Tractor Purchase Not Working Out, Getting Stressed

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I feel for ya CW I really do, this kinda crap shouldn't happen to anyone but this thread now reminds me of that old saying "you can lead a horse to water". I wish you all the best my friend but remember you only get one chance to make this right, once you say ok to your stealer you have to live with it.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
This is crazy. Time is not your friend! You need to get this fixed immediately. The longer you have possession of the tractor, the more it becomes “yours”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditchdigger54

Equipment
B2601 FEL, Box Blade, snow plow, Home made Balast box
Dec 10, 2019
Southbury, Connecticut
I’m a new owner myself.
Waiting is never fun! I ordered a new car some years ago. Dealer told me 8-10 weeks. It took 4 months before I got it. When I did get, I was the most fun I’ve ever had with a car!
However, if this dealer isn’t forth coming with anything soon, I’d be asking for my deposit back. There are plenty other Kubota dealers. I’m sure the exact tractor you want is just sitting somewhere waiting to be snatched up.

I wish you luck!
Ditch

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
It looks like that tractor has been cobbled together from multiple sources. The suspicious areas where there is rust and such near the bolts is very indicative of parts being swapped between machines. The ill fitting loader and everything you pointed out in the video just further points to the machine being a Frankenstein.

As you mentioned in your video now that you are in the winter you won't use the tractor much. Return it to the dealer, tear up the contract, and walk away. Take a couple weeks off and then start fresh. JD, Kubota, Case, MF or Kioti what matters most is you can trust your dealer and that he treats you fairly. This one has proven he is not to be trusted.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I agree with jkcolo.

You need to take that thing back and/ or call the dealer ASAP. They may tell you to pound sand since it***8217;s been used though.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I agree with jkcolo.

You need to take that thing back and/ or call the dealer ASAP. They may tell you to pound sand since it***8217;s been used though.

In which case, you need to escalate to corporate. Possibly even a lawyer, but hopefully not because I’d hate to see you spend money to get this problem fixed. However, you may need someone to look into consumer finance laws (if you financed) or lemon laws in your state. If this tractor was pieced together (as it definitely appears to be), this is probably a fraudulent transaction.

Show your dealer the video. The time for being polite and worrying about hurting his feelings is OVER.

Wolfman— are you able to see if his serial numbers match up as a fully assembled unit from the factory?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman— are you able to see if his serial numbers match up as a fully assembled unit from the factory?
No I'm not, which is a little disturbing to me.
Maybe just a fluke with that model or series, but highly suspect given the details and the condition of the unit.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
IMHO people are far to kind to these dealers. Dealers are like girlfriends. Once she cheats on you, how happy are you really gonna be and how much will you really trust her even if you somehow manage to get back together?

Location to me is a null point. Think of how much hassle this has been. It has already eclipsed any inconvenience driving your tractor around for service. Every part can be ordered online and doesnt require someone at the dealer punching numbers into a computer screen for you.

Even if dealers are 100% valuable, this one is NOT and will never be.

My response after all this would be scorched earth. You tell them to take it back and get out of the contact or this thread, your video and their reputation will be smeared far and wide. Let them know you'll lawyer up, post 100% of their information online along with a timeline of their level of service and what you received and that it will stay permanently attached to their (and indirectly, Kubota's) reputation. They dont deserve your kindness or your kid gloves because they clearly havent offered any of that respect to you.

These guys sell tractors. Period. They arent your doctor, your trusted confidant or your friend. The second they stop providing the services that they literally exist to provide, they should be treated accordingly and as many people as possible should know.

Its not petty revenge. Its a service to the community that may prevent someone else from going through the same thing.

Its amazing how quickly things move when you take the kid gloves off and put yourself back in control. If nothing else is motivating them, I'd overtly threaten them with legal action, escalation to national/global Kubota and viral reputation crushing documentation.

IMHO people are far too kind to those that they pay to provide goods or a service and fail to deliver. Think about it. They are a kubota dealer. Your request was to give them YOUR money and their ONLY job was to provide you a new, working tractor. They not only failed to do that but it clearly seems they did so fraudulently AND did it in an unreasonably long time over their original quote. Where's the recourse? Why would they treat a single customer any different unless they are called to task at some point?

My local dealer sucked across the board in my buying attempts and I have made it very public who they are and how things went. I've had at least 4 people PM me about the experience from the area and I directed all of them elsewhere. If they had simply done their job they'd have sold me one and I've have referred those 4 more. Instead they didnt get my sale, missed those 4 sales and anyone who searches for their name or Kubota in my area will eventually stumble upon how they acted and hopefully go elsewhere.

I hold grudges so I be sure to wear their competitor's hat when I go in to buy parts. If they offer to order anything, I tell them I'll go online and walk out. Oh well!

Last edited:

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I watched most of the vid.

You can email corporate with your serial number and they will tell you exactly when the machine was sold, not rolled off assembly line. It absolutely appears to have sat on a lot for extended time in the sun. Not ideal...

The subframe bushings all have that goofy rust circle. Its how they are powder coated at the factory. Any BX23, BX24, BX25D up to our BX23S will have that stupid bare spot that makes you think a different bushing should be there.

I would give Dealer a short leash to make it right, otherwise he can come collect it off your property and refund and money you have tied into it and go somewhere else. Or, at minimum, offer a reasonable resolution...

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
I would give Dealer a short leash to make it right, otherwise he can come collect it off your property and refund and money you have tied into it and go somewhere else. Or, at minimum, offer a reasonable resolution...

If this is a Frankenstein, the only resolution is a new tractor, which the dealer seems terrible at actually obtaining. The bummer is that this dealer probably got scammed by the 3rd party dealer that he got it from. This makes the whole situation a lot more complicated for both the OP and his dealer.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
UPDATE:
My dealer came by yesterday afternoon to look over the tractor. He got there a few minutes before I did, and when I walked up he was already apologizing. We went over the tractor pretty thoroughly, and my dealer took a lot of photos of rust and other things. He also couldn't remove and reconnect the loader without getting off and shoving the loader arm into place with his shoulder. He didn't give me one bit of 'it's a tractor, it's supposed to be rusty' or anything like that. He said that he should have personally looked it over more closely before delivery. He said the other dealer (turned out to be a different company, not another dealership in his company) "basically lied" to him. He said he needs to take this to Kubota and see what they want to do, but he's going to push hard to get me a brand new tractor (the quality control issue that was stopping shipment of new BX23S's might still be an issue though).

I haven't heard from my dealer today. He did mention that one issue is that there is no area Kubota rep available right now (maybe he's out of the country or something, I can't recall). So I guess whomever my dealer would normally go to on these kinds of issues, can't be got at the moment.

I have not handed over any money at this point. The night my dealer delivered the tractor, he had me sign a simple invoice stating that I was buying the tractor and that we would enter into the Kubota financing agreement soon (adding the implements as well). Maybe I'm the fool, but I don't feel that it is likely that anyone will force me to keep/pay for this tractor. I'm more concerned that situation is in limbo and I still don't have a working tractor/implement solution going forward.

It has been 2 business days since I first contacted Kubota using their online contact form, and I haven't gotten a reply. Last night I emailed some other Kubota people, but none of them responded to me today. I find this lack of response on Kubota's end rather bothersome.

At this point, my mind is less focused on this particular tractor deal and more focused on the idea that choosing Kubota was a mistake. I'm going to shoot an email to the John Deere dealer I met with a couple times to let him know what happened, and see where he's at on inventory and price.

Here's the funny part of the story: turns out the dealer that pawned this lemon over to my dealer, was the next dealer in line if I was going to switch to a different dealer.

Here are the Kubota contacts I was able to find:

Todd Stucke – Senior Vice President, Marketing, Product Support & Strategic Projects
Email: todd.stucke@kubota.com
Phone: 310-294-0877

Alex Woods – Vice President, Sales Operations, Supply Chain & Parts
Email: alex.woods@kubota.com
Phone: 817-532-3875

Jon Cheek - National Accounts Manager
Email: jon.cheek01@kubota.com, jon.cheek@kubota.com
Phone: 817-532-3875, 817-914-2055

Mike Spillars - National Accounts Business Development Manger at Kubota tractor Corporation
Email: mike.spillars@kubota.com
Phone: 817-532-5592 or 817-756-1171
Cell: 817-915-2743

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Email a link to each of those Kubota v.p.'s etc., a link to this thread. That will get their attention quickly. No company wants bad publicity like this, and they will most likely register, and tell everyone how they are going to make it right. If they don't, this will become a blemish on the Kubota reputation.

Dvan

Equipment
Kubota L2501- LA525 Loader- RCR1260 Rotary mower- BB1260 Box Blade- RB1672 Blade
Sep 28, 2019
Parker, Colorado
IMHO people are far to kind to these dealers. Dealers are like girlfriends. Once she cheats on you, how happy are you really gonna be and how much will you really trust her even if you somehow manage to get back together?

Location to me is a null point. Think of how much hassle this has been. It has already eclipsed any inconvenience driving your tractor around for service. Every part can be ordered online and doesnt require someone at the dealer punching numbers into a computer screen for you.

Even if dealers are 100% valuable, this one is NOT and will never be.

My response after all this would be scorched earth. You tell them to take it back and get out of the contact or this thread, your video and their reputation will be smeared far and wide. Let them know you'll lawyer up, post 100% of their information online along with a timeline of their level of service and what you received and that it will stay permanently attached to their (and indirectly, Kubota's) reputation. They dont deserve your kindness or your kid gloves because they clearly havent offered any of that respect to you.

These guys sell tractors. Period. They arent your doctor, your trusted confidant or your friend. The second they stop providing the services that they literally exist to provide, they should be treated accordingly and as many people as possible should know.

Its not petty revenge. Its a service to the community that may prevent someone else from going through the same thing.

Its amazing how quickly things move when you take the kid gloves off and put yourself back in control. If nothing else is motivating them, I'd overtly threaten them with legal action, escalation to national/global Kubota and viral reputation crushing documentation.

IMHO people are far too kind to those that they pay to provide goods or a service and fail to deliver. Think about it. They are a kubota dealer. Your request was to give them YOUR money and their ONLY job was to provide you a new, working tractor. They not only failed to do that but it clearly seems they did so fraudulently AND did it in an unreasonably long time over their original quote. Where's the recourse? Why would they treat a single customer any different unless they are called to task at some point?

My local dealer sucked across the board in my buying attempts and I have made it very public who they are and how things went. I've had at least 4 people PM me about the experience from the area and I directed all of them elsewhere. If they had simply done their job they'd have sold me one and I've have referred those 4 more. Instead they didnt get my sale, missed those 4 sales and anyone who searches for their name or Kubota in my area will eventually stumble upon how they acted and hopefully go elsewhere.

I hold grudges so I be sure to wear their competitor's hat when I go in to buy parts. If they offer to order anything, I tell them I'll go online and walk out. Oh well!

This is the correct answer

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I know I am not close to you but a dealer near me is showing 7 BX23s.

jkcolo22

Equipment
BX25D
Jan 5, 2017
Castle Rock, Colorado
This sounds encouraging. Keep following up. Even if you talk by phone, send a follow-up email with a summary of your understanding and what the dealer promised as next steps.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Email a link to each of those Kubota v.p.'s etc., a link to this thread. That will get their attention quickly. No company wants bad publicity like this, and they will most likely register, and tell everyone how they are going to make it right. If they don't, this will become a blemish on the Kubota reputation.
I emailed them a 3 page letter detailing my whole experience. It includes a link to my video and a link to this thread.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It sounds to me like your dealer is actually going to address it. I'd give him time to do that before jumping. Getting out of this deal is possible, but easier when he's failed to deliver than when he's still working on it.

I know that others think you should jump now, but I tend to like to give people a bit more of a chance. Realistically until he came out, he thought he'd done great work for you. Sure, Kubota were slow to deliver, but he went and found you the tractor you wanted, he took you out to see the broom at a previous buyer's place, he got you the tractor quickly once it came from the other dealer. Until yesterday, in his world, he'd done everything right and you were happy.

So, realistically, he's only been working on fixing this for 1 maybe 2 days. I know it feels longer for you. But that's the reality. And you've already worked out that you're not going to get any work done with it this season anyway. So a few days for him to have a chance to make it right is not unreasonable. And if he can make it right, that means you don't have to have the big argument about pulling out of the deal.

Again, there's nothing wrong with Kubota per se, and nothing wrong with this dealer (as yet). There's just a really unfortunate set of circumstances that will take a little time to work through. So your original decision to buy Kubota isn't invalid, and changing tractor will put you back to square 1 plus a big argument to get out of what you've started with Kubota.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
It sounds to me like your dealer is actually going to address it. I'd give him time to do that before jumping. Getting out of this deal is possible, but easier when he's failed to deliver than when he's still working on it.

I know that others think you should jump now, but I tend to like to give people a bit more of a chance. Realistically until he came out, he thought he'd done great work for you. Sure, Kubota were slow to deliver, but he went and found you the tractor you wanted, he took you out to see the broom at a previous buyer's place, he got you the tractor quickly once it came from the other dealer. Until yesterday, in his world, he'd done everything right and you were happy.

So, realistically, he's only been working on fixing this for 1 maybe 2 days. I know it feels longer for you. But that's the reality. And you've already worked out that you're not going to get any work done with it this season anyway. So a few days for him to have a chance to make it right is not unreasonable. And if he can make it right, that means you don't have to have the big argument about pulling out of the deal.

Again, there's nothing wrong with Kubota per se, and nothing wrong with this dealer (as yet). There's just a really unfortunate set of circumstances that will take a little time to work through. So your original decision to buy Kubota isn't invalid, and changing tractor will put you back to square 1 plus a big argument to get out of what you've started with Kubota.
I agree that the 'jump ship now' sentiment feels a bit hasty and destructive. I would also rather give them a chance to set everything right. If they're willing to fix everything and throw some free implements my way to patch things up, then I shouldn't be burning bridges so readily.

You have stated a few things that aren't correct though. After I complained, my dealer did say he'd noticed some of the sun fading when the tractor came in, and that he was "unimpressed" with the other dealer. He was either too laid back about it, and/or crossed his fingers and hoped that I wouldn't notice/care about the aging on the tractor. In either case, I expect he's learned now that such a wager may end up having some blowback. Also, I did not get the tractor quickly once they started the transfer. It still took a couple weeks longer than expected, I think partially because they had to order parts to repair a hydraulic leak, and partially because they just weren't moving as fast as they could.

I agree that changing tractors brings me back to square 1 and I don't much like that. It isn't just the tractor itself, I'd spent a lot of time researching all the Land Pride implements and asking tons of questions here. More than a third of my purchase is/was going to be implements.

I'll feel pretty weird/uncomfortable about moving forward with this whole thing if Kubota corporate doesn't get back to me with something reassuring. I'd hoped in 2 days someone would have at least glanced at my letter and sent a simple 'we're looking into this'. I just forwarded my email/letter to one more person:

Christa Lander is Kubota's Brand Communications Manager - christa.lander@kubota.com is actually just a guess at her email address, based on the format of other Kubota email addresses.

fmgsr

Dec 19, 2018
PA
"If they're willing to fix everything and throw some free implements my way to patch things up"

Chimpy, I don't understand, the very least they must do for you, after all they put you thru, is to take that one back and give you a brand new one plus the EXTRAS. I do believe this is a Frankenstein, and a good dealer and or someone you e mailed in Kubota will discover this by the serial number. And I don't believe they would risk their reputations on something like that. There is just too much to ignore. The dirt on the motor alone says a lot. You showed the NEW 2380's on the lot, how clean were they.
Sit back, see what the dealer comes up with. Or send that one back to him, then wait. Don't jump ship just yet.