What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
It is 2 degrees here now. The generac is set to exercise at noon Saturdays. I have the cold weather battery and oil filter heaters. It will be interesting to see if it starts OK today.

Bill
I would like to know how well it starts. I have been thinking about getting a backup generator and was wondering how well it runs in really cold weather. We had -6 a couple nights ago.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I would like to know how well it starts. I have been thinking about getting a backup generator and was wondering how well it runs in really cold weather. We had -6 a couple nights ago.
You're a bit further south than me. We have a Kohler 20KW and this cold weather hasn't had any effect on it's startup. We have it set for a 20 minute test run every Monday. That is to not only confirm it's start up/run ability, but to get warm enough to eliminate any moisture build up on the armature.

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I'm still using my 8500 running watt gas generator if needed during hurricane season. I store at least 30 gallons of treated premium gas. I do this from May-November. If I don't have to use it, I put it in the Tahoe in mid November.
Getting more if needed during extended outages isn't a problem. Walmart is 5 minutes away, and what they do is to set up a full bay for filling gas cans only. Makes life a lot easier living living near the Gulf coast.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
View attachment 92718 View attachment 92719 View attachment 92720
No snow here. Cold rain followed by deep freeze and the wind that came with it. A few trees on power lines. VERY minor compared to many other areas. But it was the first time we actually used the 16kW PTO generator that supplanted a 5kW portable. Of course we had tested it. This was its first real deployment.

All involved clearly understand this isn’t 200 amp service, however it’s enough to run the well pump (unlike the 5kW) and pretty much go on as normal so long as no one gets stupid. The 5kW ran the heat and refrigeration units via a spaghetti of drop cords but little else, so this was a huge upgrade. Being able to run the well pump is kind of a big deal as is adding a transfer switch instead of stringing drop cords.

Very pleased with the performance and ease of setup. Ran it for about 3 hours, then power back on. 10 minutes later, power back off. 2 more hours of generator and power back on to stay. 🫰

Probably wouldn’t have run it that much if we didn’t have guests for the holidays and a first run of new equipment.
Wow! That's a very affordable option for those of us that have tractors already, which is basically all of us here.

I bought a Kubota GL7000 generator two years ago for twice the cost of your unit and it puts out a measly 7kW but it's powered my house on one occasion. It's a very nice generator but the output is dwarfed by your 16kW unit. Power here is generally very stable and reliable and I wanted something mobile so didn't go the Generac route. One day maybe, but for now it' s down to the GL7000 to come to the rescue if needed.

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I went out to clear around the mailbox so I started it then. Not a long crank at all and started right up. Mine is the 20kw generac. I let it run for about 10 minutes while I warmed the 8N to plow the driveway and mailbox. Got it done and it is 4 degrees and breezy.

Bill

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I use the plow on the 200 yard gravel driveway and the snow blower on the asphalt. I can do the asphalt in 15 minutes or less so it's not a big deal to look out the back window. As I said in my earlier post, I turn in the seat so that I'm facing to the right.

I don't like driving over snow and compacting it before trying to remove it so that's one of the things I like about the rear facing snow blower. A front mounted snow blower would be the best solution, but I'm not spending $7k or more on one of those, and in addition, I would need to put the snow blade on the other tractor. As it is, I'm very pleased with the setup I have.
Driving over snow and compacting it is a non issue with the pull type. You simply drive over the snow and it removes it as effectively as any other blower...minus the neck craning and with the ability to drive comfortably and look forward as you drive. Most people who comment negatively on pull type blowers have never used them, I've had mine for 2 years and wouldn't think of going with a rear facing. There's a reason pull types are the most popular blowers in all nordic countries.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Driving over snow and compacting it is a non issue with the pull type. You simply drive over the snow and it removes it as effectively as any other blower...minus the neck craning and with the ability to drive comfortably and look forward as you drive. Most people who comment negatively on pull type blowers have never used them, I've had mine for 2 years and wouldn't think of going with a rear facing. There's a reason pull types are the most popular blowers in all nordic countries.
I understand the benefits of pull type rear snow blowers, and frankly a front mount is better than any rear mount, but until turning in the seat and looking over my shoulder, and/or using the mirrors becomes a problem I'll stick with what I have. There's always someone out there who'll tell you that you have a problem with something even though you don't.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I understand the benefits of pull type rear snow blowers, and frankly a front mount is better than any rear mount, but until turning in the seat and looking over my shoulder, and/or using the mirrors becomes a problem I'll stick with what I have. There's always someone out there who'll tell you that you have a problem with something even though you don't.
For me, keeping my bucket accessible during the winter was a must so front mount wasn't a consideration, especially when I can still drive forward and clear snow with no issue.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
For me, keeping my bucket accessible during the winter was a must so front mount wasn't a consideration, especially when I can still drive forward and clear snow with no issue.
We all have different tractors, types of snow, amounts of snow, driveways, parking areas, inclines, wants, needs, finances, and so on, not to mention range of motion. I could buy a used front mount snow blower for the MX for not much more than a Erskine pull behind, but I would have to give up the front hydraulic snow blade which is a deal breaker for me. I have two tractors and the M6060 has the bucket on it and I can easily switch to pallet forks if needed.

For the moment I'm more than happy with the snow setup I have. In a few years maybe I'll reconfigure it, but for now it's staying as it is. Not for one moment do I think I have the best snow setup on the forum and I hope you don't have that impression. My setup works for me and that's all there is to it. I don't like driving over snow because it compacts and turns to ice, but that's my reality which might be different from yours.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
It is 2 degrees here now. The generac is set to exercise at noon Saturdays. I have the cold weather battery and oil filter heaters. It will be interesting to see if it starts OK today.

Bill
My old (2008ish) 15kw LP fired Generac just ran it's exercise routine, it's 14* now, started right up and ran perfectly. It has just over 500 hours on it now.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Wow! That's a very affordable option for those of us that have tractors already, which is basically all of us here.

I bought a Kubota GL7000 generator two years ago for twice the cost of your unit and it puts out a measly 7kW but it's powered my house on one occasion. It's a very nice generator but the output is dwarfed by your 16kW unit. Power here is generally very stable and reliable and I wanted something mobile so didn't go the Generac route. One day maybe, but for now it' s down to the GL7000 to come to the rescue if needed.
Stability of the grid here was a good part of the reason we didn’t get a dedicated standby. Rarely need it, but when we do we do. That and lack of gas lines meant whatever we got had to have a dedicated fuel tank, not the “endless” supply of a gas line. Not right for everyone but a good fit for our needs and a lot of kW/$.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
We all have different tractors, types of snow, amounts of snow, driveways, parking areas, inclines, wants, needs, finances, and so on, not to mention range of motion. I could buy a used front mount snow blower for the MX for not much more than a Erskine pull behind, but I would have to give up the front hydraulic snow blade which is a deal breaker for me. I have two tractors and the M6060 has the bucket on it and I can easily switch to pallet forks if needed.

For the moment I'm more than happy with the snow setup I have. In a few years maybe I'll reconfigure it, but for now it's staying as it is. Not for one moment do I think I have the best snow setup on the forum and I hope you don't have that impression. My setup works for me and that's all there is to it. I don't like driving over snow because it compacts and turns to ice, but that's my reality which might be different from yours.
Everyone uses what works for them. Merry Christmas.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The chaos ensued last night on my neighbor's driveway around 9pm. They rent the bottom floor of their house to a nice couple who moved here from WA state a couple of years ago. The tenant's daughter drove over from Idaho yesterday for Christmas, and because my Californian neighbors don't have any way to deal with snow (they've only been here for four or five years!) the daughter got stuck on the hill, and eventually slid off into a ditch next to the fence. The owners pay a snow removal contractor when necessary but seem to try to get away with paying as little as possible.

I watched for quite a while as her dad tried to get her out but to no avail. I called him and offered my help but his phone was up at the house. I sent him a text and told him I could help if necessary. Since the car was partially blocking the driveway, and there's 2ft or more of snow on the ground, no one could get past and up the hill. A couple of cars spent the night at the bend in my driveway where I keep a decent sized area clear.

Late last night the tenant responded to my text in which I offered to get the car out using the M6060. He was going to call a tow company who based on last year's fee for getting his wife out would have charged $400 minimum to come up. He asked me if I could help. Seriously, it took longer to warm up the tractor and drive down the hill than it did to get the car out. The dad hooked up a strap to the rear wheel nearest the driveway looping it around the loader arm. I raised the bucket, backed up and the car was out of the ditch and back on the driveway.

They sure did a number in my field with the numerous attempts to get her free last night. I've done my good deed for Christmas. The car is now parked at my house since my driveway is easy to get up. :)

I'm not looking for praise here since I enjoy using my tractors, and this was fun for me and not even remotely like work. I'm just sharing my Christmas morning experience after I'd cleared my driveway. These photos were taken after we got the car out of the ditch.

m6060_12-25-22.jpg

m6060_12-25-22(2).jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
You're a bit further south than me. We have a Kohler 20KW and this cold weather hasn't had any effect on it's startup. We have it set for a 20 minute test run every Monday. That is to not only confirm it's start up/run ability, but to get warm enough to eliminate any moisture build up on the armature.
Do the same thing. Our 24Kw Generac has not had any issues starting in cold weather.

Have it set up to test run/exercise mid week at noon for 15 minutes.

So far....so good.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
The chaos ensued last night on my neighbor's driveway around 9pm. They rent the bottom floor of their house to a nice couple who moved here from WA state a couple of years ago. The tenant's daughter drove over from Idaho yesterday for Christmas, and because my Californian neighbors don't have any way to deal with snow (they've only been here for four or five years!) the daughter got stuck on the hill, and eventually slid off into a ditch next to the fence. The owners pay a snow removal contractor when necessary but seem to try to get away with paying as little as possible.

I watched for quite a while as her dad tried to get her out but to no avail. I called him and offered my help but his phone was up at the house. I sent him a text and told him I could help if necessary. Since the car was partially blocking the driveway, and there's 2ft or more of snow on the ground, no one could get past and up the hill. A couple of cars spent the night at the bend in my driveway where I keep a decent sized area clear.

Late last night the tenant responded to my text in which I offered to get the car out using the M6060. He was going to call a tow company who based on last year's fee for getting his wife out would have charged $400 minimum to come up. He asked me if I could help. Seriously, it took longer to warm up the tractor and drive down the hill than it did to get the car out. The dad hooked up a strap to the rear wheel nearest the driveway looping it around the loader arm. I raised the bucket, backed up and the car was out of the ditch and back on the driveway.

They sure did a number in my field with the numerous attempts to get her free last night. I've done my good deed for Christmas. The car is now parked at my house since my driveway is easy to get up. :)

I'm not looking for praise here since I enjoy using my tractors, and this was fun for me and not even remotely like work. I'm just sharing my Christmas morning experience after I'd cleared my driveway. These photos were taken after we got the car out of the ditch.

View attachment 92810

View attachment 92811
I like the "hat" your tractor has.

Reactions: 3 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I like the "hat" your tractor has.
State law here is you have to remove snow from vehicles...I don't think it applies to tractors (yet).

In all seriousness, it is the law here in PA. Woman was killed Christmas eve or Christmas day a few years ago not far from here from a dislodged chunk of ice. It went right thru the windshield of her car. She was the passenger and had two young children in the back seat. doesn't get much more sad than that.

• Wow

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
Today, and yesterday, I dug out my 1/2 mile long driveway. The blizzard winds blew feet of snow over the my driveway.
Anywhere from 18" to 5 feet deep, and about 15 hours on my little LX2610 with the loader. I'm now ordering a front snow blower. I do really like our LX2610 Cab... most of the time digging it was below zero Fahrenheit.
Merry Christmas!
20221224_092625.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Today, and yesterday, I dug out my 1/2 mile long driveway. The blizzard winds blew feet of snow over the my driveway.
Anywhere from 18" to 5 feet deep, and about 15 hours on my little LX2610 with the loader. I'm now ordering a front snow blower. I do really like our LX2610 Cab... most of the time digging it was below zero Fahrenheit.
Merry Christmas! View attachment 92827
That's brutal, any idea on eta for the blower?

Reactions: 1 users