Ukraine

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
On the positive side at least the media has something to talk about other than covid.

Russia is on a peace keeping mission. Just like Crimea. And the US in Afghanistan and Iraq. There will be a bunch of arm waving over the next 2 years and then everyone will forget because Trump will be back in office.
The idiocy of your comment is breathtaking. Tucker Carlson fan boy?

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Uh oh, let the games begin. Right Wing vs Left Wing. This thread will be short lived. Better get your jabs in quick if you're gonna.

We can pose and philosophize all we want, but the ONLY person that knows what Putin wants is Putin. We will sit in judgement of what he's done after he's done it, and then wonder why we didn't do something to prevent it. This isn't really a surprise. We knew Iraq would invade Kuwait. We let that happen, knowing it. And true to form, the left points at Trump and the right as the root of this incident. Ahem, how's your Prez doing? In less than one year in office, fuel prices have more than doubled. Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

The world has known this invasion was coming for MONTHS, and no one moved to help Ukraine, nor did Ukraine make any decisive or effective choices to avoid the bloodshed. Is it any wonder they're getting the @#$% kicked out of 'em and are screaming for help? Their military probably couldn't beat a good basketball team, so it will become another long-drawn-out guerilla war that will likely end up with the same thing that happened to Russia's forces the first time in Afghanistan. I think history will repeat itself, because Russia didn't learn anything the first time about fighting folks who are protecting their home. They finally just took their ball and went home. Ukraine has had 10 years to build and improve their military and choose an alliance while they were out from under Putin after he gave them the chance. Perhaps he's just proving his point, that he thinks he can rebuild the USSR. I don't think he'll have the internal support of the people that he needs. Yeah, a lot of 'em will go to Gulags, but he can't send 'em all.

Just playing devil's advocate, not really voicing my view of the situation.

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine

Civilians, mostly women it seems are sitting outside in Ukraine making molotov cocktails in preperation for a last stand and you guys are talking about local politics?

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Two thoughts from books I read years ago...
1). One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
2). A lion had killed his meal. But a pack of jackals have surrounded the large lion. Every time the Lion tries to take a bite of his catch one of the many jackal runs up an attacks his flank. As he turns to chase that jackal away another jackal goes after the food he caught. Then the Lion turns to defend his catch.... In the end the Lion can't both eat his catch, defend himself and prevent the jackals from stealing his food
(The classic death by a 1,000 cuts).

I agree the world has changed from the post WW2 peace that Europe in particular has enjoyed.
Yes I am aware that there have been several long running proxy wars since WW2 so the entire world has not been at peace...

I do ask this two pronged question that I ask you to consider to yourself....
If you personally were in Ukraine what would you do? As I see the citizens of Ukraine have 3 choices 1) Accept that Russia is going to in command of your life. 2). Flee to another country. 3). Take up whatever measures you are capable of to fight the Russians knowing that it could cost you your life.

The second part of the question is more philosophical... The USA has been imploding into tribalism and infighting. The source and the reason for the increase in tribalism can be debated. But as a country we are our own worse enemy. Our politics is perhaps the best example of this. No longer is it the norm for both the republicans and democrats to work together for the good of the entire nation. But rather it's become a "blood" sport to one up the other side. This has created a vacuum. The likes of China, Russia, Iran and other view this as an opportunity to steal the Lions food....

Now back to the topic of this thread... I'm sure everyone of the Ukrainian citizens that is making a choice right now is making the best choice that they can. But for all of them choosing fight my hat is off for them. I wish them success in pushing back the Russians.... As a song a number of years ago said in it's title... "Praise the lord and pass the ammunition"

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
The second part of the question is more philosophical... The USA has been imploding into tribalism and infighting. The source and the reason for the increase in tribalism can be debated. But as a country we are our own worse enemy. Our politics is perhaps the best example of this. No longer is it the norm for both the republicans and democrats to work together for the good of the entire nation. But rather it's become a "blood" sport to one up the other side. This has created a vacuum. The likes of China, Russia, Iran and other view this as an opportunity to steal the Lions food....
You, sir, have hit the nail squarely on the head!

I would only amend this slightly, and that is to say that our politicians (BOTH Republican and Democrats), are this country's worst enemies, more so than the common people. All those people in Congress swore upon the Bible allegiance to the United States. Instead, their allegiance is to their respective political parties and to lining their own pockets.

Reactions: 3 users

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Not our problem. They’re not a member of NATO and I’m tired of us being the world police.
Your words are exactly the same as those spoken by the America first isolationists in the 1930s, referring to Adolf Hitler and Mousollini.

Reactions: 1 users

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
The thug Putin can't fight a war without money. Give US oil/gas industry permits on Fed land,' fracking permits, pipeline permits etc and get the price down killing the Russkie money supply. There is other monetary sanctions also .
I don't think Putin will stop in just Ukraine. He will pause a while before rolling into Poland to get a better feal for what the world won't do to stop him. He is cut from old hard line commies and wants the whole world

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Since Putin wants to bring the war to another country, it is time to bring the war to him so he can't sit back and watch his show. ⚰

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The thug Putin can't fight a war without money. Give US oil/gas industry permits on Fed land,' fracking permits, pipeline permits etc and get the price down killing the Russkie money supply. There is other monetary sanctions also .
I don't think Putin will stop in just Ukraine. He will pause a while before rolling into Poland to get a better feal for what the world won't do to stop him. He is cut from old hard line commies and wants the whole world
US oil companies already have 26 million acres of oil and gas permits on federal lands to drill. If they aren’t drilling there, it’s due to economic factors.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
US oil companies already have 26 million acres of oil and gas permits on federal lands to drill. If they aren’t drilling there, it’s due to economic factors.

Uh oh, let the games begin. Right Wing vs Left Wing. This thread will be short lived. Better get your jabs in quick if you're gonna.

We can pose and philosophize all we want, but the ONLY person that knows what Putin wants is Putin. We will sit in judgement of what he's done after he's done it, and then wonder why we didn't do something to prevent it. This isn't really a surprise. We knew Iraq would invade Kuwait. We let that happen, knowing it. And true to form, the left points at Trump and the right as the root of this incident. Ahem, how's your Prez doing? In less than one year in office, fuel prices have more than doubled. Be careful what you ask for, you may just get it.

The world has known this invasion was coming for MONTHS, and no one moved to help Ukraine, nor did Ukraine make any decisive or effective choices to avoid the bloodshed. Is it any wonder they're getting the @#$% kicked out of 'em and are screaming for help? Their military probably couldn't beat a good basketball team, so it will become another long-drawn-out guerilla war that will likely end up with the same thing that happened to Russia's forces the first time in Afghanistan. I think history will repeat itself, because Russia didn't learn anything the first time about fighting folks who are protecting their home. They finally just took their ball and went home. Ukraine has had 10 years to build and improve their military and choose an alliance while they were out from under Putin after he gave them the chance. Perhaps he's just proving his point, that he thinks he can rebuild the USSR. I don't think he'll have the internal support of the people that he needs. Yeah, a lot of 'em will go to Gulags, but he can't send 'em all.

Just playing devil's advocate, not really voicing my view of the situation.
I agree with your assessment of the situation. But it’s not just left vs right wing. I’m a centrist and despise them both.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . .
I think Putin should be put on trail, aka Nuremburg, and declared a war criminal. Even if it is in absentia. Thousands of people are going to die solely because of his empire building. And you can bet China is watching to see how the world will react; Taiwan may be the next to suffer.
He is such a danger to the entire world I wonder why someone doesn't pull a 'Mossad like' operation and end him with a 'natural looking' death.

No one takes credit. The world doesn't know for sure and he is gone.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
The idiocy of your comment is breathtaking. Tucker Carlson fan boy?
Nope. Nor would I vote for a racist, misogynist bigot with three failed marriages - or a self made man who inherited his millions and yet went bankrupt four times.

Russia will steam roller Ukraine and install it's own puppet regime. All the brow beating in the world won't change Putin's behaviour. And in 2 years the news will be nothing but the next US election.

I'd bet on that. Set your calendar to do a follow up posting in 2 years time.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Not our problem. They’re not a member of NATO and I’m tired of us being the world police.
You need to read the Budapest Memoranda and then decide if we have no duty? They gave up their nuclear weapons based on the agreement of protection and recognition as a nation.

Reactions: 7 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
This guy has serious big ones! For a guy who is probably going to accidentally killed by the Russians, when offered a way to escape the Ukraine by the US:
Zelensky quote
“the fight is here” and that he needed anti-tank ammunition, “not a ride.”

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I completely agree that I don't think he's going to stop at just taking Ukraine.
But I don't think he's foolish or stupid enough to try doing anything on or near Poland, as being a NATO country, it would give quite a few countries the "legal right" to kick them back to the stone age.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
He is such a danger to the entire world I wonder why someone doesn't pull a 'Mossad like' operation and end him with a 'natural looking' death.

No one takes credit. The world doesn't know for sure and he is gone.
Putin was fond of poisoning his enemies underwear. Sound like a great option for the CIA.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Nope. Nor would I vote for a racist, misogynist bigot with three failed marriages - or a self made man who inherited his millions and yet went bankrupt four times.

Russia will steam roller Ukraine and install it's own puppet regime. All the brow beating in the world won't change Putin's behaviour. And in 2 years the news will be nothing but the next US election.

I'd bet on that. Set your calendar to do a follow up posting in 2 years time.
I agree!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

interesting article on Putins Long game
Very good points. Ukraine has natural resources, including food production capabilities, that Russia wants. I don't agree that no one noticed while the elections here were manipulated etc., my teeth were ground down at all the times that kind of thing was evident. Breaks my heart to see all the times infighting is promoted over collaboration.

Had a nightmare the other night that Russian tanks were bivouacked in my back pasture and I was trying to organize the neighbors into a resistance force (?!!!).