This Weather Event

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
We were lucky to have one warm day last week: (above freezing, that is)
ND Eave Ice.jpg North Dakota Ice.jpg Eave Icycles.jpg
But now back to -23°F overnight low with a high tomorrow of -6°F .......actual temps.
Next week will be colder yet.

The mosquito count here in North Dakota is dropping fast!!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
been a long time since I looked it up but it pretty sure 20kph below the limit requires us to turn on our 4 way flashers. Tractor they are supposed to be on (well anything with a slow moving vehicle sign) and when I used to heavy haul. They went on till I reached highway speed because you couldn’t always get to 90 or 100 before the end of the on ramp
Lists of states where legal and illegal to drive with them on. Wisconsin and Illinois are on the illegal list. Hazards are required for SMV in all states as those are the rules of the road for AG. Farm equipment falls into a different category than Motor Vehicle, so the rules are different. Except of course for DUI, anything that is motivated, including a horse, falls under that law, especially if you are drunk driving a goat.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I was born and raised in IL and spent a couple years in WI, so know how to drive on it. Its funny to watch people here with a 1/2 inch of snow on the ground 🤣
Back in 1962 I drove my roommate home to Montreal, and there was about an inch of snow on the roads, and those people had no idea how to drive in snow. I couldn't believe it as I drove around all the cars that had spun out and been sideways. He said it is like that at the beginning of every winter.

Last edited:

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I learned to drive in Chicago in a 2 WD LTD Station Wagon. I laugh at all these people getting stuck in their FWD and AWD vehicles while I drive around them in my 2WD F150.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I learned to drive in Chicago in a 2 WD LTD Station Wagon. I laugh at all these people getting stuck in their FWD and AWD vehicles while I drive around them in my 2WD F150.

I drive my 4x4 in 2wd a lot of the time. The new truck has the auto feature so I have been kinda using it a bit. Dont really notice a difference. Where I live a 2wd truck is mostly useless; never get one into the bush for hunting/ fishing. Especially some of the "boat ramps" we use in the summer, and unless you want to walk a few km to go ice fishing good tires and 4x4 is whats needed.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I drive my 4x4 in 2wd a lot of the time. The new truck has the auto feature so I have been kinda using it a bit. Dont really notice a difference. Where I live a 2wd truck is mostly useless; never get one into the bush for hunting/ fishing. Especially some of the "boat ramps" we use in the summer, and unless you want to walk a few km to go ice fishing good tires and 4x4 is whats needed.
Thats why I didn't spend the extra 4K for 4WD, I never use the truck for any of that stuff. With a good set of snow tires and weight in the bed, it is just as good in snow as any 4WD with all seasons, actually better than 4WD. Only thing snows are not good on is black ice, unless they are studded. For anything requiring going into the field, thats what the Superduty is for. My F150 is just my go to work and back comfortably vehicle. My last one was 4WD and I hated it, way too many issues with the front axle. It burned out in less than 30K miles and had to be replaced because the IWE were sticking. My truck before that was a 14 2WD and not one single issue with that truck, but lost it when someone lost control on black ice and slid across in front of me. After all the issues with the truck that replaced it, I went back to RWD and haven't regretted it a day, 3 years later and not a single issue, and not once did I feel I needed 4WD.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia

Three in four weeks. The tractor got here just in time. I do wish I would have gotten the front blade instead of the back blade as my drive way is getting quite narrow and the snow banks on the side are frozen solid. there are deep ditches beyond the snow banks which limit the loaders usefulness. Maybe I will need to put the backhoe on ; )

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Thats why I didn't spend the extra 4K for 4WD, I never use the truck for any of that stuff. With a good set of snow tires and weight in the bed, it is just as good in snow as any 4WD with all seasons, actually better than 4WD. Only thing snows are not good on is black ice, unless they are studded. For anything requiring going into the field, thats what the Superduty is for. My F150 is just my go to work and back comfortably vehicle. My last one was 4WD and I hated it, way too many issues with the front axle. It burned out in less than 30K miles and had to be replaced because the IWE were sticking. My truck before that was a 14 2WD and not one single issue with that truck, but lost it when someone lost control on black ice and slid across in front of me. After all the issues with the truck that replaced it, I went back to RWD and haven't regretted it a day, 3 years later and not a single issue, and not once did I feel I needed 4WD.

The term "all seasons" should be replaced with three season. I run snow tires on my truck 6 months a year and the three seasons for 6 months a year. Where I'm at i can't legally run studded tires. Which i think is BS.. it would be way safer. The MTO (ministry of transportation) always blabs on about safety safety safety... but no studded tires allowed.

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
The term "all seasons" should be replaced with three season. I run snow tires on my truck 6 months a year and the three seasons for 6 months a year. Where I'm at i can't legally run studded tires. Which i think is BS.. it would be way safer. The MTO (ministry of transportation) always blabs on about safety safety safety... but no studded tires allowed.
He dosnt want you to scratch the pavement full of cracks and potholes that's antique pavement!

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I bought these this summer and they are working well this winter maybe not quite as good as the ice x but very close. I hate changing and storing the extra pair of tires and wheels. they have the winter tire rating

1643311266164.png

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I run snow tires in the winter and all season the rest of the year. My dad had lots of 4x2 pickups and he'd run four studded snows in the winter even though it was a 2 wheel drive. I plow my driveway and I have alot to plow. You can't beat Cooper snow tires. I used to run Cooper M&S but being the best tire ever , they discontinued them . So now they've replaced them with the Cooper Snow Claw and thats what I'm running this winter. I've plowed 5 or 6 times and they work very good. My girlfriend runs Cooper TrueNorth snow tires on her subaru in the winter.
This Saturday new england and the east coast is supposed to get a good storm. 12" plus most places and thoses rich bastards with the beach houses are forcasted to get 20".
Canada I believe has a law Snow tires only in the winter. I'm sure our canadian members will weigh in on this.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I run snow tires in the winter and all season the rest of the year. My dad had lots of 4x2 pickups and he'd run four studded snows in the winter even though it was a 2 wheel drive. I plow my driveway and I have alot to plow. You can't beat Cooper snow tires. I used to run Cooper M&S but being the best tire ever , they discontinued them . So now they've replaced them with the Cooper Snow Claw and thats what I'm running this winter. I've plowed 5 or 6 times and they work very good. My girlfriend runs Cooper TrueNorth snow tires on her subaru in the winter.
This Saturday new england and the east coast is supposed to get a good storm. 12" plus most places and thoses rich bastards with the beach houses are forcasted to get 20".
Canada I believe has a law Snow tires only in the winter. I'm sure our canadian members will weigh in on this.
Who yo callin " thoses rich bastards with the beach houses"? :mad:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
only in Quebec. in ontario as long as a tire meets the requirements to pass a safety inspection you can run whatever whenever.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I feel sorry for you guys in the Glaciated North.

36° here this morning with a predicted high in the mid-60's.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Well, we have dodged the bullet so far, but our luck may be running out. This from the NWS:

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY EVENING THROUGH
THURSDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy mixed precipitation possible. Total snow
accumulations between 6 and 9 inches and sleet accumulations
around one quarter of an inch. Ice accumulations up to one-quarter
of an inch are possible in southeast Missouri and southwest
Illinois.

* WHERE...Portions of south central, southwest, and west central
Illinois. Portions of central, east central, northeast, and
southeast Missouri.

* WHEN...From Tuesday evening through Thursday evening.

* IMPACTS...The strong winds and weight of snow and ice on tree
limbs may down power lines and could cause sporadic power outages.
Significant ice accumulation on power lines and tree limbs may
cause widespread and long-lasting power outages. Travel could be
very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the Tuesday
evening and Wednesday morning commutes.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.

Persons should consider delaying all travel. Motorists should use
extreme caution if travel is absolutely necessary.

Do not touch downed lines and report any power outages to your
electric company. Travel is highly discouraged due to slick roadways
and the possibility of downed trees and power lines.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Here in northern Indiana, we're supposed to get rain starting Tuesday evening, cooling off after midnight, a fair amount of snow starting early Wednesday AM, and continuing through Thursday. Right now were are in the possible 12-18 inch band.
Looks like the JD430 might get some exercise.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We are riding the weather roller coaster. Our highs will be touching 70° through Thursday and then our lows will be below freezing for the next week. :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
70% chance of rain tomorrow. 80% chance of rain Wednesday. Then a freezing mix Thursday. 🙄🙄🙄🙄 Should be fun!!!!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Had to run in to the big city Columbus today. They are saying rain, ice and the up to 4” snow. I live 60 miles northwest of town so who knows what we end up with. Gonna pick up some ice melt to go with the bags of sand I have in the garage. Not taking a fall on the ice like I did last year