What does everyone collect or do for a hobby?

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Wish the barn was mine, its a couple miles down the road from my place. There was once a very old house in front of it but a tornado in 2011 took out the house. Crazy how it spared the barn. Land just sits vacant now, was told the heir lives up north but cares nothing for the place but will not sale.
Wow man that’s a shame 😕 Such a beautiful barn though!

HVACRoger

Equipment
2021 L2501 Loader, Backhoe, LandPride Grapple, Tiller, Forks, Quick Connect
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
Wow man that’s a shame 😕 Such a beautiful barn though!
Yes it is! I would hate to show you the ones I found close to our place at the coast, they just bulldozed them to make a RV park. Make a grown man cry!!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Yes it is! I would hate to show you the ones I found close to our place at the coast, they just bulldozed them to make a RV park. Make a grown man cry!!

That makes me so sad. Where i live In Jersey finding abandon stuff like that is getting hard to find as well. They just keep tearing stuff down left and right

HVACRoger

Equipment
2021 L2501 Loader, Backhoe, LandPride Grapple, Tiller, Forks, Quick Connect
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
That makes me so sad. Where i live In Jersey finding abandon stuff like that is getting hard to find as well. They just keep tearing stuff down left and right
I grew up on small farms here in NC, those old barns were everywhere but they are rare to see now. Most are dilapidated. My wife lived in NJ till she was 15, her Dad lost his job and moved here. Her Mom was from here.

jacobsmith3471

May 16, 2022
U.S
Hello to all, I am new to the community and am enjoying it. I feel like it's a pleasant place to be. Clothing is my passion. Having a good shirt collection is one of my favorite things. Tyler the creator shirts will be in my shopping cart tomorrow. .

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
When I was young I use to collect redheads,,, got way to expencive though

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

crbr

Equipment
2006 B7800, 2022 BX1880
Jan 8, 2010
TN
I restore old inboard drive boats. Been a boating enthusiast for most of my life.

One such recent rebuild.

81 original condition seat01rs.jpg

81 original condition seat02rs.jpg

81 original condition seat03rs bare hull.jpg

81 original condition seat04rs new.jpg

crbr

Equipment
2006 B7800, 2022 BX1880
Jan 8, 2010
TN
Very nice! Do you do your own upholstery work also?
I do, but I do not like it. Too time consuming for my short attention span. I did this one (posted) but the one I have in the shop now, I'll farm it out. Thanks for the kind words. It's a labor of love and certainly not a profit-maker.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I do, but I do not like it. Too time consuming for my short attention span. I did this one (posted) but the one I have in the shop now, I'll farm it out. Thanks for the kind words. It's a labor of love and certainly not a profit-maker. .
I hear you!! LOL! Those seats look fantastic!! Love the blue piping, too!! Even having the old coverings as a pattern....getting the new padding shaped and fitting just right is a skill and art in itself, before you can even start sewing.

Reactions: 2 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I lived on a boat (Missouri river) from newborn until 12. We had a house in town but wasn't there but for school days, after school Friday as long as the river wasn't froze over, we were on the boat. Moved in 1989 and couldn't have cared any less about a boat. 20 years later my friend (old coworker) invited me to go fishing with him locally on a larger lake, known for it's clean water and beauty. I was hesitant. Had an absolute blast of a time catching crappie and just chilling out while tied to a submerged tree over 40' of water, of which you could see down about 15 foot just fine as long as the sun was out. In 2012 I bought a boat of my own and use it as often as possible and started guiding a local river in 2018, and quit that in April this year. Still love going unfortunately I can't do it as often as I'd like to, and guiding is a job of it's own.

Love seeing the boat pics. Dad owned a boat repair facility on the river for many years and I remember helping him all the time. I have a half of a big toe on my right foot from a lower unit that dad had stuck in a corner (Mercruiser Alpha one as I remember), and I was playing with the dog and knocked the lower over and it fell on my toe and amputated part of it immediately. Good memories working with dad on those old boats in the 1970's and 80's. Had a few not-so-good memories of hitting buoys and trees and whatever else on the river and listening to dad get on the radio looking for someone to tow him back to the marina. And a fire onboard once, which we got put out quickly. Dual 250" Chevy six engines, one of the fuel lines broke while running downriver. Thankfully it wasn't too bad. I have seen explosions from this kind of thing and those are never pretty.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I almost bought a boat couple years ago. Saw it on FB marketplace and it was in the town I work. $600 with a Chevy engine. The trailer alone was worth the $600. Only reason I chose not to, TIME!!! Too many projects too little time. Struggling now as it is trying to get all the hay equipment ready for the fist cutting as well as trying to get time to take the truck apart to replace the 4WD auto hub seals. New hubs arrived today, have had the seals for a year now.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
This isn’t really a “collection”….but another hobby….and thought you might get a chuckle or two out of our latest caper. I’ve always had an interest in vintage combination safe locks and earlier in this thread posted some pics of some safes I’ve built. A locksmith buddy happened to find out about those particular interests of mine. He’s an expert on all locks auto, commercial, and residential…..but not so much on old safe locks…….so he asks me to go along on calls for safe “lockouts” or combination changes, etc.

A recent call was to an old warehouse where his customer had an old business floor safe from the early 1900’s that he wanted to restore. He knew it was empty but the combination had been lost before he acquired the safe. We were able to get the safe open, remove the dial lock, and I brought it home to service and rebuild parts where needed. The lock is a very nice bronze Yale combination lock. To remove the years of wear and bring it back to life again, it needed some new bushings fabricated, shims, and a custom spring. With some clean up and configuring a new combination of the owner’s choice, it was ready to reinstall for him.
Circa 1900s Yale Safe Lock.JPG IMG_8627 (2).JPG Refurbished.JPG

But…….an old dark warehouse, vintage safe, vintage bronze Yale combination lock…..it was just ripe for a photo shoot! Some black material, a little Velcro fastening, and a few minutes on the vintage sewing machine provided the proper apparel for a couple of old safe crackers! Not to mention our box of fake “Dupont Door Openers”, should we need them.
Safe Cracker Apparel.jpg Safe Cracker Duo.JPG

The customer was extremely pleased with the restored lock and could hardly stop laughing long enough to take this pic. We told him we’ve never met a safe we couldn’t open! He said he was even more pleased that we didn’t have to blow the door off this one!

In case you're wondering which "mug" belongs to me............... I'm the handsome one! :ROFLMAO:

We're presently looking to expand our enterprise and looking for an accomplice......err.....business partner.
Must be willing to work nights. Possess a fast car. And have high speed driving skills!! Occasional long term "Time Off" may be provided......complete with room and board. Send resume!

• Love
  • Haha

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Super cool, love old
Locks and actually collect locks myself. But that finger jointed DuPont box is pretty freaking cool! Love the pics you guys did!

This isn’t really a “collection”….but another hobby….and thought you might get a chuckle or two out of our latest caper. I’ve always had an interest in vintage combination safe locks and earlier in this thread posted some pics of some safes I’ve built. A locksmith buddy happened to find out about those particular interests of mine. He’s an expert on all locks auto, commercial, and residential…..but not so much on old safe locks…….so he asks me to go along on calls for safe “lockouts” or combination changes, etc.

A recent call was to an old warehouse where his customer had an old business floor safe from the early 1900’s that he wanted to restore. He knew it was empty but the combination had been lost before he acquired the safe. We were able to get the safe open, remove the dial lock, and I brought it home to service and rebuild parts where needed. The lock is a very nice bronze Yale combination lock. To remove the years of wear and bring it back to life again, it needed some new bushings fabricated, shims, and a custom spring. With some clean up and configuring a new combination of the owner’s choice, it was ready to reinstall for him.
View attachment 86834 View attachment 86835 View attachment 86836

But…….an old dark warehouse, vintage safe, vintage bronze Yale combination lock…..it was just ripe for a photo shoot! Some black material, a little Velcro fastening, and a few minutes on the vintage sewing machine provided the proper apparel for a couple of old safe crackers! Not to mention our box of fake “Dupont Door Openers”, should we need them.
View attachment 86837 View attachment 86838

The customer was extremely pleased with the restored lock and could hardly stop laughing long enough to take this pic. We told him we’ve never met a safe we couldn’t open! He said he was even more pleased that we didn’t have to blow the door off this one!

In case you're wondering which "mug" belongs to me............... I'm the handsome one! :ROFLMAO:

We're presently looking to expand our enterprise and looking for an accomplice......err.....business partner.
Must be willing to work nights. Possess a fast car. And have high speed driving skills!! Occasional long term "Time Off" may be provided......complete with room and board. Send resume!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a few RC Cars. One of them is a brushless electric that given the right battery could touch 50 or so. Then 2, 2 stroke nitro ones, the smaller of these is good for about 65 mph and can run a couple of hours on a tank, the larger and older one is a 4wd monster truck from the late 90s/early 00s. I am planning on adding some more cars to this and hoping to expand the collection to some planes, quads, and helis if possible, but unfortunately house needs come first so the stable is probably as full as it will be for at least the next couple years. Ideal goal is to get a visor, transmitter, and camera and be able to drive/fly them FPV and maybe get a couple race quadcopters to crash.

Also "playing" golf, and being out on the lake/river are both good wastes of time too.
what-chu-talkin-bout-what-you-talking-about.gif

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I was young I use to collect redheads,,, got way to expensive though
I did also, however, always insisted on making certain that they were genuine, not out of a bottle. Kept one on the hook for about 4 or 5 years before she realized that I wasn't going to get married, and moved on to someone else. Got a message from a common friend that she was looking for me, but never pursued it, because I am now married.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I've just realized that I collect beer cans. But they are mostly the same brand. Once I accumulate enough of them, I realize I don't need that many and carry the bunch to the recycle container.

I know there are more in the pipeline, so I don't fret about losing what I collected...

Edit: And regret I never collected a red head in my travels...sob, sob...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I collect Corvair oil filters, because I have a Corvair, and the oil filter that Corvair uses, is not used on any other vehicle known to man (or woman, to be politically correct). I have them in cases of 25 filters to a display case. Last year, a friend built 4 additional cases for me, but haven't gotten around to putting filters into them. I should have asked him to build more, but I didn't want to push my luck. The first 4 I built in my father in laws shop, but he passed away, and I don't have a woodworking shop.
The above is from a reply in another thread from a little over a year ago. When I first started reading this thread it sounded very familiar, so I searched for my original reply and found it in another thread.
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...n-your-kubota-today.6326/page-489#post-488455

I now have 8 cases holding 200 filters, and possibly another 100 in boxes waiting to be sorted out and then put into additional display boxes once I get them made. I keep them in alphabetical order, so every few years requires a complete reset of all the display cases. I am working on that presently.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 2 users