Does tire grooving really work?

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
I have 4 tenths of a mile driveway to plow with hills and turns. Gave up on the plow truck because I always ran out of room due to piles and had to get the tractor out to move piles so I could continue to plow. Thought this is stupid and sold plow truck and tractor and purchased a low hour Kubota L4240HSTC-3 and a 72 inch HD pusher. I was having problems with the Industrial R4 tires when temps were twenties or higher. They acted like slicks and when I pushed off road downhill and tried backing out I would be stuck and had to use diff lock and FEL to get out or make a sharp turn to free the tractor.
So I was considering chains, straps but didnt want chains to mess up my concrete pad and barn floor. Then I ran across a post in another forum on tire grooving. Bought a #4 groover off Amazon for 86 bucks. Spent three hours doing the fronts and making a template for rears and another three hours later I was finished!
Long story short, temperature was 27 degrees and I pushed the snow today with the grooved tires. I tried to get stuck and couldnt!
Grooving works!
Special thanks to High Compression for your tire grooving post!
https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/tires/233050-trying-tire-grooving-next-mod.html

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

dfixit1

Equipment
L4240HSTC-3
May 17, 2019
United States
Very nice!

I am borrowing a friends tool this weekend to do my R4's.
I did the fronts freehand but the rears I used a file folder and put it over the rear lugs, rubbed the edges to leave an imprint and cut out. Measured where I wanted the two grooves, marked with a sharpie. Cut out with a razor knife and laid templet over lug and marked lugs with a sharpie and used line on lug as a guide.
Good luck!

Last edited:

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I did the job last night. It took 2+ casual hours. I was surprised at the lack of smoke doing the job. I was ready for tornado level air evacuation and ended up just keeping the door open. That was a nice surprise.

I used the #4 blade and went about 5/16" deep.

This was totally freehand which is why it went so fast. I also left one partially done to satisfy my Wabi-Sabi nature.

No snow to test on right now but plenty of ice, so far it is a noticeable difference.

groove.jpg groove1.jpg groove2.jpg groove5.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Man, that must be a nice tool to have! Coming to CT anytime soon? ;)

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Nice work guys! Also considering doing this. Curious why not cut the groove through edge-to-edge, vs centering?

Automotive winter tires are always siped clear through the tread block.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I have to ask how or why does using a 'snow pusher' work better than a blade ?
To me a snow pusher is a blade with wings, aka a box blade.
Curious as I plowed a LOT of snow over the years with a CJ-5 and 6'6 blade

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
OK, I have to ask how or why does using a 'snow pusher' work better than a blade ?
To me a snow pusher is a blade with wings, aka a box blade.
Curious as I plowed a LOT of snow over the years with a CJ-5 and 6'6 blade
Not better but different.

A pusher carries more snow for pushing/stacking.
Because of the depth, it rides along the ground nicely.
One is better at moving/collecting snow the other is better at pushing it aside quickly.

I have a 6.5' plow that I pin in the bucket and for my needs it is great.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re:..A pusher carries more snow for pushing/stacking.

hmm.. your 'snow pusher' has a bottom, so really a 'bucket' ?

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Nice work guys! Also considering doing this. Curious why not cut the groove through edge-to-edge, vs centering?

Automotive winter tires are always siped clear through the tread block.
I have the same question, I just ordered the tire groover as my front R1's are useless in some snow conditions so I will give it a try.
I have chains for the fronts but prefer not to use them unless absolutely necessary, which is rare to never.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I have the same question, I just ordered the tire groover as my front R1's are useless in some snow conditions so I will give it a try.
I have chains for the fronts but prefer not to use them unless absolutely necessary, which is rare to never.
No specific reason for not going to the edge or even around the shoulder. It could increase wear but I would not worry about that (depending on the tire size). I liked the look but it did take longer starting/stopping short. Going edge to edge would be faster.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Should it be grooves or sipes to help in snow and/or ice?

Most members look to be adding grooves, but wonder if Sipes would be a better choice.

Too bad tire manufactures don't try to improve snow performance on their R4 tires for sizes common to the compact market and provide grooves/sipes as part of the tread design.

Found these tire siping tools on amazon.

Heated: https://www.amazon.com/Allstar-Performance-ALL10266-Heated-Siper/dp/B003TPKJH2/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=tire+groover+tool&qid=1580141676&sr=8-9

Unheated: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Siper-...486DG9GRMAP&psc=1&refRID=7REJXC53E486DG9GRMAP

Blade only: https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Siper-T...ords=tire+groover+tool&qid=1580141676&sr=8-14

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
re: ...Too bad tire manufactures don't try to improve snow performance on their R4 tires for sizes common to the compact market and provide grooves/sipes as part of the tread design.

they all assume it never snows ??? I'll wager '99.44%' of all tractor time is NOT spent in the snow......

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
they all assume it never snows ??? I'll wager '99.44%' of all tractor time is NOT spent in the snow......
You'd lose if the folks I know that own Kubota BX, B and L tractors were part of the sample population. :D:D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
sipes are just very tiny tire groves. Pretty sure a tire grover has blades available for siping.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
re: ...Too bad tire manufactures don't try to improve snow performance on their R4 tires for sizes common to the compact market and provide grooves/sipes as part of the tread design.

I probably spend 3/4th of my operating time on snow.
I do no ag or lawn work and little construction with the M so I am probably an outlier compared to most other folks.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh, must get a LOT of snow in Vermont !
ever since i built my SSQA snowblower, it's been IN the barn, 35*F here today.

Reactions: 1 user

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
yeesh, must get a LOT of snow in Vermont !
ever since i built my SSQA snowblower, it's been IN the barn, 35*F here today.
Averaged over the years I have owned tractors, we have had regular snow/frozen conditions most years. It is not just snow removal that I do in winter also logging and wood hauling to a large degree.
This year is anomalous in that each time it has snowed 4" or more, [3x so far], it has been followed by warm rainy weather that melts the snow and thaws the ground. Gets pretty sloppy:(

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Should it be grooves or sipes to help in snow and/or ice?
Siping is great on small flexible lugs. I do not think they would work well on R4's due to how stiff the lugs are. You would have to cut awfully deep to get them to flex enough for the siping to work.