What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
Challenge accepted flyidaho.

I looked up both on Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary.

The dictionary definition of “shackle” describes this item as follows:

“a usually U-shaped fastening device secured by a bolt or pin through holes in the end of the two arms”

The dictionary definition of “clevis” says “see shackle”

So he did indeed install clevis onto his bucket. Or a shackle. However, shackle can also be a verb, or specific to chaining up an animal or person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
clev·is
***712;klev***601;s/Submit
n/oun
plural noun: clevises

A U-shaped or forked metal connector within which another part can be fastened by means of a bolt or pin passing through the ends of the connector.

shack·le
/***712;SHak(***601;)l/Submit
noun
plural noun: shackles

A metal link, typically U-shaped, closed by a bolt, used to secure a chain or rope to something.

Sounds like the same thing to me?

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Get around crane guys and call a shackle a clevis, ancd this is what happens! If you want to be absolutely precise when pointing to a shackle, as commonly used in crane rigging, and as was pictured, call it a shackle. Calling it a clevis is also correct, sort of, shackle is MORE correct, at least that is the term in common usage amongst those who work with them on a daily basis professionally. Get on any crane rigging supply site, search for both and you will see what I mean.

In the Thanksgiving spirit, isn't it great we, I anyway, have the time to bother with something so minor like this terminology, instead of worrying about where I'm going to sleep tonight or if I can find something to eat!

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm with flyidaho on this one. A clevis would normally be attached to the end of something, like, for instance, on the end of a hydraulic cylinder. Typically a clevis is something where one end, the base of the U, is more permanently attached to something else.

By comparison, a shackle is typically free on both ends, and thus capable of being used to join two items together. This gives rise to the verb shackle, which described joining two things not normally joined. I'm unaware of a verb form of clevis.

I have clevises in multiple locations in the cable-driven flight control system in my airplane. I use a shackle to shackle the winch to the airplane to tow it uphill into my hangar.

There, clear as mud now. Riiiiiiiiight! :)

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I have a grove of Poplar (aka really big weeds) behind the barn. Last windstorm did not go well for a couple of them, and one wound up leaning against the roof of my barn. I gave quite a bit of thought as to just how I was going to get it down without:

1) Staving the roof all to crap.
B) Having it land on the chicken fence.
iii) Having it land on me or the tractor.
Quatro) Getting it hung up in the other trees.

Put the ladder up and put a choker and wire rope up as high as my wrinkled old butt was was willing to climb.

Wire rope and 2 lengths of log chain out to the Cabota, just in case it decided to head for the tractor.

Cut the bottom side as deep as I dared. (Saw is running like crap, need to look into that.)

Drove off. It stood up a LOT straighter than I expected before the hinge let go.

I guess I could've gotten away with a little deeper cut, but it's down and nothing got smushed.

Last edited:

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Awesome work and you got her done :)

I have a grove of Poplar (aka really big weeds) behind the barn. Last windstorm did not go well for a couple of them, and one wound up leaning against the roof of my barn. I gave quite a bit of thought as to just how I was going to get it down without:

1) Staving the roof all to crap.
B) Having it land on the chicken fence.
iii) Having it land on me or the tractor.
Quatro) Getting it hung up in the other trees.

Put the ladder up and put a choker and wire rope up as high as my wrinkled old butt was was willing to climb.

Wire rope and 2 lengths of log chain out to the Cabota, just in case it decided to head for the tractor.

Cut the bottom side as deep as I dared. (Saw is running like crap, need to look into that.)

Drove off. It stood up a LOT straighter than I expected before the hinge let go.

I guess I could've gotten away with a little deeper cut, but it's down and nothing got smushed.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
I installed a block heater today. Went easier than I thought it would once I switched to a 3 foot breaker bar to get the freeze plug out!

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
Today I stopped that all too annoying engine/hood rattle specially at low RPM’s!

I went into my garage and found me some sticky sided rubber door insulation tape and cut a couple 4” strips and stuck one on each side of the hood latch..

This fixed my rattle’s completely! I wish I had done this a LONG time ago! It’s so much quieter now at idle and on cold start-ups it almost feels like something is wrong because I’m not use to the tractor sounding so nice/quite! Haha.

NoBiffBetter

Oct 30, 2018
Silver Creek, NY. USA
I have to steal that anti rattle tip!

Be my guest!

I was gonna actually post a thread on it but wasn’t sure how many people would be interested in doing it.

I’m gonna Re-do it in the spring time and add longer lengths of weather stripping that will go all the way down the sides of the Cowell from the latch all the way down..if you did yours that way then it would be even quieter I’m sure. It was just too darn cold out the other day to do a real good job with it lol.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That's what all the early B6100 (and others) had under their hood from the factory. Buy it in a roll, 1/2" wide at the hardware store when it needed replaced.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I used that same trick on a BX2200 I used to own. Thankfully my BX2370 doesn't have the same problem.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
It warmed up to 40*f here today. A heat wave. So I put on my bucket and scraped some ice off the driveway and around my shop.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Got lucky lol. Was clearing brush and ran over a small stump that managed to get up in between the axle and into the engine compartment. I killed the tractor immediately after the grinding sounds and the shower of hydro fluid. Having already killed two snakes where the tractor was I opted to tow the tractor back to the house, turns out it just sharpened the fan blades and ripped the power steering return hose off. I was expecting way worse.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I got my 13' by 30' add on to an extisting out building completed just in time, winter is here, at 5600'! Half way through the project, I was having misgivings, as it was more work and money then expected. A week later I can't imagine not having it, now my chipper and flail mower, bought this year, are out of my precious heated shop space and also out of the weather. Plus I bought the mini excavator this year and built a trailer for it, so I was getting too cramped for inside storage. All the implements are now on big castered platforms, on the new concrete slab in the addition, making them a breeze to hook up or so I'm told. I got my backfilling all down, and 15 tons of gravel spread right before the freezeup, I'm just waiting on the roll up door now, this project is completed!

Attachments