To grapple or not to grapple

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I'm just a short and curly away from pulling the trigger on a new land pride sgc0660 grapple. For years I cleared the trees on the side of my road without the aid of one however old age is creeping up on me and the old body is looking for help. I've read better things about the EA grapple however living here in the north east it would be too costly to consider. The question is do I really need one and is it gonna be that much of a help? I'm thinking even chunking up my fire wood I could lift it up waist high instead of being bent over a back saver for sure. Open to everyone's point of view on this, thanks.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I have an EA grapple and I have that on my tractor more than my bucket. I use it in my woods to carry or push things all the time. I honestly don't know if I would want do some of the things I do without it. I mean, I could manhandle the stuff and get it done, but as you mentioned, I am getting older and I am looking for easier ways to do things. I definitely don't have buyers remorse. Just my 2 cents.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Thank you both. D2Cat you have to remember I'm in Canada where the price is quite a lot more than where you folks are. I got a price of 2800.00 from the dealer which includes the 3rd function and all the plumbing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Once you get a grapple you'll wonder why...and maybe kick your own backside... for not having done it sooner! ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Just the 3rd function is $1000 in the US, plus installation. So if our dollar cost you guys $1.30, your price is pretty good. But now you have to wait until next week!!:D

NewtoOrange

Equipment
L2501
Mar 1, 2017
Pleasant Plains, Il. USA
I am not exactly in the same boat but close enough to chime in. I have settled on a grapple from EA. After a lot of research it seems the best choice. Unfortunately, I did not do enough research on my tractor setup before I bought it so now I have to also get a ssqa system along with the hydraulic setup for the fel and find a welder to transform my pin on bucket to an ssqa type. All that said, I look at the amount of tree work I have ahead of me and the whole age vs. time argument brings me to the "get the grapple" decision. Btw, I thought EA had free shipping within 1000 miles ???

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I am the odd man out here. I have the grapple for my BX25. I think its a complete waste and feel that 2 lightweight forks would be much better. If you spend your time picking up 1 large log at a time they are great. if you want to pick up multiple logs or rocks you will be amazed at how much it sucks doing so.

Did I mention the welds on the LP Grapple broke and the tines bend? -Not a fan.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Wow great input from you all, much appreciated. Yes NewtoOrange they do offer free shipping but that stops at the border. Flienlow I do hear what your saying and I gave the fork idea a lot of thought however a lot of my work will be picking up logs and a lot of brush off the side of my road where I'll be at a forward slant making it more difficult. I did price the pallet forks and they're not all that expensive if you say it fast so who knows they could end up in the yard come spring. D2Cat that is an installed price not that I think I would have any problem doing it myself and also they will do interest free for 48 months which is an attractive option. Gonna be a long weekend.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Got a sixty inch EA double lid grapple for doing the same kind of work you are. Between the grapple and the third function, the investment was approximately 2K. Way cheaper than back surgery (in the US anyway) plus the fun you have when you master the hydraulics.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Got a sixty inch EA double lid grapple for doing the same kind of work you are. Between the grapple and the third function, the investment was approximately 2K. Way cheaper than back surgery (in the US anyway) plus the fun you have when you master the hydraulics.
Well the one thing about living here is we don't pay for surgery however I think I've already used up my allotted amount of thread and staples.:eek:

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Bearbait, in the same boat as you with regards to a grapple.

Seems that very few that post here have buyers remorse after the purchase.

I live in NC so EA is not far at all from me. Love their implements have an EA tater plow, subsoiler, landscape rack and garden bedder. They make excellent equipment.

I cut little wood we do have a barn with a pot belly stove in it that we use 5 or 6 times a year in the winter so 2 or 3 bucket loads covers that.

But, we moved to the family farm 3 years ago and for years very little work done to the property edges along roads, paths, garden area etc. Edges have moved in a lot.

Currently I take Katie wrap 3" straps around privets and other misc. bushes rip them out and drag to burn pile, off and on off and on off and on get the idea.....

So my thought is the grapple would make much quicker and easier work of my clean up of the 13 acres and lots of edges. Grab privets rip up drive to pile dump, repeat.

I would need the 3rd function and grapple and have been looking at the 60' Wicked single lid for my L4600.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Bearbait, in the same boat as you with regards to a grapple.

Seems that very few that post here have buyers remorse after the purchase.

I live in NC so EA is not far at all from me. Love their implements have an EA tater plow, subsoiler, landscape rack and garden bedder. They make excellent equipment.

I cut little wood we do have a barn with a pot belly stove in it that we use 5 or 6 times a year in the winter so 2 or 3 bucket loads covers that.

But, we moved to the family farm 3 years ago and for years very little work done to the property edges along roads, paths, garden area etc. Edges have moved in a lot.

Currently I take Katie wrap 3" straps around privets and other misc. bushes rip them out and drag to burn pile, off and on off and on off and on get the idea.....

So my thought is the grapple would make much quicker and easier work of my clean up of the 13 acres and lots of edges. Grab privets rip up drive to pile dump, repeat.

I would need the 3rd function and grapple and have been looking at the 60' Wicked single lid for my L4600.
Yep, it sure gets to be a lot of work but as long as I'm around to bitch about it it's all good. I see you do have another implement I have on my list, the grading scraper. Currently I do the road work with my back blade but I'm thinking the grader would be the ticket for that and do a far nicer job. Darn I wish my parents hadda been rich.

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
My grapple stays on the tractor most the time since I got it. It’s a couple minute swap if I need the bucket on front. Not having to get off the tractor and chain something to the bucket that won’t fit in the bucket has been a time saver for me. Makes me look more productive than I really am

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I bought a thumb from Green’s Machine and added it to my bucket. Was a much cheaper option and works great. I use it to pick up brush, logs for blocking up firewood, and anything else I can grab onto.
http://greens-machine.com/

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Yep, it sure gets to be a lot of work but as long as I'm around to bitch about it it's all good. I see you do have another implement I have on my list, the grading scraper. Currently I do the road work with my back blade but I'm thinking the grader would be the ticket for that and do a far nicer job. Darn I wish my parents hadda been rich.
The land plane is awesome, once set the rock flows out the rear, you just drive. I have 2 small handles I installed on the 3pt adjustment so I can have stops when I raise and lower. I set the lower one so when I need to turn around I lift and lower 3pt to the stop without looking.

I have about a 1/2 of drive and several large parking areas, most of the roads are 2 vehicle widths takes about 4 hours to level them out, I do it at least once ever 2 months like it smooth.

You would be happy with one I'm sure had mine about 7 years.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
The land plane is awesome, once set the rock flows out the rear, you just drive. I have 2 small handles I installed on the 3pt adjustment so I can have stops when I raise and lower. I set the lower one so when I need to turn around I lift and lower 3pt to the stop without looking.

I have about a 1/2 of drive and several large parking areas, most of the roads are 2 vehicle widths takes about 4 hours to level them out, I do it at least once ever 2 months like it smooth.

You would be happy with one I'm sure had mine about 7 years.
Have you had to replace the blades during the 7 years? Having a mile long driveway should be pretty rough on them. I'm assuming they should be able to be sharpened?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I bought a thumb from Green’s Machine and added it to my bucket. Was a much cheaper option and works great. I use it to pick up brush, logs for blocking up firewood, and anything else I can grab onto.
http://greens-machine.com/
Thanks for the link, I watched the videos and it seems like a great idea, looks like it works great. The problem is by the time I get it here I don't think I'd be any further ahead. Being shipped by UPS the customs and carrying charges would be very steep. UPS is brutal for shipping across the border. :eek::eek: