Stopped dead

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
My 3240HST with 623 hrs. just decided to stop dead while running. The dash lights up but no cranking or anything. A storms on it's way and can't check it out now, but does anyone have suggestions on what to look for when I get back out there? It didn't cough or sputter before dying, just went kaput. There's plenty of gas but went through the bleeding process anyway. I think its unrelated, but I was on here a month ago talking about a small leak at the split plug on the clutch. It is hydro fluid leaking. Seems that as long as I watch the fluids I can wait till Fall to have it fixed. Got to be electrical to stop that quick I would think. Thanks for the help before and for this in advance.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Wouldn't bet on electrical yet, but you need to go down a list of things...

Does it crank over?
Does it "click" when you turn the ignition to 'on'?
Any attempt to even try starting when you crank?

All the details you can furnish would really help us in helping you diagnose the issue.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Check to see if something snatched the wire off the shutoff solenoid(if so equipped). Also might have blown the fuse, or shorted the wire. that's my WAG...:D

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I guess I'm following the other guys.

What were you doing when it quit?

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
The tractor dash lights up, thats it. No cranking, no clicking like a bad starter. I had just picked up a load of dirt and was moving up a small incline when it just quit. Would a gas line issue make it stop dead in it's tracks? The couple times I've ran out of gas it sputtered a bit.
The safety switches were disconnected years ago. Before it started raining the starter relay fuse was all I was able to check. Are there other fuses to check?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Could one of the now disconnected safety switches be shorting against something causing it to activate shut down/off?

Does that model (if any) have a low oil pressure cut off?

Sorry... don't know one model from another so I'll ask... does it have diesel exhaust fluid.....and a shut off if it is low?

Last edited:

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
The seat safety switch is nutted together and looks fine. I don't think any of those switches shut down the motor though. I just think it's got to be electrical, I just don't know what to check or put a meter on. With things like this it takes me days of hit and miss and it ends up being something very simple if you knew what you were doing......very frustrating.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The tractor dash lights up, thats it. No cranking, no clicking like a bad starter.

This is an "L" series yes?

If the starter will not make a sound - then it has to be one of two places, battery voltage or wiring to and from. That could be a fuse, or a bad ground too, or could be a mouse chewed through a wire and then a small bump set the wire off, or grounded it. On my BX the switch kills the engine, on the B7100 the switch starts it only. On your machine is the fuel injector pump activated by an electrical means or mechanical one? Again the BX uses an electrical and the B uses a mechanical one. I would test for voltage throughout the entire system and start with battery then grounds, then fuses, then wires, then .....

I had just picked up a load of dirt and was moving up a small incline when it just quit.Was there a bump - or smooth movement when it quit? Reason I ask - that bump could be the jarring of a wire somewhere.

Would a gas line issue make it stop dead in it's tracks?

The fuel line could, but if you are bleeding up to the injectors......that should be fine, when you bled the line, did you bleed to the injectors? or just to the pump? Could be the pump quit - then again it should still turn over.

The couple times I've ran out of gas it sputtered a bit.
The safety switches were disconnected years ago. Before it started raining the starter relay fuse was all I was able to check. Are there other fuses to check?

Based on what you have said - it sounds electrical - due to the fact that is has killed the starting side of the machine. I would run fuses through a multimeter first and look for a "main" fuse somewhere.

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
Thanks for the great info 85Hokie,

I'll have to investigate if injector is elec., just don't know.

No bumps or jars.....just dead stop.

Yeh, nothing going to the starter from what I can tell.

If it were a main fuse would the dash light up?

I'm not all that proficient with a meter. The fuse check would be continuity I would think.....or ohms. Everything coming from the battery would be volts....correct?

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Check your battery. Had a similar thing happen on my truck. Backed up to a trailer to hook it up, shut off the engine, and when I went to start it-nothing. Enough voltage to work the dash but that was it. Try turning your headlights on to see if they come on. Voltage on the battery should read around 12.5 volts if you have a meter.

Tuckler

May 18, 2015
Asheville NC
Yeah! It was the "Key stop" fuse, whatever that is. Would still like to know why it blew. Thanks for all the suggestions.

One other thing: Maybe I never noticed before, but when the hydro control lever for my box blade is in the fully up position....all the way up, I get a whine and loose a lot of power for the bucket. if I drop it down just a notch, the whine goes away and I get full power to the bucket. Is this an issue, or something I just never noticed before?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yeah! It was the "Key stop" fuse, whatever that is. Would still like to know why it blew. Thanks for all the suggestions.....
Key stop is the fuel solenoid circuit, if it blows again you either have a short in the wiring, bad fuel solenoid relay or a bad fuel solenoid.

Last edited by a moderator:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH