Udt vs sudt2 vs chevron vs JT-5 mystic

jayfrank5074

Equipment
B7500
Dec 30, 2014
Bailey, MS
I need help deciding what oil to use in my Kubota equipment

I have a B7500 with front loader and i just acquired a ZD21

When i got the B7500 I immediately change the hydro fluid(150 hrs) to Kubota UDT(what they sold me local) I noticed the hydro makes more “whine” than the day i got it.

A few months later I swapped it out for Chevron all weather THF synthetic(i did not change the filters, just the oil) to no difference in the whine. Fast forward a few years...I have a cylinder leaking on the loader, fixed it and put in the remainder UDT i had. Obviously it is as noisy as before.

I don’t technically have a problem with the oil, but the noise bothers me.

I live in mid Mississippi, so most use is warm to hot weather. Loading and dirt moving behind the primary uses. I seldom use to cut grass.

now the ZD21 i just got, so i plan to service it very soon. The hydro’s are very quiet. The guy i got it from doesnt know what’s in it. I found a service manual that states it came with sudt. These were notorious for trans problems, but this one has the updated expansion tank and supposed news transmissions 100 or so hours ago.

I called a local Kubota dealer to price SUDT2, and they dont even stock it, only UDT.
I have another dealer i will call when they open up.
I have 2.5 gallons of UDT and 2 Gallons of mystic JT5 now.

I dont know what to use. My feelings are SUDT2 because i hear its a magic elixir to quiet down hydros and if you look up both machines on Messicks, they only list sudt2 for them. BUT this local dealer doesnt even stock it, Makes me wonder.

I would have to order more Chevron All weather, but it was no quieter than the UDT(I hate the smell of UDT). I dont necessarily mind spending $100 on 5 gallons of oil, but i also don’t want to if i will see no benefit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The S-UDT2 is not a magic elixir .....but I will tell you this, is DID lower the whine on the 200 hours BX25D......

As these pumps are designed to do more and work harder than older pumps - the oil that is placed in it is super important.

the mystic JT5 is not synthetic - it is a direct "equal" to Kubota UDT

Reason I mention the JT5 not being synthetic is that the S-UDT2 is synthetic, now there are those that swear by synthetics and there are those that say, "the other stuff works well enough per unit of cost and I dont see anything wrong with it"

Viscosity and endurance is where synthetics shine - they do not "lube" per say better, they just do it longer and more effectively. The bottom line is a synthetic oil will hold up longer and since it is a smaller molecule, it will get in between the surfaces a little better.

In diesel engines - most like the Shell Rotella T6 5W-40.....again, a very lightweight oil, low viscosity and fully synthetic and added modifiers.

You will never notice a whine difference unit another oil is placed in there, that is not the same as what IS in there!;)

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
In gear drive tractors, the hydro fluid may not be as important.

However, In a Kubota HST, I would use NOTHING but the Synthetic UDT.

My MX had std UDT and I just performed the 400 hr. service (actually 324 hr) and used the synthetic UDT. I have never had a whining issue but the hydro tranny seems to operate more smoothly.

Kubota fluids/filters are expensive but substitute hydraulic/transmission oil at your own peril.

Reactions: 1 user

JWool

Equipment
B2650HSDC FEL & Front Snow Blower, ZT-Z421, GL11000 Generator
Dec 29, 2013
Northern MI
I changed from OEM hydraulic fluid super UDT2 to Amsoil and mine became quieter so far?
I am not pushing Amsoil just stating my results.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
"I called a local Kubota dealer to price SUDT2, and they dont even stock it, only UDT. "

I wanted to check the price difference between UDT and SUDT and it seemed like my local dealer had never even heard of it let alone stock it.

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I live a little further south than you. When I performed the 50 hour service on my BX I used the SUDT2 and the hydro whine almost went away. Local dealer here in Poplarville stocks the SUDT2. You local dealer should be able to get you some.

jayfrank5074

Equipment
B7500
Dec 30, 2014
Bailey, MS
I live a little further south than you. When I performed the 50 hour service on my BX I used the SUDT2 and the hydro whine almost went away. Local dealer here in Poplarville stocks the SUDT2. You local dealer should be able to get you some.

I have 2 dealers local, later that day, I called the closest and they carry it. The parts guy acted like it doesn’t sell very well.

BUT they did have it in stock.

I think I will go with SUDT2 the next change in the B7500, the ZD21 I will change soon as I just got it.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Run down to the local TSC or your closest auto part store and get the cheapest hydraulic fluid you can get. It'll work.

Side note: I love working on tractors.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
For those who may not understand, what Lugbolt just stated was tongue in cheek, sarcastic, and DON'T DO IT.

See his last sentence? He likes working on them, and he or someone will if you do what he mentioned. Use the proper lubrication.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
For those who may not understand, what Lugbolt just stated was tongue in cheek, sarcastic, and DON'T DO IT.

See his last sentence? He likes working on them, and he or someone will if you do what he mentioned. Use the proper lubrication.
Actually, Lugbolt is correct with his that “It Will Work”. It is just a big unknown how long it will work before it fails from improper lubrication.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
You did good, D2Cat. A lot of people can not pick up on sarcasm. :D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
In gear drive tractors, the hydro fluid may not be as important.
This still makes me chuckle. It's been seen by many that SUDT2 makes a huge difference in the HST tractors. Why do people think it's not important in a gear drive? :eek:

It's the life blood of the tranny and a gear drive has more moving parts to protect than a HST does. Why choose to protect one and ignore the other. :confused:

That kind of like taking your kids to MCD for a happy meal. One gets the food and the other gets the trash that's left over. :D

And if SUDT2 is hard to find you can always look at Amsoil. Their THF is full synthetic and works great in our tractors.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
This still makes me chuckle. It's been seen by many that SUDT2 makes a huge difference in the HST tractors. Why do people think it's not important in a gear drive? :eek:

It's the life blood of the tranny and a gear drive has more moving parts to protect than a HST does. Why choose to protect one and ignore the other. :confused:

That kind of like taking your kids to MCD for a happy meal. One gets the food and the other gets the trash that's left over. :D

And if SUDT2 is hard to find you can always look at Amsoil. Their THF is full synthetic and works great in our tractors.
How did YOU evaluate the "huge difference"?

Hear say and anecdote is suspect.

So you quiet a whining hydro. Does that mean , without compromise, that the unit will perform better and last longer? ...???

I've got some "show me" state in me.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
How did YOU evaluate the "huge difference"?

So you quiet a whining hydro. Does that mean , without compromise, that the unit will perform better and last longer? ...???

I've got some "show me" state in me.
Because when I drained the SUDT out of all 3 of my new tractors I could not only tell a difference in sound but the function of the machine is all together smoother even in the summer.

How about my L3000 tranny runs up to 70 degrees cooler with my 6' finish mower in heavy grass.

How about my Bushhog would free spin 2x longer after changing to synthetic oil.

How about the gear boxes on my bushhogs before would get hot enough to burn you and now I can lay my hand on them after cutting for hours and it's just warm.

How about this, if you want the real "show me" you need to try Amsoil so you can see for yourself. It's the only way to actually see the real difference. I can tell you stories all day but to a "show me " person it's never enough.

Pick anything you want and put Amsoil fluid in. It doesn't matter if it's a tractor or your weedeater. It will make some difference even if it's just fuel economy. Now before you come back remember this is a "Show Me" thing so until you try Amsoil for yourself you really have no real info to base any kind of opinion on.

So give it a try and Show me what you're made of.

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

The short answer is:

unequivocally yes
bet you bottom dollar on it

as for "hear say" - that is term used when it is someone's opinion.......

but when thousands of independent test are run, and run again and on oil comes out on top......hard to call it "hear say"

here is a good ol' film on the history of AMSOIL and SYNTHETIC and anyone that listens to this will understand the concept better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZgXzbb_oes

even ol Bobby Unser "rear end lasted longer!!!!":D:p

jayfrank5074

Equipment
B7500
Dec 30, 2014
Bailey, MS
I bought the sudt2. It was $57 something for 2.5 gallons.

I will probably get another when I change the tractor again.

It won’t be enough though. The ZD21 will hold close to 2 gallons, the B7500 holds 3.3 gallons.