What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Part of me thinks it might be wise to split this thread into "What Service/Repair have you done ON your Orange Tractor" And then in Tractor Operating put a new thread "What did you do WITH Your Orange Tractor.

What do you ya'll think?

In the mean time.... I know it didn't really happen cause "I got no pictures" but I spread gravel WITH my Orange today. About 5yards
To is covered by all the other forums. There is no forum to cover what we are doing "on" our Kubota's (projects, whatever). So, I'll reiterate my request to have a new forum created to cover the things we do with our Kubota's. That could also have tutorials on how to do certain functions with the units, etc. :)

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
... I know it didn't really happen cause "I got no pictures" but I spread gravel WITH my Orange today. About 5yards
Yep, you figgered right -- I'd suspect you had too much Guinness, but I know that skeets has caused a nationwide shortage. So you've had a bit too much of something fine, otherwise you would have been freezin yer buns blowin snow while dreaming you were roastin yer toes in front of the fire! :D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Part of me thinks it might be wise to split this thread into "What Service/Repair have you done ON your Orange Tractor" And then in Tractor Operating put a new thread "What did you do WITH Your Orange Tractor...
To is covered by all the other forums. There is no forum to cover what we are doing "on" our Kubota's (projects, whatever). So, I'll reiterate my request to have a new forum created to cover the things we do with our Kubota's. That could also have tutorials on how to do certain functions with the units, etc. :)
Shaun makes a good point ("What? Are you dragging that dead horse out again?") and I'd like to see that forum.

However, Grouch (oops! I mean Coach <smirk>) hits on something that I've struggled with: a huge stash of valuable info that is all jumbled up. Since almost everybody seems to follow my style of not adding 'tags' to posts, I have a lot of trouble finding messages that I know I've read but don't recall specifics that effect successful searches.

It seems that implementing both would be beneficial and wouldn't necessarily lead to posting in the wrong forum. (Not any more than I already do.)

Can we get it on November's ballot? (It might encourage greater voter turnout than I'm envisioning!)

forceten

Equipment
BX 25d, Grand L6060, Kx040, GL7500, ZD1211 With cab
Sep 4, 2015
New Jersey
There have been a couple of threads about the shaft seal leaking on linear actuators. The actuator either fills up with water and freezes or fails. Maybe your rubber seal in the picture will be better, but I followed the suggested resolution and installed mine with the motor up and the shaft down.
Hmmm I never though to mount it upside down.......

Mine is sealed, but you know as well as I do - in the middle of a 0 degree night with ice/snow - nothing is really sealed.

So I have the choice of letting it go and seeing how it holds up - or seeing how hard it would be to flip it upside down. Might not even have to change the holes. But I have to see if I flip it without remounting it to a new spot if the action still opens and closes no problem.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Hmmm I never though to mount it upside down.......

Mine is sealed, but you know as well as I do - in the middle of a 0 degree night with ice/snow - nothing is really sealed.

So I have the choice of letting it go and seeing how it holds up - or seeing how hard it would be to flip it upside down. Might not even have to change the holes. But I have to see if I flip it without remounting it to a new spot if the action still opens and closes no problem.
For now maybe make a skirt for it? Auto innertube wrapped around it tight at top and zipped tied. Let bottom be bell-bottomed out and hanging well around the motor when at lowest position and just below top edge of motor at highest position?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you're going to wrap a tube around it, use a bicycle tube. Might have to get one from a mountain bike to get a larger size tube. bike tub is much thinner, so it's more flexible and will clamp tighter.

My neighbor is the Bicycle Doctor. I get all sizes of tubes for projects. I wrapped my L305 steering wheel until I found a good one.

JuicedOrange

Equipment
Sunshine L3202DT,4 in 1 FEL,5ft slaher,carry all and L7000 with slasher
Jan 11, 2016
NSW Australia
replaced a hose on the FEL and tried to fix the horn and temp gauge.... Horn wasn't working because there isn't one installed! Couldn't work out why the temp. gauge was working, as it looks like a new sender unit and the cable passed the resistance test. I assumed the gauge is broken :(

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Wellll........ once you add the Tutorials concept which is GREAT then in reality is that not basically the same as Tractor Operating Forum? All be it a more improved one.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
If you're going to wrap a tube around it, use a bicycle tube. Might have to get one from a mountain bike to get a larger size tube. bike tub is much thinner, so it's more flexible and will clamp tighter.
But will a bike tube fit around the motor as well. Suggested Auto tube size so the skirt would cover motor as well so water from above drains down the skirt and not coming into contact with seal where shaft enters motor/gearbox. Granted have not looked close at one in a while so I may well be miss interpreting which end of shaft the seal is that eventually lets water in. Is the potential leak not at motor/box end but at the opposite end of hollow shaft?

Last edited:

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
There have been a couple of threads about the shaft seal leaking on linear actuators. The actuator either fills up with water and freezes or fails. Maybe your rubber seal in the picture will be better, but I followed the suggested resolution and installed mine with the motor up and the shaft down.
How long have you had it that way? How is it working for you? How often do you use it? I reallllly want something that will work again.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
How long have you had it that way? How is it working for you? How often do you use it? I reallllly want something that will work again.
I installed the linear actuator late last year and have used it maybe 4 times. Works great so far. If you want more information you might do a search on linear actuators on OTT, MyTractorForum, and on TractorByNet. You will have to sort through a number of threads to find the ones that talk about the shaft leakage.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I just fired the old gal up and hauled in a load of fire wood DAYUM that wind is chilly:eek:

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Just jump started my red truck with my orange tractor. Surprised the heck out of me, didn't take long at all. My truck is known for draining the battery, and it's been sitting there since spring, probably. Maybe some time in the summer. Luckily I have the block heater on the tractor, otherwise I probably would have had to plug in the tractor to charge IT, then run it over to the truck to jump that.. Oh well, good to go now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I installed the linear actuator late last year and have used it maybe 4 times. Works great so far. If you want more information you might do a search on linear actuators on OTT, MyTractorForum, and on TractorByNet. You will have to sort through a number of threads to find the ones that talk about the shaft leakage.
That is what happened to mine :mad:

dr stuart

Equipment
l 45
Dec 30, 2015
bothell wa.
Moved 10 yards of rock to increse parking area and had a strange thing happen tractor stoped running and did not code anything on panel acted like it was out of fuel showed 3 bars on fuel was at a angle so rolled to flater area tried to restart no go filled tank with fuel bled lines and started up fine guess the angle was to great for fuel pick up seemed like it should have shown on panel oh well live and learn. My machinre is a L 45 only have 17 hours on it so far very happy Have an older B 20 that has been a total workhorse never let me down Oh yea forgot to say when i finished i hosed the dirt off and found that i had bent a plate that is designed to protect the hydro pump it is made out of eighth in metal think ill fab some quater plate and replace next week

Last edited:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
bent a plate that is designed to protect the hydro pump it is made out of eighth in metal think ill fab some quater plate and replace next week
Since you haven't done it yet, I'd suggest a 3/16" (or whatever is thicker than 1/4" that you can lay your hands on). Quarter is a small step up from an eighth and may not be strong enough -- unless maybe you know what it is that bent your guard...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Shaun, you're confusing me.

1/4" plate is twice as thick as 1/8th". 3/16" is 1/16" less then 1/4".

You been in skeets Coors?

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
I just checked it 32F in Georgia, Shaun is probably into something stronger than Coors. :D

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 21, 2014
Since you haven't done it yet, I'd suggest a 3/16" (or whatever is thicker than 1/4" that you can lay your hands on). Quarter is a small step up from an eighth and may not be strong enough -- unless maybe you know what it is that bent your guard...
Shaun, you're confusing me.

1/4" plate is twice as thick as 1/8th". 3/16" is 1/16" less then 1/4".

You been in skeets Coors?
I just checked it 32F in Georgia, Shaun is probably into something stronger than Coors. :D
Ahem. Well... oh, skip it! <blush>

It seemed like it was a lot colder than 32° -- even had a space heater going. And no, I haven't done anything nasty enough to be put on Coors. And yes, GF, it was a lot stronger than Coors (but municipal water supplies are as well, so?)

What my brain was trying to communicate was to go AT LEAST 1/16" thicker (3/16"), and ideally 1/4" or better... But 1/4" is pretty easily bent on my B6100... Personally, I've begun saving every piece of 3/8" I find, no matter how odd-shaped it is, just for situations like this.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Ahem. Well... oh, skip it! <blush>

It seemed like it was a lot colder than 32° -- even had a space heater going. And no, I haven't done anything nasty enough to be put on Coors. And yes, GF, it was a lot stronger than Coors (but municipal water supplies are as well, so?)

What my brain was trying to communicate was to go AT LEAST 1/16" thicker (3/16"), and ideally 1/4" or better... But 1/4" is pretty easily bent on my B6100... Personally, I've begun saving every piece of 3/8" I find, no matter how odd-shaped it is, just for situations like this.
Us retirees got to stick together, don't worry about 1/16" and only drink single malt below 32F. That's why I live in northern Michigan sometimes it doesn't get above 32F for months at a time. Sitting on the porch watching the river freeze from the bottom up drinking single malt it doesn't get any better than that.;). ;):rolleyes::D