What did you do to or on your Kubota today?

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
I have a gin pole for the bucket as well. The issue was the weight of the lift.

Interesting you mounted the winch in the end of your gin pole. That reduces the lift weight a lot compared to having the winch at the FEL end. Also makes for a very long power lead.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a gin pole for the bucket as well. The issue was the weight of the lift.

Interesting you mounted the winch in the end of your gin pole. That reduces the lift weight a lot compared to having the winch at the FEL end. Also makes for a very long power lead.
3000lb winch didn't care about lifting the trusses in the least!

Independent battery attached to the Forklift frame (forks removed) and I already have #1 copper tripleplex with anderson connectors on the ends to run it.
That winch has seen many different jobs and many different configurations over the years.
The reason for the winch was to be able to gently pick up and set trusses.

Like I said much better than a standard gin pole setup, which on a loader is very jerky at best.

Dunbar

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 LA525 QA PFL2042 Forks RCR1860 FDR1672 BB1560 EA55 WR Grapple FitRite TnT
Aug 2, 2018
Texas
Awesome mountain man engineering there Wolfman.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I used this converted 3PT boom pole that slid over the forks to set the trusses on our garage. The top of the walls are at 10'. I was surprised how well the L3901DT handle the weight that far in front of it when getting the trusses through the "door" and then raising them up in place. I had about 1,000 pounds on the 3pt.

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
My dad had this old utility trailer laying around so I took it off his hands, stripped all the wood off, cleaned it up, painted it with tremclad, put all new pressure treated wood on it, lights, and wired in a four pin connector on my L245DT, except both signals are connected to the tractor flashers. Ready for spring cleanup now.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I used this converted 3PT boom pole that slid over the forks to set the trusses on our garage. The top of the walls are at 10'. I was surprised how well the L3901DT handle the weight that far in front of it when getting the trusses through the "door" and then raising them up in place. I had about 1,000 pounds on the 3pt.
Gotta love the Kubota's helping us out so well!:D

My house walls are 8' and trusses are 44 feet wide and 9'6" tall
My garage walls are 10' 3" and the trusses are 39 foot wide and 6'9" tall

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Same reason for the winch on my setup. I have a switch at the winch plus 2 RF remote controls for it as well
Yea I had the RF remote control on my side and was able to wall set them by myself from the tractor seat, I didn't have the luxury of a helper for setting most of the trusses.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
3000lb winch didn't care about lifting the trusses in the least!

Independent battery attached to the Forklift frame (forks removed) and I already have #1 copper tripleplex with anderson connectors on the ends to run it.
That winch has seen many different jobs and many different configurations over the years.
The reason for the winch was to be able to gently pick up and set trusses.

Like I said much better than a standard gin pole setup, which on a loader is very jerky at best.
No one else has commented on Wolfman's home made trusses, so I will. Looking good! Overbuilt if anything, with that 2x6 bottom chord, not that there's anything wrong with that. I built a lot of trusses in my area (30 or 40 barns, shops, and additions) before our local building inspector (who had common sense) retired and a new guy started insisting on something called "engineering", whatever that is. Back in the day, it was widely accepted that a good carpenter knew how to build a roof truss. Overnight, it turned out they were clueless! Some of the buildings I put up are 40+ years old now, in mountain snow and wind, only half have collapsed. Just kidding, none have.

Nowadays I set trusses for a living, among other things, with a 30 ton boom truck with 110' of boom. But I like seeing these home brewed outfits, quite often I get called out on a job and wonder why, they have a tractor sitting right there with a FEL......

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No one else has commented on Wolfman's home made trusses, so I will. Looking good! Overbuilt if anything, with that 2x6 bottom chord, not that there's anything wrong with that. I built a lot of trusses in my area (30 or 40 barns, shops, and additions) before our local building inspector (who had common sense) retired and a new guy started insisting on something called "engineering", whatever that is. Back in the day, it was widely accepted that a good carpenter knew how to build a roof truss. Overnight, it turned out they were clueless! Some of the buildings I put up are 40+ years old now, in mountain snow and wind, only half have collapsed. Just kidding, none have.

Nowadays I set trusses for a living, among other things, with a 30 ton boom truck with 110' of boom. But I like seeing these home brewed outfits, quite often I get called out on a job and wonder why, they have a tractor sitting right there with a FEL......
Thank you! :D
Yea building our house has been fun... yea it's a lot of work, but but fun too.

I put in bids to several truss manufacturers and they sent back engineered drawings and specs, one sent me back a set for 50lb 2x4 top and bottom cord trusses, I was really wondering where they thought I lived... we normally get a lot of wet heavy snow throughout the winter!

The bids came in at $11K+, that shocked me.

The trusses on there are "engineered" for 100+ snow load.
They have no interior wall support either, so 40 foot wide span on house and 35 foot wide span on the garage.
They are as you noticed 2x6 top and bottom cord and all the wood is #1 or better (Select Gold), 90% is Tamarack (Western Larch) very strong wood (nasty splinters) the rest is douglas fir, the wood was stacked and dry cured for 4 years so no wet wood was used and no future warping issues!

The tie plates are glued (Construction Adhesive) stapled (1" a 1.5") and nailed with ring shanks (10d 1 1/2").

The design of the trusses are not "normal" as they allow for 24" or greater of insulation on the top of the outside wall (normally called raised heel trusses) yet leave a 5 1/2" air gap to the roof deck for air over the insulation, this keeps the walls warm and the roof cold.
We are shooting for ~R67 for the ceiling and ~R40 for the walls.

I have about ~3K in material and 3 weeks of my time in the trusses, and they turned out perfect! ;)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We cut and moved brush/trees. Tore down an old hog house and the old chicken coop. Installed my new sawhaul also.

Attachments

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Did you buy or make the chainsaw holder? If you could post another picture or two of it that would be great.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Hauled in the last ash top after pulling the sawlogs out.
Sure bulked up the already sizeable wood pile.
Now comes the real work of blocking and splitting. I probably will be processing that pile for the next year!

Attachments