What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Scraped 1/2” of ice off my driveway then hooked up my PTO generator and ran it for 5 hours while the power company replaced the pole that someone sheared off because of the ice storm.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Thanks D2.
I neglected to mention that at least one of the kids my daughter saw did not survive. Another lost his foot.No tractor ride is worth that risk. The parent is never the same, either.
I guess the best way to teach them, when they're old enough, is to teach them the safety first, before strapping into the seat, then putting them into the seat with the machine off and taking it a step at a time until they "solo".
Then put 'em to work! George
Growing up in the city I couldn't wait to move out to the country. Soon thereafter a grandmother across the lake from me did a similar move and allowed her 12 year old grandson visiting from the city shred their pasture on a 9N Ford tractor and bush-hog.
Yep. She found what was left of him still spinning on the PTO driveshaft after he apparently ducked under a tree limb and fell off the seat backwards.
Imagine if you will that horrible sight of bloody slinging meat being your grandchild.

A couple years later a retired rice-farmer friend of ours...having retired from 35 years of rice-farming on tractors.... was late coming in for lunch from mowing. His wife found him beneath the tractor which had rolled over on him in a ditch. We were all shocked that an experienced tractor-guy could be killed in such a manner.

Please keep the kids FAR away from these dangerous machines. They are NOT REALLY TOYS for children.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Scraped 1/2” of ice off my driveway then hooked up my PTO generator and ran it for 5 hours while the power company replaced the pole that someone sheared off because of the ice storm.
Rest assured, you have more coming tomorrow....:)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Most all the farmers around here (myself not included) are missing at least one digit, sometimes more, sometimes some scalp too.

I stay acutely aware of rotating parts, wear my seatbelt when in the tractors too.

Last summer the old guy down the road was mowing his yard on his lawn tractor and flipped it in the roadside ditch and he died underneath it. Cause of death wasn't crushing, it was drowning, the ditch had water in it.

Closest I ever came to getting pulled into a PTO shaft was a couple years ago in the fall. Got my shirt sleeve caught. Only thing that saved me was the shirt was old, slightly rotten and I pulled away and ripped the sleeve off. Had it been a new shirt, I probably would not be posting this.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Only thing that saved me was the shirt was old, slightly rotten and I pulled away and ripped the sleeve off. Had it been a new shirt, I probably would not be posting this.
Please send me your address, I'll send you a box of new untearable shirts! :p :D

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Ok,

I'll share one as well...on the farm that I worked on as a teenager, there was once another experienced operator that lost his son due to a tractor accident.

The young son was riding on the fender of the tractor with his father at the wheel. They were traveling on a paved road and the operator needed to stop rather quickly. He hit the brakes (the bar connecting the split brakes was not locked and he managed to hit only one brake pedal), a single rear wheel locked which caused the tractor to over turn, crushing his son.

It does happen, even with experienced operators.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I asked Jim, who was 95 at the time, how his arm got buggered up. I had known him for a couple years, and had installed a big off grid solar system at his 450 acre home. This guy was a WW2 Marine Air Corp pilot, with 2,000 hours of combat time, flying Corsairs off of carriers. After that he went on to a 50 year career as a crop duster. Then he retired to a Nevada ranch and flew his Super Cub all over, without using an airport. None of that "got" him. I had noticed he partial use of his arm but didn't realize it had been tore off and flung 30' away, then packed in ice and sewn back on! His nurse daughter told me this, all he would say about it when asked how his arm got buggered up, was " PTO".

I have a bad habit of getting off the tractor while the rear blower is engaged, and hand cranking the chute to a different direction. I never come closer then 24" to that spinning drive shaft, and don't have loose clothing dangling, but still, every time I think of Jim's single word comment.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Let’s get away from the tragic accident stories and get back to the regular programming of “What did you do on your Kubota Today?” If you want to continue the accident stories please start a separate thread.

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
Let’s get away from the tragic accident stories and get back to the regular programming of “What did you do on your Kubota Today?” If you want to continue the accident stories please start a separate thread.

X1000

huntfishquest.com

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
I have done nothing on my Kubota
We have had rain about 70% of the days since the new year and this weekend had a 100 year rain event.
There is no creek or pond where this lake is. It stays a little wet in really wet springs but other than that no water.

My property is this side of the tree line. The neighbors property is under 3-4ft of water on the other side....

huntfishquest.com

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well I thought I was going to get some seat time in the tractor today but once again the storm wasn't near what they thought it was gonna be. March can be a bugger here though, I just wish I had a crystal ball so if it's gonna be like the rest of the winter I'd be able to take the front blower off and replace it with the grapple so I can started on the brush cleanup and get it burn't while it's still safe to do so. Either way I'm not complaining, been a great winter, cold but great.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Only thing I did with my Kubota was to top off the fuel where it sits hooked to the generator in case power goes out again in this wind.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nothing. It sits in garage with battery tender on.
Having high winds with some Lake Effect.
I'd prefer the winds quieted down; power loss at 18f isn't fun...

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Moved a pair of bales of alfalfa for the hay burners this morning. Due to poor planning last night I had the truck and horse trailer blocking my access back out of our manure pile so I parked it out in the open with a snow storm on the way.

I came out this morning to 2-3 inches of powder and had to get the tractor started. Luckily she's warm blooded and fired right up with only a few more seconds of decompressed spinning over than normal.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Only thing I did with my Kubota was to top off the fuel where it sits hooked to the generator in case power goes out again in this wind.
I have to agree, this information is much more important than any discussion/warning of any unsafe tractor operations.:D:D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Cyclone OMA missed us but the new open drains were worthwhile doing.

Managed to spread out 20 truck loads of asphalt millings with the BX23S-AU Need another 4-5 to finish off before rolling.
It's funny to me that you talk about putting diesel on the millings and rolling it to compact it.

Up here, you would be in jail for doing that, contaminates the soil and water ways!

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
It's funny to me that you talk about putting diesel on the millings and rolling it to compact it.

Up here, you would be in jail for doing that, contaminates the soil and water ways!
Have to disagree with you on that.
You only dust it enoigh to loosen the surface which lets you push the rocks down and flatten the surface.
The asphelt itself is far more damaging than the diesel which is crude oil that has been boiled to boiling at 525 °C.
Im guessing your roads are paved with ashpelt