Stuff to drag around behind my little tractor

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have been looking for a back blade or a box plow since I got my little BX, I have found a few and left them lay because seems everybody that has one thinks they are worth their weight in gold. I found some real junk and they wanted almost as much as a new one (crazy people) so for kicks I stopped at the stealer just to see what he had to say about finding used stuff. Ofcourse he has all kinds of neat little toys, but there aint enough inthe Egg money jar for them. So I asked him point blank WHY AINT THERE ANYTHING AROUND,use to be all over the place, every old farm had stuff laying around you could pick up. He said that even on trade ins they very seldom get used implaments. And as far as old stuff out there the scrap markey gobbled up tons of old stuff, when scrap when crazy any thing laying around went to the scrap yards and thats why you cant find anything used,,,,, Now if you'll just sign right here for the NEW Woods box plow!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I guess what I was asking or whining about, was, is there a real shortage on used stuff or is it maybe just up here inthe coal country??

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
I find used things pretty reasonably in my area. I might have to look for a couple weeks to find exactly what I THINK I NEED. handy

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Sooooooo, did you get the new Woods?

A while back my dealer told me that the used anything, tractors or implements, are so hard to find because the tractor owner have neighbors that want the stuff. They are the first in line followed by family.

And now your reason makes lots of sense for the recycle heap. That suck eggs.

Scott

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Nada on the Woods, I figure I'll look around some more first and if worse comes to worse well maybe

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Skeets, Up here in the great white north where we have no stinkin snow but we do still have a fairly good supply of used stuff. Most people get in a hurry when they want something like this. Take your time watch kijiji and craigslist. Patience is a virtue and will be rewarded. Spotted a Steiner 420 4x4 for $350.00 a basket case but lots of good parts. When you spot something like that you grab the egg money the kids piggy banks and go.:D Dusty

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Me personally I wait and save up what amount I need to and then go buy what toys I want to play with. And I'll spend the few extra dollars and get the top of the line equipment because its built with quality and will be the last thing I'll ever have to buy and not keep dumping tons of money in "throw away" equipment.

SoCal Kubota

Equipment
BX24, BX2750D
Nov 5, 2009
Running Springs, CA.
Take your time. I was looking for a box scraper when this grader blade fell into my hands. I would ask people I worked with and found someone that had it in his yard for years. I tried to pay him but he wouldn't take any money.

It's a 6 footer, a little big for a BX. It works grate for 2 to 3 inches of snow.

Attachments

handyman

Equipment
Kubota B7100HST-E
Sep 18, 2009
Dayton,Tn.
you can always take grinder and cutting disk and cut 6-9 inches off each end. Man you have a nice looking BX and setup. handy

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Oh joy of joys,,, I ran into a riding bud today and we shot the bull for a while and talk got around to HDs and stuff, now he is a wheeler dealer and I mentioned that I was looking to build a box plow, if I could. He said hey ya know what if you need a rear drag blade I have one behind the shed, so I went and loaded it up said I couldnt have it back for a few days as Im working some long shifts, he says no worries you just keep it as long as you want it and if I need it I know where it is,,, WAY COOL,, I still want to build the box plow/blade, and with the help of you guys in here I know I'll get the right answers when I do,,,,, Now the question is this how do I adjust the 3 PH to use the bloody thing,, I know I should have figured this out before but now the blade is inthe garage and I want to hook it up right to make sure I dont bugger anything up,,like the tractor,,it looks simple enough,,BUT there are always little tricks to make things easyer and simpler and right,, so let me have it guys and thanks much
Peace
Skeets

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Skeets, you are a lucky man with good friends!

Don't worry about the blade and don't over think about it. No matter what you are told, none of it will make since until you actually hit the dirt.

Mount it normally as a 3PH impliment and use the adjustable lengths to achieve your desired angles. You probably wont even know the angles until it doesn't do what you want.

Find some loose soil and go play - drink beer - repeat :D

Scott

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LMAO,, now I have to clean coffee off my screen,,,, good advice,,,:)

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
It has always grated on me that other people set the price of equipment, cars, and other toys through "book" prices. Then nobody bothers to read the fine print.

The books are "JUST A GUIDE" to the actual value and then they tell you to adjust the price according to condition, age, and features. Even though they tell you all of this I'm sure most people are familiar with the 1/2 (One half) rule. As soon as you use it, and sometimes as soon as it's no longer "on the lot" it's only worth half what you paid for it. I.E. the wholesale law.

I routinely see ads where people rave about people offering them scrap prices for beat up equipment thinking it's exactly what someone else needs although they cannot tell you what models that specific equipment fit to begin with.

When someone demands that their property is beyond all reason worth more than the market will bear I walk away.

What's your opinion on pricing? Mind you I have been a wholesaler, jobber, and retailer of different items, so I have a bit of an advantage.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I still say wait a little bit, save up some dollar bills and get something that will stand the test of time and last you forever. My dad owns a Gehil grading box which I think alomst 30 years ago was made by Woods. And to this day it still works fantastic behind the tractor. Despite needing a fresh coat of paint for eye pleasing looks, his grading box is as straight square and true today as it was the day he bought it brand new almost 30 years ago. Not a single bend, crease or dent anywhere on the grading box. Look at it like this spend a few extra Benjamin's now and it will pay off in the long run over time.

Green Mountain Slim

Equipment
Kubota B8200, Kioti C2610 Cab, BX1500, B7100 (kinda)
Feb 23, 2010
Morrisville, Vermont
I still say wait a little bit, save up some dollar bills and get something that will stand the test of time and last you forever. My dad owns a Gehil grading box which I think alomst 30 years ago was made by Woods. And to this day it still works fantastic behind the tractor. Despite needing a fresh coat of paint for eye pleasing looks, his grading box is as straight square and true today as it was the day he bought it brand new almost 30 years ago. Not a single bend, crease or dent anywhere on the grading box. Look at it like this spend a few extra Benjamin's now and it will pay off in the long run over time.
I absolutely agree with the buy the best arguement, but sometimes best used is a better value.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Your totally right, but as we all know it takes someone having to kick the bucket and keel over before you get a used piece of equipment!:D