What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Tractor trailer took out at least one power pole and a transformer up the road a bit. First real use of generator last week; second use this week. We have a couple of neighbor friends that think we’re odd running a generator off the back of a tractor. I think they’re odd sitting in the dark hoping the power company sorts it out quickly. View attachment 93090
How many hours can you run on a tank of diesel, and what rpm work's well?
Also, if a regen was needed, would that be a problem?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
How many hours can you run on a tank of diesel, and what rpm work's well?
Also, if a regen was needed, would that be a problem?
Run time depends on load. Based on the limited use we’ve had so far, it’s been a bit the less than 1 gallon per hour. 13.5 gallon fuel tank but no way I’m running it out of fuel so I’d say 10 hours realistically. First time out, ran a total of about 8 hours on about 6 gallons. I know that because it was full when it started, put a 6 gallon can in it to top off this time and it took all 6 gallons but barely. Ran around picking up stuff with the grapple for about 20 minutes between generator runs but I don’t suspect that burned much fuel.

This time 3.5 hours on what the gauge would translate to about 3 to 4 gallons but the gauge isn’t exactly a precision instrument so hard to tell. If it was summer and we were running A/C instead of the oil furnace, it might take a wee bit more fuel.

RPM is about the 540 PTO mark on the tach. I set RPM by the voltage and frequency meters on the generator rather than the engine tach.

So far as I know, it hasn’t demanded a regen while on the generator. I’ve had it run a regen while running the chipper at 540 and because I wasn’t in the operator seat I didn’t know it was doing it until I went to throttle it down to stop the chipper and saw the regen light on solid. About one minute later it was done without my involvement. At the RPM it’s running for the generator to make 60hz I would expect it to regen just fine without me, same as it did with the chipper.

Reactions: 1 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Tractor trailer took out at least one power pole and a transformer up the road a bit. First real use of generator last week; second use this week. We have a couple of neighbor friends that think we’re odd running a generator off the back of a tractor. I think they’re odd sitting in the dark hoping the power company sorts it out quickly. View attachment 93090
I can relate to that! When we had an 8 hr outage last year, neighbor said they were going to get a generator. Well a year has gone by and they still haven't. It isn't like they can't afford it. they have bragged about their retirement income. I still went up and helped them when a pine tree fell on their house last year too. Me, my chainsaw and kabotu did the the hard work but Ray who is 80 was there waiting for the next limb to drag away.

Bill

Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Not much. Just ran it for a while after topping off the fuel tank.

I had some summer diesel in the tractor, and have since filled cans with winter variety. All has been treated with winter additive and biocide, but conscious of diluting that summer diesel as much as possible.

View attachment 92983
That looks identical to the HaulMaster (Harbor freight) QH that I have. Have a look at these photos if you want to make it work even better. Your turnbuckle style stabilizers might even make that QH even less forgiving when you're trying to back into an attachment because they don't have as much slack as the telescoping type stabilizers. The sharp edges on those hooks catch on things pretty badly and just push the implement around rather than centering the QH in the lift pockets on the implement. About the only thing it does do is keep the lift arms spread the right distance. Not much point in having a QH that you still have to get on/off the tractor and use pry bars, etc.

You'll also find those are Cat 3 hooks. Tractor Supply has some great incremental bushings that will let you go from Cat 1 to 2, then 2-3, which helps tremendously with anything that has to have a tight and rigid connection to the 3PH. You can get them on Amazon as well. I get another set every time I get a new piece of 3PH equipment. Coat 'em with grease/graphite, and they make excellent rollers to let the pins slide down in the hook very nicely.

The mod in those photos made a HUGE difference. I can pop my BB on in a blink now without leaving the seat, and there's no more struggling to level the blade because of slack in the connection. The chipper takes a little longer because I have to connect the PTO shaft first, but otherwise, I back up against it and lift. The only reason I can come up with those hooks being so square on the edges is a cost reduction in production after cutting those parts from steel plate with a plasma cutter. The hooks are a LOT larger and stronger than anything you'll ever pull or lift with it, especiallly on that little BX. If this was being used on a Cat 3 tractor, well MAYBE you'd break it, but it's pretty stout.

I used cut-off wheels on an angle grinder to remove the bulk of the material from the corners, then a flapper wheel to shape and smooth them. I have ZERO concerns about breaking it with my LX or any of my implements.

IMO, it could have been about 2 inches shorter vertically which would have moved the top hook up a couple holes and made it a little more adjustable. Having to put the top hook in the very bottom holes for Cat 1 implements is a bit annoying. But, it does the trick, and fits anything I have with a QH Compatible sticker on it. An ongoing project I have is modifying my 3PH Receiver Hitch drawbar so that I can just drop it on the QH and boogie. The next thing I'll mod is my sub-soiler so it too will fit on the QH. I need to build a rack for that as well, especially if I get it QH compatible. I'm in no particular hurry though. It's shed time that keeps me outta the missus' hairdo.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Changed the terrible sloped factory seat out for the Countyline Kubota seat from TSC. Now, I don’t feel like I’m going to slide out of the seat and my back actually touches the back of the seat. The factory seat had about a 45 deg slope on the back. It’s not a direct bolt on seat. The front holes lined up and I had to drill 2 new holes in the mount to line up with holes in the seat. I also had to add some 3/16” thick spacers under the seat for the edge trim to clear the bolts on the slider rails.

D2F2A129-ACBB-4314-B17E-76C1649C624C.jpeg
D6767E8F-B552-40B8-B80E-EA5B21B73A18.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
That's some serious light there. Is that accomplished with headlights alone or do you have Aux lights?
I have a lightbar on the ROPS facing forwards and 2 smaller lamps facing backwards.
I also have a multicolour beacon lamp in the middle of the ROPS that flashes up to 10 different patterns
in orange and white, so depending on what "moment in time" I take a picture, some of the light may be captured from the beacon as well.

Here's daylight pix of the lights. I don't need to use headlights really, as it just mostly lights up the back of the blower or FEL. I do also use the rear hazards though.
snow 20211229_104514 (1).jpg
snow 20211229_104514 (2).jpg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I have a lightbar on the ROPS facing forwards and 2 smaller lamps facing backwards.
I also have a multicolour beacon lamp in the middle of the ROPS that flashes up to 10 different patterns
in orange and white, so depending on what "moment in time" I take a picture, some of the light may be captured from the beacon as well.

Here's daylight pix of the lights. I don't need to use headlights really, as it just mostly lights up the back of the blower or FEL. I do also use the rear hazards though.
View attachment 93172 View attachment 93173

Very nice. It certainly puts out more than adequate light.

I had ordered a light bar for mine last week (haven't received yet) and hope that it illuminates even half as well as yours. The brightness in your photo really caught my attention. Thanks.

Flint.

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Very nice. It certainly puts out more than adequate light.

I had ordered a light bar for mine last week (haven't received yet) and hope that it illuminates even half as well as yours. The brightness in your photo really caught my attention. Thanks.

Flint.

Thanks very much for your kind words Flint. I don't mind snowblowing, but I don't especially like doing it in the dark, from the safety standpoint. (well over half of my snow cleanup here is before sunrise or after sunset, thus investing a tiny bit of $$ in lighting was a no-brainer.

Even on my walk-behinds in the past I'd rig up alternative lighting, just so I knew I wouldn't be running into or chewing up stuff - LOL

When I put the lights on, it's nearly like daytime for 30-40' (or more) in most directions. I could use a tiny bit off to the sides, but as the tractor really only goes forwards and backwards, I think I'll be good. !

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
post deleted.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My step finally arrived from Canada, so I put it on today. Strange thing is that it didn't come with any instructions, but it wasn't difficult to install. Pictures tomorrow.
I don't remember if I received any install information with my step either.
Paul and Kathy sure do make nice mods though.
You will love the safety and stability of your new step.
Congratulations on a very wise choice!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
double Orange dig today for waste line repair...

View attachment 93203

View attachment 93204

It's going to take some significant clean up effort in the spring...

There are 11 children in this household, so, there was a real push to get them re-connected. Not finish grading. It was quite deep so there will be lots to settle. Not how I typically like to leave them.

View attachment 93205
Kinda deep!
Spoil pile kinda close.
Trench box not required by local codes?

Last edited:

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That looks identical to the HaulMaster (Harbor freight) QH that I have. Have a look at these photos if you want to make it work even better. Your turnbuckle style stabilizers might even make that QH even less forgiving when you're trying to back into an attachment because they don't have as much slack as the telescoping type stabilizers. The sharp edges on those hooks catch on things pretty badly and just push the implement around rather than centering the QH in the lift pockets on the implement. About the only thing it does do is keep the lift arms spread the right distance. Not much point in having a QH that you still have to get on/off the tractor and use pry bars, etc.

You'll also find those are Cat 3 hooks. Tractor Supply has some great incremental bushings that will let you go from Cat 1 to 2, then 2-3, which helps tremendously with anything that has to have a tight and rigid connection to the 3PH. You can get them on Amazon as well. I get another set every time I get a new piece of 3PH equipment. Coat 'em with grease/graphite, and they make excellent rollers to let the pins slide down in the hook very nicely.

The mod in those photos made a HUGE difference. I can pop my BB on in a blink now without leaving the seat, and there's no more struggling to level the blade because of slack in the connection. The chipper takes a little longer because I have to connect the PTO shaft first, but otherwise, I back up against it and lift. The only reason I can come up with those hooks being so square on the edges is a cost reduction in production after cutting those parts from steel plate with a plasma cutter. The hooks are a LOT larger and stronger than anything you'll ever pull or lift with it, especiallly on that little BX. If this was being used on a Cat 3 tractor, well MAYBE you'd break it, but it's pretty stout.

I used cut-off wheels on an angle grinder to remove the bulk of the material from the corners, then a flapper wheel to shape and smooth them. I have ZERO concerns about breaking it with my LX or any of my implements.

IMO, it could have been about 2 inches shorter vertically which would have moved the top hook up a couple holes and made it a little more adjustable. Having to put the top hook in the very bottom holes for Cat 1 implements is a bit annoying. But, it does the trick, and fits anything I have with a QH Compatible sticker on it. An ongoing project I have is modifying my 3PH Receiver Hitch drawbar so that I can just drop it on the QH and boogie. The next thing I'll mod is my sub-soiler so it too will fit on the QH. I need to build a rack for that as well, especially if I get it QH compatible. I'm in no particular hurry though. It's shed time that keeps me outta the missus' hairdo.
Yep - - I've found the HF QH is remarkably similar to a lot of chineseum implements. Wouldn't want to pull real hard on it with a big machine, but works great for my BX.

I've had mine for 8 or so years. I have a full compliment of TSC bushings of various types. Some implements I use bushings, others I don't. Bushings stay on the implement.

Has worked well for me after I got stuff dialed in. I often will change implements several times in a day. I park them on pallets, and can usually drop and pick up without leaving tractor seat.

Said it before and again on this thread, only thing I would change is a change to of one of Kenny's Extended Hooks at Accessories for Imported Quick Hitches - BoltOnHooks LLC .

PS - - I just ordered one of Kenny's Extended Hooks...... ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I totally agree with all of you above. I didn't dig it. I came later in the afternoon to help with the backfill. I wasn't pleased.

I think it would be best to remove the post. I certainly don't want anyone else doing that.

Reactions: 3 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Man I envy you guys with grapples. I keep struggling to warrant the purchase of one for my compact tractor (L2350DT). The lift capacity (at full height) is only about 900 lbs. So I couldn't really pick up and move any large heavy logs....but it might be more useful than I imagine.

If I had a larger tractor.....I would have one for sure. Certainly looks like a labor saver.
I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting one. My loader isn't much bigger but I use the heck out of the grapple in the woods. I may have to take smaller cuts of trees to dump them where they are out of the the way but without it. . .
20210919_143829_resized.jpg

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
Run time depends on load. Based on the limited use we’ve had so far, it’s been a bit the less than 1 gallon per hour. 13.5 gallon fuel tank but no way I’m running it out of fuel so I’d say 10 hours realistically. First time out, ran a total of about 8 hours on about 6 gallons. I know that because it was full when it started, put a 6 gallon can in it to top off this time and it took all 6 gallons but barely. Ran around picking up stuff with the grapple for about 20 minutes between generator runs but I don’t suspect that burned much fuel.

This time 3.5 hours on what the gauge would translate to about 3 to 4 gallons but the gauge isn’t exactly a precision instrument so hard to tell. If it was summer and we were running A/C instead of the oil furnace, it might take a wee bit more fuel.

RPM is about the 540 PTO mark on the tach. I set RPM by the voltage and frequency meters on the generator rather than the engine tach.

So far as I know, it hasn’t demanded a regen while on the generator. I’ve had it run a regen while running the chipper at 540 and because I wasn’t in the operator seat I didn’t know it was doing it until I went to throttle it down to stop the chipper and saw the regen light on solid. About one minute later it was done without my involvement. At the RPM it’s running for the generator to make 60hz I would expect it to regen just fine without me, same as it did with the chipper.
Thanks for the information NCL. I didn't realize one needed to run the tractor at those rpms.
I was assuming a fast idle would get the job done. Not the case at all.
Good information for sure.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting one. My loader isn't much bigger but I use the heck out of the grapple in the woods. I may have to take smaller cuts of trees to dump them where they are out of the the way but without it. . .
View attachment 93208
I am clearing some areas on my property of small saplings (up to 6" in diameter) and a bunch of Privet Hedge. So would mostly be using it to grab piles of that stuff and move it to a burn pile.

BUT sometimes I have trees blow down and it would sure be handy not to have to 'buck' the trunks into sizes I can handle by hand and load on a trailer.

My Loader will probably lift 1,000 lbs to the heights I would normally 'transport' cut pieces... but will only lift 800 lbs to full height (about 6.5 feet).

Sure looks like a labor saving device.

Most of the stuff I wouldn't be able to lift (or even grasp) I can 'push' with my
tractor....and do that now.

Hack2.jpg

Jsjac

Equipment
B2650
Feb 13, 2022
New Hampshire
I am clearing some areas on my property of small saplings (up to 6" in diameter) and a bunch of Privet Hedge. So would mostly be using it to grab piles of that stuff and move it to a burn pile.

BUT sometimes I have trees blow down and it would sure be handy not to have to 'buck' the trunks into sizes I can handle by hand and load on a trailer.

My Loader will probably lift 1,000 lbs to the heights I would normally 'transport' cut pieces... but will only lift 800 lbs to full height (about 6.5 feet).

Most of the stuff I wouldn't be able to lift (or even grasp) I can 'push' with my

View attachment 93210
Are those poison ivy vines?
If I cut that up at the fire wood working spot I would be covered in it.

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
View attachment 93208
I agree, fantastic for picking up branch piles,

View attachment 93210
You might be able to lift that log with a grapple, remember too the weight of the grapple can be held a bit further back than the tip of your bucket if you are trying to use a chain. That should make lifting easier. My landpride 60" isn't any special light weight model and it is a little lighter than my 60" bucket.

Grapples are fantastic for clearing! My tractor has similar specs to yours and it works great. I use it to pickup and move rocks as well.

When clearing the blowdown I just made a pile of the branches (facing the same direction) and picked them up, crunched them, and took them away.

Another view from much warmer times. I've been clearing an area of invasive glossy buckthorn and some saplings <3" diameter as well.

20220524_122847.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users