The first b5100 Delorean

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Don't be afraid to eliminate the electrical plug in connectors. They are part of the harness only to facilitate assembly and future maintenance but if they are in bad shape and might create a poor connection point I would solder the wires together.

Dave
Very Good point Dave didn't think of that....🤔...I've the wires cut to copy the old set up now. I've ordered a few of those block connectors online. If they look shite I might just solder them up as you say. Any ideas where is the best place to put that earth from the battery to the body. Was thinking of putting it on one of the bolts securing the clutch housing to the engine...it kills me to have to sand down my paint job to get a good connection.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Very Good point Dave didn't think of that....🤔...I've the wires cut to copy the old set up now. I've ordered a few of those block connectors online. If they look shite I might just solder them up as you say. Any ideas where is the best place to put that earth from the battery to the body. Was thinking of putting it on one of the bolts securing the clutch housing to the engine...it kills me to have to sand down my paint job to get a good connection.

Attachments

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Main earth connection off the battery to be put on there, under the fuel tank, to minimise water damage/corrosion. Anyone with an opinion on where's best ?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Main earth connection off the battery to be put on there, under the fuel tank, to minimise water damage/corrosion. Anyone with an opinion on where's best ?
What I have helped owners of these old machines over many years is starting problems.

The starter relies on a good electrical contact with the engine block to be able to flow current. On older machines, these mating surfaces get corroded and now the electrical ground path becomes iffy.

My advice has been to add an additional ground cable with two eyes, one on each end to their tractor.

Chose any location you wish for the main battery cable ground but then run this two eye cable from that point to a starter mounting bolt.

Your main harness ground point could be either the main ground cable to the block or the starter mounting bolt.

Dave

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
What I have helped owners of these old machines over many years is starting problems.

The starter relies on a good electrical contact with the engine block to be able to flow current. On older machines, these mating surfaces get corroded and now the electrical ground path becomes iffy.

My advice has been to add an additional ground cable with two eyes, one on each end to their tractor.

Chose any location you wish for the main battery cable ground but then run this two eye cable from that point to a starter mounting bolt.

Your main harness ground point could be either the main ground cable to the block or the starter mounting bolt.

Dave
Solid advice thanks Dave. I'll definitely go with that.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Hi Guys ,I've been away for a long time but I've finally got motivated again to try finish this project. I put together my new exhaust today. I wasn't sure what to do for baffles so I kinda winged it and hoped for the best. I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
I'm delighted how it looks on the tractor. Must finish my wiring and get her started in the next few days.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I did some more to the bonnet last week. Gave up on sourcing round lights for now and added high power leds instead.
Please....do not forget about us!
WE LOVE watching your project!

Reactions: 1 users

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
IMG_20230218_171906.jpg

My Kids are at an age they might try take this stainless Frankenstein for a spin so tied in a hidden kill switch under the seat, done in series with the clutch safety switch.

Reactions: 1 users

huey

Equipment
b6200d
Sep 17, 2020
Lakeport michigan
Wow you are doing a very impressive job I was a welder for the power plants where I live until I retired 2 years ago I hated welding stainless instead of painting orange when you are finished I would use scotch bright on all the surfaces just like the DeLorean and then maybe a orange tinted clear coat to show off your work 😀

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Wow you are doing a very impressive job I was a welder for the power plants where I live until I retired 2 years ago I hated welding stainless instead of painting orange when you are finished I would use scotch bright on all the surfaces just like the DeLorean and then maybe a orange tinted clear coat to show off your work 😀
Thanks Huey, might be a good idea to keep all the stainless the same texture.