that point R1's would have been better And turfs would have been a joke.
But for mostly grass and dirt work, I am happy with the R4's - I can see the advantage of turfs ON turf too.

I guess the best answer is - what are you going to be doing 90% of the time - and suffer through the other 10%
I think this is the conclusion I reached...:)

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you are not dealing with 'turf' mowing (yard with a finish mower, etc) the R1 or R4 may be the best option. I do think you are placing too much emphasis on width as opposed to traction. You can put a 25 inch wide tire on your tractor but if it has no traction, or collects mud until it became slick, you are going to be constantly stuck.

I watched a short video on the R14's a while ago and for me those may be what I get when I need replacements. I do a lot of 'everything' with my tractor but my main purpose is mowing about 12 acres of field (front and back yard) with a bush hog and about 1.5 acres of actual yard around the house with a finish mower. If my ground by the house is not dry I will leave tracks with the R4s.

From what you have described I think the R1 may be the best option. But, as you and @85Hokie pointed out in the end, how much mud are you dealing with?
As I mentioned above, I concluded I do not really (most of the time) have that much mud to deal with.

And I do not know the tread width difference between and R1 and R4. So I am just guessing that the width would be greater with the 15 inch wide R4s.

After tipping my B2910 on its side once (in 18 years), wider is better from my perspective.

If traction in mud/soft spots was a prime consideration, I guess R1 tires would be the best choice. The R4s just seem to offer so much more where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. But I doubt that at almost 74 years old I will outlive any of the tire options. I plan to try though!:ROFLMAO:

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
In my experience, wide tires are best in sand, and narrow tires are best in mud.

Bruce

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Wider tire = More flotation = Less Traction usually. R-4 tires don’t do well in mud or slimy situations because there is so much rubber contact on the ground.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
:cry:

I have R4 tires on my B2910 and in mud they fill up and basically become slicks. I thought the R14 would be a great compromise.

Then I watched a Messicks video featuring R14 tires. And it looks like there is a lot less meat there than R4s, to the extent that my impression was they would wear out quicker than R1 tires (even if wear is not really a concern for the most part, not running on pavement).

So now I am thinking if I were to buy a new L2501 I would probably go with R4 tires. The 15" width might perform better than the 12.4" width R4 tires on my B2910 I suppose. And they just look more robust than the R14s...

Am I misguided in thinking this way?
The narrower the tire the more bite or pressure per square inch, this equals more traction. I would base my decision partially on that premise. I had a fairly narrow tired Jeep that was unstoppable in the snow. Many of my fancy neighbors had 4 dog dig (4wd) but fancy wide tires and couldn't even move. I was never prouder of my hillbilly heritage. For mud go narrow.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Details on how?

I did mine and the traction increase is noticeable.

groove1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
The narrower the tire the more bite or pressure per square inch, this equals more traction. I would base my decision partially on that premise. I had a fairly narrow tired Jeep that was unstoppable in the snow. Many of my fancy neighbors had 4 dog dig (4wd) but fancy wide tires and couldn't even move. I was never prouder of my hillbilly heritage. For mud go narrow.
No doubt the theory is correct. But my thinking it may best applied to tires that can actually bite into the surface.

I keep thinking that my R4 slicks, even if narrower, would still be slicks and not bite any more if narrow, but there might be more friction on the side surfaces if they dug in more.

But I am thinking I would rather have a wider tire and maybe sink in less when I lose traction, as worst case it would be easier to pull out if stuck.

BUT as I mentioned, I do not really have to deal with all that much mud, so in the end the R4 is probably the best compromise for me. I think it was the difference in the amount of rubber in the lugs that is causing me to think this way. It just looks to my eye like there is a LOT more rubber in the R4 tire as compared to the R14 tire. I do think the R14 would offer better traction in mud by far though.

Analysis paralysis! :oops:

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

View attachment 50624
Love the results you guys produced with the tire groover. !!!

Excellent to say the least!!!

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
Last week I moved some sand with the l2501 on r14s.. when pushing into the mound I had no problem spinning all 4 tires in dry, or wet sand, the good thing is they don't clump up, and push the sand out..

My bx23s with the r4s would spin too.. and be full of sand and fling it all over the place one I started moving in high gear.

The r14s are nicer on the grass.. there is no perfect tire.. just have to get the ones that fit your application best

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

View attachment 50624
If you lived closer to me I'd bring you a case of beer and ask you to help me groove my tires!