The first b5100 Delorean

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Nice to have you back, John. Love those photos of the main sections just painted in Kubota blue. I was wondering how you intend to finish the stainless parts once the fabrication is finished. My research into how stainless holds up in the marine environment suggests that the more you can polish the metal the more resistant it is to corrosion. The polishing process seems to alter the surface characteristics significantly and is particularly useful near welded areas. A fully polished stainless tractor might just be a little too bling bling for most people but maybe after moderate polishing you might consider hitting it with something to give it a satin finish, leaving it more like the ill-fated Delorean. What are you thoughts?
Tnx man.Good to be making progress again.
Im not sure what ill do to be honest...im going to put everything back together and see how daft it looks.my gut tells me to paint the mud guards and bonnet orange and leave the rest SS its not going to rot in my lifetime but it just wont look right.Trying to remember how it goes back is my biggest problem at the minute, that and tapping the paint out of all the threaded holes.I never thought of leaving the bolts in the holes so that they got painted too :mad:

Aardvark

Equipment
B5100E
Nov 25, 2009
Brittany, France
I have a feeling you will have problems getting paint to stick to ss. It may need a seriously savage acid etch primer to get a key. I understand your problem with the paint in the holes. A slow fiddly process but a lesson learned! Good luck.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
John,

Just wondering how the project is coming? Did you ever get her finished or is she still a work in progress?

I linked this thread in another gent's thread, who is also located in Ireland, who is looking to build a front pto assembly for his tractor. I encouraged him to contact you figuring you might let him measure the parts or possibly buy the clutch assembly if you've decided not to use it. Anyway, figured new friends are always good!

Hope things are well at your end.

Kind regards,

Steve

Last edited:

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Hi Steve,Holleyman,
Ive been a stranger to my garage and this website for a few months.Still very much a work in progress...or a work in not so much progress.Not much time on my hands at present but Im hoping in the new year I can change all that.
Steve,
No bother...If that chap wants a few measurements theres no problem.Ill be keeping my emc but if my clutch plate and pressure plate is any good to him he can take them away.

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Hi John,

Thanks for the update. Good to know that you're busy, and overall, I hope things have been going well. Being in demand is a good sign!

I appreciate your willingness to share measurements if the other chap has interest.

Kind regards,

Steve

Apogee

Equipment
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I've also been wondering if John ever got her finished. I hope he's doing well. Amazing work!

Steve

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Click on his name in orange and you can send him an email, he hasn't been on here in over year. ;)

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Hello men, I've made another come back. Trying to make a final push to finish this little tractor. the bonnet isn't finished I just put it up on top so ye get a picture of what she will look like.
IMG_20200618_204251.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Must say I like the new look to the website.
It's been so long since I first started this little project I can hardly remember taking it apart. I'm hopping some of the little B owners might come to my assistance. I cant remember which side the wiring loom travels on the tractor. I'm guessing exhaust side but can someone confirm please. This poor ladies wiring is in quite the state. I've most of it traced now from the elec drawings and I plan to change all the wires for new. Just want to be sure I'm leaving them long enough at this initial stage..I'll probably be back look for info about that in a few weeks too.
Any help is much appreciated
John

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Oh yeah....if ye do get a chance to have a look at the loom can you take a snap of how the main earth is wired to the body. This is like doing a jigsaw with out the cover 😬🤪

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Started the loom replacement job... it's been difficult to get similar colour wires to the old so I mixed and matched.
Don't be afraid to eliminate the electrical plug in connectors. They are part of the harness only to facilitate assembly and future maintenance but if they are in bad shape and might create a poor connection point I would solder the wires together.

Dave