Tractor Purchase Not Working Out, Getting Stressed

Oct 24, 2019
IN
Ive not see it before.
Do an advanced search for "show stopper" under user name "DST". 8 results about the BX position control. Not word for word, but it was still funny to me when I saw the phrase pop up in my thread. I'd spent a lot of time reading past threads on this board, so I'd seen the statement several times already. Always from the same person.

DST: not picking on you, I just couldn't help recognizing it.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I have no interest in stalking the guy. I stated I didnt know a difference between the 2 models and he answered me.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Have you posted this exact statement in multiple other threads? I feel like I've seen this exact sentence several times before, word for word.
You betcha.

I would never buy any tractor that does not have position control.

Position control is like a microwave oven or a remote control TV (these days, a cell phone). You may not know that you need it but once having it you will not be without it.

Been doing this far too long to do otherwise.

SDT

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
IN
You betcha.

I would never buy any tractor that does not have position control.

Position control is like a microwave oven or a remote control TV (these days, a cell phone). You may not know that you need it but once having it you will not be without it.

Been doing this far too long to do otherwise.

SDT
Do you think it matters as much for working on very small lots? I could see how if you're working a large field, and on each turnaround you want to lift the implement and then drop it right back where you had it. Doing that a few hundred times surely makes the position control important. Given the option, I would definitely choose position control over quarter inching, but on a small tractor working in very small areas, it just doesn't seem like that feature is all that important. Am I seeing it wrong?

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I was bothered enough by the condition of the tractor that I received that I took the time to make a video about everything.
There are even more issues in the video than I've mentioned here.

I also emailed my dealer about the issues and maybe I'll get an answer soon.
I think tomorrow I'll take the time to write a letter to someone at Kubota.

...sigh

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You're a far more patient man than I!! I wouldn't be able to get that tractor back to them fast enough, shame on that dealer. You paid good money for a new tractor and that's what you should have gotten. Good job on the video and I hope everything works out for you.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The whole storing tractors outside whilst waiting for sale gives me some problems.

On the one hand, cars and trucks are pretty much always stored outside. They don't seem to rust. People park their cars outside for years without material rust on them. Why should a tractor be more prone to rust? Are they just poorly made?

On the other hand, tractor models change less frequently, and some models and some dealers turn over very slowly. A tractor can be a year or two on the lot and still sold as new.

And I don't get why a tractor, which is a heavy duty machine made to work in dirty and damaging conditions, should rust. Looking at your photos, most of the tractor didn't rust. Then a few bits did. What's different about those bits? Why do you make a loader that's all painted or chromed, and then the pins are some sort of mild steel that just rusts out? Seems like you've done 90% of the job, then said "hey, let's just chuck these pins in, so long as the loader itself is shiny nobody'll mind if the pins rust." Why do you have an engine that's all steel and didn't rust, and then there's a shine plate that looks like stainless or chrome at least, and it rusts. What goes on for this to happen?

I would have thought plenty of guys store their tractors outside - not everyone has a shed. And they don't expect them to rust like that, surely?

Bottom line, when I finally get my B2601 (my first brand new tractor), I'll be asking for an actual new one that comes on a truck and they assemble it then deliver it to me. Not a "new" one that nobody's owned before, but has sat on the lot for a couple of years.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
The whole storing tractors outside whilst waiting for sale gives me some problems.

On the one hand, cars and trucks are pretty much always stored outside. They don't seem to rust. People park their cars outside for years without material rust on them. Why should a tractor be more prone to rust? Are they just poorly made?

On the other hand, tractor models change less frequently, and some models and some dealers turn over very slowly. A tractor can be a year or two on the lot and still sold as new.

And I don't get why a tractor, which is a heavy duty machine made to work in dirty and damaging conditions, should rust. Looking at your photos, most of the tractor didn't rust. Then a few bits did. What's different about those bits? Why do you make a loader that's all painted or chromed, and then the pins are some sort of mild steel that just rusts out? Seems like you've done 90% of the job, then said "hey, let's just chuck these pins in, so long as the loader itself is shiny nobody'll mind if the pins rust." Why do you have an engine that's all steel and didn't rust, and then there's a shine plate that looks like stainless or chrome at least, and it rusts. What goes on for this to happen?

I would have thought plenty of guys store their tractors outside - not everyone has a shed. And they don't expect them to rust like that, surely?

Bottom line, when I finally get my B2601 (my first brand new tractor), I'll be asking for an actual new one that comes on a truck and they assemble it then deliver it to me. Not a "new" one that nobody's owned before, but has sat on the lot for a couple of years.
I think a lot of it has to due with the area we live in. For me living on the coast things rust very quick and that is why I bought my own undercoat sprayer. One of the first things I did to my tractor was undercoat it, yes for the salt even though it will never be on a road that has been salted but for the mud as well which is every bit as bad.

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I've been following this thread for a couple of days now and I have to say, I feel for you. What a disappointing experience - one that should have been fun and exciting seems to have turned into a real pain.

I watched your video and I have to say that the plastics on the tractor in that video look like the plastic on my used 2012 BX1860. Same goes with the rust on the seat mechanics. Mine has some slight rusting, but then again it's a number of years old now and I'm pretty sure it was, at some point in its life, stored outside or with minimal cover.

On mine, I find it acceptable since I purchased it used with 200 hours - on yours I'd be getting in touch with the dealer and Kubota. Sorry to hear about your troubles and hoping that it works out in your favor!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Do you think it matters as much for working on very small lots? I could see how if you're working a large field, and on each turnaround you want to lift the implement and then drop it right back where you had it. Doing that a few hundred times surely makes the position control important. Given the option, I would definitely choose position control over quarter inching, but on a small tractor working in very small areas, it just doesn't seem like that feature is all that important. Am I seeing it wrong?
I agree, that it is less valuable on small tractors doing mostly MMM work so long as one is satisfied with a suspended deck.

Still, if one can consider brand A and brand B for approximately the same price, brand A has position control while brand B does not, my choice is obvious.

I expect that you will again find position control on the next redesign of the BX series, at least on a "deluxe" version. JD has brought it back and MF never deleted it. I believe that Kubota will find it necessary to make it available.

SDT

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Watched your video...sorry to hear/see that you've had such an awful experience. It shouldn't be that way. :(

Call the dealer and tell them to come pick it up and get out of your contract. I wouldn't give this dealer any more chances to get it right. You definitely got some old stock tractor that had been sitting out on the yard somewhere. I don't think you'd ever be happy with this deal.

Find another dealer. I'm sure there will be several that would be willing to get you a "NEW" tractor.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
WOW ! That video is worth a MILLON words ! Some I can't say in 'public'. Get the name of MR. Kubota Japan... email HIM the link to your video. Seriously. Also inform him of this 'thread'. Be sure to CC: Mr. KUBUSA. "head office" folks do not take this kind of 'customer service' lightly !!
I know you're 'upset' and 100% righly so. Call the bank, stop the check, call the dealer to come pickup HIS tractor ASAP.
There is NO way you should accept this tractor !

Jay

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
Chimpy I watched the video and the rust makes me wonder if it was salt water exposure that might cause more significant rust than usual.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
I didn't read through all 10 pages but wonder what year your tractor was made in. Maybe it has sat outdoors for a few years in a southern state (hot/sunny) that causes your fading and rusting and dust?

If you look at your serial number you can decode to see date of manufacture. If I remember right first digit is engine code and next two digits give the production year and production month. Someone should chime in if I remember this wrong.

would be interesting to see what year of tractor you have based on manufacture as it could be a first run made in 2017 just sat on someones lot until you bought it?? So new / unsed but made 2 years ago and sat outside in the sun and rain??

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
would be interesting to see what year of tractor you have based on manufacture as it could be a first run made in 2017 just sat on someones lot until you bought it?? So new / unsed but made 2 years ago and sat outside in the sun and rain??
March 2018 manufacture, covered earlier in the thread.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
March 2018 manufacture, covered earlier in the thread.

thanks... just saw the pic's you posted on IMGUR and they were perfect and very clear.....

pic's look about right for a early run 2018 machine that has probably spent 2 full summers sitting outside.

If it was me I would not have bought "stale" inventory from another dealer just for this reason of sitting outside for long periods of time and the fact that if you sold today you would have to advertise it as an early manufacture 2018 (2 year old machine) with low miles.

If you keep it for many years it will not be an issue I think but today you have to realize you bought an almost 2 year old machine..... hopefully this did not come as a surprise. Some rust, fading and dirt/dust from rain on engine is to be expected from almost 2 years of outdoor storage..

Good luck, I have loved every Kubota I have ever owned. They are great machines

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
IN
If it was me I would not have bought "stale" inventory from another dealer just for this reason of sitting outside for long periods of time and the fact that if you sold today you would have to advertise it as an early manufacture 2018 (2 year old machine) with low miles.

If you keep it for many years it will not be an issue I think but today you have to realize you bought an almost 2 year old machine..... hopefully this did not come as a surprise. Some rust, fading and dirt/dust from rain on engine is to be expected from almost 2 years of outdoor storage..
I specifically stated my concern to my dealer about getting old stock and he assured me the machine was new and had only been outside for a couple months. I do think the sun damage is much more than cosmetic - plastics get brittle with sun damage and that means they'll break sooner. I also agree that if I tried to turnaround and sell the machine right now, it's resale value would be substantially lower (thousands of dollars, probably) than an actual new machine. This is my first tractor, I've no idea how long I'll keep it. Maybe I'll want to upgrade after a bit like many other people end up doing, in which case I'll be eating that cost at time of resale.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I specifically stated my concern to my dealer about getting old stock and he assured me the machine was new and had only been outside for a couple months. I do think the sun damage is much more than cosmetic - plastics get brittle with sun damage and that means they'll break sooner. I also agree that if I tried to turnaround and sell the machine right now, it's resale value would be substantially lower (thousands of dollars, probably) than an actual new machine. This is my first tractor, I've no idea how long I'll keep it. Maybe I'll want to upgrade after a bit like many other people end up doing, in which case I'll be eating that cost at time of resale.
It's quite obvious he lied to you, send it back, the sooner the better.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll bet if you dig a little deeper you'll probably find that it's a rebuild from a damage or parts take off unit.

Someone take a look under the hood of their BX23S and tell us if it says BX2380 on valve cover, I find that odd.

If you give us the tractors serial number we might be able to tell you even more info on it.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I'll bet if you dig a little deeper you'll probably find that it's a rebuild from a damage or parts take off unit.

Someone take a look under the hood of their BX23S and tell us if it says BX2380 on valve cover, I find that odd.

If you give us the tractors serial number we might be able to tell you even more info on it.
I'm guessing the large sticker on the frame that says "TYPE BX23S" and "SERIAL NO 22045" will be the correct number for the whole tractor. The engine and probably other parts also have their own serial numbers.

The "BX2380" on the engine is interesting, but do you really think they're deciding which BX variation the engine is going into when they manufacture it? I wonder at what point the assembly line splits and some becomes 2380's and the others become 23S's.

Last edited: