Side Hustles / Hobby Business

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I had a chainsaw repair business going before covid. Haven't gotten back into it since to the dismay of some.

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Storage would be my idea. With horses, you need to let other people come on to your property at all times. Not something I am willing to do.

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
One of my Granddaughters who is a stay at home Mom makes custom lettered Tee shirts after the kids go to bed. All are shipped out & prepaid from her website

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Storage would be my idea. With horses, you need to let other people come on to your property at all times. Not something I am willing to do.
Do you suppose people don’t visit their stored items…?

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Do you suppose people don’t visit their stored items…?
Up here in the north country....winter storage for boats, rvs, campers, ATVs, etc is a big thing. When I built my 50 x 70 storage shed, I rented half out for seasonal storage over the winter. Whatever was stored was in by end of Oct. (or earlier) and didn't come out until spring,....or around April 1st. Generally about 6 months.

I parked the items in the shed and retrieved them for their pickup. No coming and going by the custormers unless by appointment ok'd by me. No problem finding custormers just by word of mouth. They paid for the building after a number of years while I still had room for my stuff. Now it's almost all my stuff and hardly any room left inside. :ROFLMAO: Time to start thinning the herd.

acruxksa

Equipment
LX2610, lx2963, bb2572
Jan 15, 2024
Anchorage, Alaska
Funny you should mention this. I recently started a snow blowing business .................... brand new tractor w/ snow blower and box blade...... only ONE customer at the moment. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
With 5 acres you could start a small hobby farm growing Herbs or Lavender or strawberries. You have the piece of equipment. You can write it off as well. My wife and I thought about a lavender farm because of the all the organic soaps that are made. Every place we buy them folks ask if grow something they can use for their soaps.

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
The ideas are endless IF you want to put in the effort. 9 years ago I invested $7K into a small trailer, an industrial power washer, and everything else I needed to startup a power washing business. I worked every evening after work, and every day on the weekends. The first year I made over $100K working part time and quit my job to do it full time. The second year I started getting national contracts like Good Will, grocery store chains, City Hall, banks, and it tripled after that. Then I divorced my wife, and walked away from it all. I have a brand new setup now and will be rolling out the new business come spring...

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
The ideas are endless IF you want to put in the effort. 9 years ago I invested $7K into a small trailer, an industrial power washer, and everything else I needed to startup a power washing business. I worked every evening after work, and every day on the weekends. The first year I made over $100K working part time and quit my job to do it full time. The second year I started getting national contracts like Good Will, grocery store chains, City Hall, banks, and it tripled after that. Then I divorced my wife, and walked away from it all. I have a brand new setup now and will be rolling out the new business come spring...
Interesting, I have seen many YT video's on this, but with my schedule and age, I'd prefer a home based business. But Best of luck on the new venture!

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
With 5 acres you could start a small hobby farm growing Herbs or Lavender or strawberries. You have the piece of equipment. You can write it off as well. My wife and I thought about a lavender farm because of the all the organic soaps that are made. Every place we buy them folks ask if grow something they can use for their soaps.
That is a cool idea, and we are already considering this. But living in Canada we get long and drab winters, so I need something for that time as well..

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Are you indicating your wife was spending too much of your hard earned money so you divorced her?

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Some great ideas. I am also looking to get a side hustle going as winters are no more. I have a seasonal business May till the end of Oct and use to just enjoy the winters ice fishing snowmobiling and all that fun winter stuff. The past few years has resulted in non of the fun winter stuff so I’m thinking why not make some extra cash.
I’ve been considering a wood mill as a way to side hustle and fill the gap of winter. I also do maple syrup as a side hustle. Last year around 250 trees on vacuum so not a huge operation. I’ve sold out every year. Could be another thing for yourself to consider. With the winters being so all over the place the past few seasons of maple haven’t been the greatest though. That’s why I’m looking for other ways to hustle in my off season.
I’ll never stop tapping though lol.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I always wanted to start a Giglio service

Reactions: 1 users

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
Are you indicating your wife was spending too much of your hard earned money so you divorced her?

That along with a ton of other things. She was probably the most beautiful and sexiest woman I have ever laid eyes on but holy crap, she was the most insanely jealous person I have ever met in my life and a severe narcissist...I built the business with MY money and MY time before I ever married her and walked away and gave her everything. That's how bad I wanted away from her!!! I'm very thankful I left when I did because it gave me two great years with my dad before he unexpectedly passed.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
That is a cool idea, and we are already considering this. But living in Canada we get long and drab winters, so I need something for that time as well..
I can see you haven't looked that far into it....Sorry. So in spring you plant, summer you go out and get folks who you want to buy your Lavender. Fall you harvest and dry out your product which you then ship. Winter you go out and get folks who want to buy your product and do maintenance on your equipment. You are never bored if you want to make $$$. The hustle lasts all year long. If you have herbs and lavender, then you have drying and shipping those or making them into something which you then sell online throughout the winter. Lazy is the farmer who is bored in winter. The ones that live be me are millionaires for a reason, not just in their vast land holdings and equipment.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
That along with a ton of other things. She was probably the most beautiful and sexiest woman I have ever laid eyes on but holy crap, she was the most insanely jealous person I have ever met in my life and a severe narcissist...I built the business with MY money and MY time before I ever married her and walked away and gave her everything. That's how bad I wanted away from her!!! I'm very thankful I left when I did because it gave me two great years with my dad before he unexpectedly passed.
My thoughts are with you..... Glad you had time with your dad and glad you left that.....I understand a narcissist.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If I needed the coins, I'd plant 'organic' garlic. Locally it sells for $10 a pound( 3 plants worth),Easy to plant, easy to grow, easy to harvest, easy to sell. Deer don't like it, not much does, so it grows. Save the best for next years crop and input costs are tiny.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
When starting a small business it would be good to set up all the accounts that might be needed on day one. An accountant can help you with that and it will cost some money but understanding how you will have to "entertain" the various taxing agency's is critical. Getting started off on the right foot is much better than correcting things after they get out of hand.

I would suggest an accounting program such as QuickBooks to help you. When setting up accounts in your accounting program get an income tax program and do a trial run and pay attention to all of the questions that are asked. For example; the tax program will be asking for vehicle expenses so if you had been using accounts for gas, oil, insurance, tag, repairs and tolls those figures will be readily available for tax purposes. Of course there may be home office, equipment, materials and numerous other things to keep track of.

No, a shoe box full of receipts delivered to your tax preparer on April 14th ain't a good idea.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I always wanted to start a Giglio service
I started one, but the clientele was very demanding and they never could get enough of me. I had to quit before they wore out my body.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users