The first b5100 Delorean

huey

Equipment
b6200d
Sep 17, 2020
Lakeport michigan
Thanks Huey, might be a good idea to keep all the stainless the same texture.
Don't know if the Bauer brand of tools are available to you but the surface conditioning tool is what the body shops use when doing the brushed finish metabo brand also has the same tool just thought id pass this along incase you havent seen this tool
Screenshot_20230226_153428_Chrome.jpg

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Is there anyone out there that could post a few pictures of the levers and springs. Most of mine have rusted to dust. I'll make them myself just not sure where they went or what they looked like.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Is there anyone out there that can post me a few pictures of their dash from a b5100 ,B6100 or even a B 7100.? I need to see how the accelerator, and shut down lever fit on..to also show any springs as well please. I started this little tractor for the first time in ten yrs today. Took loads of heater plug but it fired eventually. Bit of smoke at first but it ran lovely after. I'm itching to be able to take it for a spin so any help would be great.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Looked in the pic archives and found these, probably not much help, but the tractor is 150 miles from here, and it's garage is under 4-5' of snow.
Yellow arrow points to the shut down "trigger".

IMG_0020 4.11.41 PM 4.11.41 PM.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0035 trigger.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Looked in the pic archives and found these, probably not much help, but the tractor is 150 miles from here, and it's garage is under 4-5' of snow.
Yellow arrow points to the shut down "trigger".

Thanks lil foot,

Those photos help me with the acceleration lever. I can see which route that takes and can make one to suite. I still can't figure out how the shut down lever works given the orientation of my lever on the valves. I have a lever in the rusted pile of parts that has a black knob with writing that says "pull to shut off". But I also have the thumb pull lever you have shown with the arrow 🤔. Are there 2 means of shouting down the engine on these little Kubotas?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Are there 2 means of shouting down the engine on these little Kubotas?
Not that I know of.
But there are two different throttle lever setups.
One (like mine) slows down as you push the lever forward, and speeds up as you pull it back.
The other setup is just the opposite.
Not sure what years they used each type, (mine is a 1979 gear) maybe when they transitioned to the new style front axle? (6 bolt instead of 4 bolt)
Maybe HST vs gear?

Mine just drops to idle all the way forward, and to shut down, the trigger must be pulled straight up towards the dash.

Maybe someone with the other setup will chime in here.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thanks lil foot,

Those photos help me with the acceleration lever. I can see which route that takes and can make one to suite. I still can't figure out how the shut down lever works given the orientation of my lever on the valves. I have a lever in the rusted pile of parts that has a black knob with writing that says "pull to shut off". But I also have the thumb pull lever you have shown with the arrow 🤔. Are there 2 means of shouting down the engine on these little Kubotas?
I am not sure what your confusion is exactly but noticed you state “…lever on the valves.” in your reply.

I have an L185 so a different model but the throttle and orientation of part are very similar to the pictures above.

The throttle is a lever that pulls back to increase RPMs and forward to lower RPMs as @Lil Foot describes. There is also a foot throttle. Both of them only return the engine to idle. To shut the engine off the lever that has the yellow arrow pointing to it (vertical plate steel with a finger notch) has to be held up for a few seconds (with the throttle being at idle).

I have never looked at exactly what is moved but it is in the injecto pump to cut fuel off completely through the pump. It has nothing to do with the release of compression in the cylinders of the engine. But there is a decompression knob on the dash to pull out to help the engine start (and probably for emergency shutdowns) but should not be used regularly for stop the engine. I have also read that some tractors had a knob that was pulled out to shut down the engine. But I am pretty sure that knob does the same thing as the lever discussed above and shuts down the fuel flow through the injection pump. I think that the cable would be running to the inj pump to pull the rack closed.

PS: If you reply to a post and type inside the words “quote” your reply is inside the quote along with the original text. Put your text outside the words “quote” and it works and looks better. I had to copy your text and paste it above to make it look like I replied to your post.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Thanks for the replies guys. Admittedly I think the confusion is all on my part mainly because I haven't seen this tractor assembled "as built" ever, so I'm kinda doing a jig saw with out the box.
Up to now I was turning off the engine by decompressing the valves which I have now read isn't ideal. If I understand you correctly does the thumb lever and the throttle lever both control the injector pump ,one to open one to retard/ close? I'll
try it to see does that work,I'll also post a pic of my lever rods and it might make more sense.
I am not sure what your confusion is exactly but noticed you state “…lever on the valves.” in your reply.

I have an L185 so a different model but the throttle and orientation of part are very similar to the pictures above.

The throttle is a lever that pulls back to increase RPMs and forward to lower RPMs as @Lil Foot describes. There is also a foot throttle. Both of them only return the engine to idle. To shut the engine off the lever that has the yellow arrow pointing to it (vertical plate steel with a finger notch) has to be held up for a few seconds (with the throttle being at idle).

I have never looked at exactly what is moved but it is in the injecto pump to cut fuel off completely through the pump. It has nothing to do with the release of compression in the cylinders of the engine. But there is a decompression knob on the dash to pull out to help the engine start (and probably for emergency shutdowns) but should not be used regularly for stop the engine. I have also read that some tractors had a knob that was pulled out to shut down the engine. But I am pretty sure that knob does the same thing as the lever discussed above and shuts down the fuel flow through the injection pump. I think that the cable would be running to the inj pump to pull the rack closed.

PS: If you reply to a post and type inside the words “quote” your reply is inside the quote along with the original text. Put your text outside the words “quote” and it works and looks better. I had to copy your text and paste it above to make it look like I replied to your post.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not sure about any of those rods, but I know I don't have one with a round knob like that, and the silver one on the right does not look factory to me.
More dash pics from brochure and manual.
Mine does not have the "Hazard Lamp Switch", but is otherwise just like these pics.

pg8ex.jpg
mandash.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
I think my one with the knob is shown on your last picture. The silver one is a copy I made of the rusted original.
So I think ye have answered alot of my questions. I have the lever to the throttle sorted now and can fit that....(I'll be using the thumb lever on this to turn off the engine 👍)
After seeing your last picture I went back to the rust bucket and found the last remains of my dash which confirms the decompression knob was in the dash. I just need to figure out was this on a linkage/ lever or a cable.
I don't have that extra foot pedal for @russellking mentioned.
I'll take a look at that parts manual thanks @huey.
Thanks for all your input lads I'll hopefully get another little step closer over the weekend.
I've gone through the last few bits in my "where do these go bucket" if anyone recognise them they might let me know.
Also on the drawing it shows springs attached to the brake levers but I can't see where the spring on the lever attached to the tractor body?

Not sure about any of those rods, but I know I don't have one with a round knob like that, and the silver one on the right does not look factory to me.
More dash pics from brochure and manual.
Mine does not have the "Hazard Lamp Switch", but is otherwise just like these pics.

View attachment 97640 View attachment 97641